Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there!

Until recently, source.squeak.org/squeak46 was a redirection to trunk. Now it isn't anymore and my Squeak quits the updating process with a "Unable to retrieve updates from a remote repository."

Is it a cache thingy? How to fix it?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

Levente Uzonyi-2
Chris Muller has created the actual 4.6 repository 10 days ago, so the old
redirect is gone for good. That repository is not suitable to update a 4.5
image (or trunk image), it will only work with the - to be released - 4.6
images.
I wonder what's missing to get 4.6 released.

Levente

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015, marcel.taeumel wrote:

> Hi, there!
>
> Until recently, source.squeak.org/squeak46 was a redirection to trunk. Now
> it isn't anymore and my Squeak quits the updating process with a "Unable to
> retrieve updates from a remote repository."
>
> Is it a cache thingy? How to fix it?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

marcel.taeumel
I have a working 4.6 image here. Just wanted to get the latest stuff. I am not trying to update from a 4.5 to 4.6 here. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

Chris Muller-3
> I have a working 4.6 image here. Just wanted to get the latest stuff. I am
> not trying to update from a 4.5 to 4.6 here. :-)

The latest stuff for 4.6 is still in the trunk repository.  Update
from trunk until 4.6 is released.

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

Chris Muller-3
> I wonder what's missing to get 4.6 released.

- The regression with Warning needs to be fixed.
- Final VM package(s) from Eliot with included man page, "-version"
output fix, and your SqueakSSL plugin.
- Once we have the above two, we need to make the All-In-One.

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 10:30:25AM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> > I wonder what's missing to get 4.6 released.

Good, this is a short list.

> - The regression with Warning needs to be fixed.

Sorry for having to ask, but can you give a pointer to the issue? Thanks.

> - Final VM package(s) from Eliot with included man page, "-version"
> output fix, and your SqueakSSL plugin.

I'd be quite happy with whichever version Eliot says is good. We need
a good stable VM version to correspond with the image release, and to
use in th all-in-one. Beyond that, the Cog and Spur development are clearly
progressing at a rapid pace, and we should expect that some folks will
want to continue to update to the latest versions, for example if they
are interested in an updated SqueakSSL plugin. So from my perspective,
if Eliot points to VM.r3370 and says it's done, then it's done :-)

> - Once we have the above two, we need to make the All-In-One.

Hopefully this can be an update from the 4.5 All-In-One.

Thanks Chris!

Dave

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

marcel.taeumel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

Chris Muller-3
It appears to happen under the interpreter VM as well, so my thought
is the cause is image related..

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 2:38 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://forum.world.st/Is-this-a-bug-with-Step-quot-Over-quot-td4830736.html
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

marcel.taeumel
How can we create a diff of Debugger, BlockClosure, and Process classes (and their superclasses)?

Best,
Marcel

How to compare versions (was Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working)

Bert Freudenberg
On 17.06.2015, at 09:48, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can we create a diff of Debugger, BlockClosure, and Process classes (and
> their superclasses)?

Using MC’s history tool you can compare a package to an older version:

Unfortunately you need to do this for each package again, and you see the diff for all classes in the package.

Or you could make an MC package containing just the classes you want. See attachment. File this into the new image, save the ‘Foo’ package. File changeset into old image, view changes vs. the ‘Foo-xy.1’ you just saved.

This would actually be an idea for a new tool: you could add a class and say “compare to release x.y” which would find the right package version, build a diff, and filter it for this class … Couldn’t your “vivide” do that? ;)

- Bert -

PastedGraphic-7.png (45K) Download Attachment
PastedGraphic-9.png (39K) Download Attachment
FooInfo.st (822 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

Karl Ramberg
With history of package in MonticelloBrowser you can see changes/diff to working copy.
It's not tracking diff on class level but package level.

Karl

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 9:48 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
How can we create a diff of Debugger, BlockClosure, and Process classes (and
their superclasses)?

Best,
Marcel

Re: How to compare versions (was Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working)

Karl Ramberg
Ah,
Bert already answered this :-)

Karl

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 17.06.2015, at 09:48, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can we create a diff of Debugger, BlockClosure, and Process classes (and
> their superclasses)?

Using MC’s history tool you can compare a package to an older version:

Unfortunately you need to do this for each package again, and you see the diff for all classes in the package.

Or you could make an MC package containing just the classes you want. See attachment. File this into the new image, save the ‘Foo’ package. File changeset into old image, view changes vs. the ‘Foo-xy.1’ you just saved.

This would actually be an idea for a new tool: you could add a class and say “compare to release x.y” which would find the right package version, build a diff, and filter it for this class … Couldn’t your “vivide” do that? ;)

- Bert -

Re: How to compare versions (was Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working)

Karl Ramberg
And there is a bug if you select 'search history' when <working copy> is selected.

Karl

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:02 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah,
Bert already answered this :-)

Karl

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 17.06.2015, at 09:48, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can we create a diff of Debugger, BlockClosure, and Process classes (and
> their superclasses)?

Using MC’s history tool you can compare a package to an older version:

Unfortunately you need to do this for each package again, and you see the diff for all classes in the package.

Or you could make an MC package containing just the classes you want. See attachment. File this into the new image, save the ‘Foo’ package. File changeset into old image, view changes vs. the ‘Foo-xy.1’ you just saved.

This would actually be an idea for a new tool: you could add a class and say “compare to release x.y” which would find the right package version, build a diff, and filter it for this class … Couldn’t your “vivide” do that? ;)

- Bert -

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

Chris Muller-3
One way would be to diff the packages from 4.5-13686, but you will get
a lot of extra stuff, but maybe filtering will help..?

       Kernel-cwp.844 --> Kernel-eem.929   "BlockClosure and Process diffs"
       Tools

Wait!  Here's another clue.  I just tried it in a MVC project and it
seems to behave correctly..!  So maybe it is something in
Tools-Morphic..?

      Tools-cmm.519 --> Tools-mt.625     "Debugger diffs"

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:48 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can we create a diff of Debugger, BlockClosure, and Process classes (and
> their superclasses)?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

marcel.taeumel
Same behavior in MVC land here. Three Warning-Debuggers pop-up immediately. Even one more with nil DNU #findContextSuchThat: because the process seems to have no suspendedContext... *hmpf*

Best,
Marcel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.6 stopped working

Chris Muller-3
> Same behavior in MVC land here. Three Warning-Debuggers pop-up immediately.

Woops, yes, you're right.  I had tweaked the script to use Halt
instead and forgot to change it back to Warning signal.  Sorry for the
confusion..