Updating VM links for Pharo 1.1

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi. Henry made me remember that we need to update the VMs links for Pharo 1.1. We are in RC4 and very very near of the stable release. Thus, I suggest to fix this problem.

You can see in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2646

Mac:
4.2.5
Windows:
4.0.2
Linux:
4.0.3.2202

What I am not sure if we should put these links in a particular section of Pharo 1.1 or just update the current VMs links. The problem of doing the last one is that these VMs will be downloaded for both images: 1.0 and 1.1. Are there problems with it ?   The only thing I can image is if the vm has FreeType compiled.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Updating VM links for Pharo 1.1

Stéphane Ducasse
We should move to Mac 5.0 for 1.2

Stef

On Jul 7, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi. Henry made me remember that we need to update the VMs links for Pharo 1.1. We are in RC4 and very very near of the stable release. Thus, I suggest to fix this problem.
>
> You can see in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2646
>
> Mac:
> 4.2.5
> Windows:
> 4.0.2
> Linux:
> 4.0.3.2202
>
> What I am not sure if we should put these links in a particular section of Pharo 1.1 or just update the current VMs links. The problem of doing the last one is that these VMs will be downloaded for both images: 1.0 and 1.1. Are there problems with it ?   The only thing I can image is if the vm has FreeType compiled.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano _______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: Updating VM links for Pharo 1.1

SergeStinckwich
2010/7/7 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Hi. Henry made me remember that we need to update the VMs links for Pharo
> 1.1. We are in RC4 and very very near of the stable release. Thus, I suggest
> to fix this problem.
>
> You can see in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2646
>
> Mac:
> 4.2.5
> Windows:
> 4.0.2
> Linux:
> 4.0.3.2202
>
> What I am not sure if we should put these links in a particular section of
> Pharo 1.1 or just update the current VMs links. The problem of doing the
> last one is that these VMs will be downloaded for both images: 1.0 and 1.1.
> Are there problems with it ?   The only thing I can image is if the vm has
> FreeType compiled.

Hi Mariano,

maybe it's better to avoid problems by providing two distincts VMs.
And if some people reports problem from 1.0, maybe you will not know
wich VMs they used.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/7/7 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Hi. Henry made me remember that we need to update the VMs links for Pharo
> 1.1. We are in RC4 and very very near of the stable release. Thus, I suggest
> to fix this problem.
>
> You can see in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2646
>
> Mac:
> 4.2.5
> Windows:
> 4.0.2
> Linux:
> 4.0.3.2202
>
> What I am not sure if we should put these links in a particular section of
> Pharo 1.1 or just update the current VMs links. The problem of doing the
> last one is that these VMs will be downloaded for both images: 1.0 and 1.1.
> Are there problems with it ?   The only thing I can image is if the vm has
> FreeType compiled.

Hi Mariano,

maybe it's better to avoid problems by providing two distincts VMs.
And if some people reports problem from 1.0, maybe you will not know
wich VMs they used.

+1. I completly agree.

Adrian, could you do this please?

Thanks

Mariano

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Updating VM links for Pharo 1.1

Adrian Lienhard
I'm a bit confused. Do we want to have a separate set of VMs or not? Furthermore, the link to the Unix VM just goes to http://squeakvm.org/unix/, but not to a particular version.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 7, 2010, at 14:09 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Serge Stinckwich <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2010/7/7 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi. Henry made me remember that we need to update the VMs links for Pharo
>>> 1.1. We are in RC4 and very very near of the stable release. Thus, I
>> suggest
>>> to fix this problem.
>>>
>>> You can see in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2646
>>>
>>> Mac:
>>> 4.2.5
>>> Windows:
>>> 4.0.2
>>> Linux:

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm a bit confused. Do we want to have a separate set of VMs or not?

Yes, I vote to put them separated.

Furthermore, the link to the Unix VM just goes to http://squeakvm.org/unix/, but not to a particular version.

As far as I know, there is not way to link to a particular version. You can, but to a particular version/platform (for example, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, etc...)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 7, 2010, at 14:09 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Serge Stinckwich <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2010/7/7 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi. Henry made me remember that we need to update the VMs links for Pharo
>>> 1.1. We are in RC4 and very very near of the stable release. Thus, I
>> suggest
>>> to fix this problem.
>>>
>>> You can see in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2646
>>>
>>> Mac:
>>> 4.2.5
>>> Windows:
>>> 4.0.2
>>> Linux:
>>> 4.0.3.2202
>>>
>>> What I am not sure if we should put these links in a particular section
>> of
>>> Pharo 1.1 or just update the current VMs links. The problem of doing the
>>> last one is that these VMs will be downloaded for both images: 1.0 and
>> 1.1.
>>> Are there problems with it ?   The only thing I can image is if the vm
>> has
>>> FreeType compiled.
>>
>> Hi Mariano,
>>
>> maybe it's better to avoid problems by providing two distincts VMs.
>> And if some people reports problem from 1.0, maybe you will not know
>> wich VMs they used.
>>

> +1. I completly agree.
>
> Adrian, could you do this please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>

>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Updating VM links for Pharo 1.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
One concern: having separate download links in no way tells us what vm someone uses with a particular version, and we can't assume that it does.

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
I'm a bit confused. Do we want to have a separate set of VMs or not?

Yes, I vote to put them separated.

Furthermore, the link to the Unix VM just goes to http://squeakvm.org/unix/, but not to a particular version.

As far as I know, there is not way to link to a particular version. You can, but to a particular version/platform (for example, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, etc...)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 7, 2010, at 14:09 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Serge Stinckwich <
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> 2010/7/7 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>> Hi. Henry made me remember that we need to update the VMs links for Pharo
>>> 1.1. We are in RC4 and very very near of the stable release. Thus, I
>> suggest
>>> to fix this problem.
>>>
>>> You can see in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2646
>>>
>>> Mac:
>>> 4.2.5
>>> Windows:
>>> 4.0.2
>>> Linux:
>>> 4.0.3.2202
>>>
>>> What I am not sure if we should put these links in a particular section
>> of
>>> Pharo 1.1 or just update the current VMs links. The problem of doing the
>>> last one is that these VMs will be downloaded for both images: 1.0 and
>> 1.1.
>>> Are there problems with it ?   The only thing I can image is if the vm
>> has
>>> FreeType compiled.
>>
>> Hi Mariano,
>>
>> maybe it's better to avoid problems by providing two distincts VMs.
>> And if some people reports problem from 1.0, maybe you will not know
>> wich VMs they used.
>>

> +1. I completly agree.
>
> Adrian, could you do this please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>

>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Updating VM links for Pharo 1.1

Adrian Lienhard
- I updated the Mac VM link to point to version 4.2.5beta1U. This version certainly also makes sense for Pharo 1.0.
- I didn't change the other links since the Windows one already points to the proposed version (4.0.2) and the Unix link does not point to a specific version.

So no need to have a separate set of links if they are all the same.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Adrian

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
- I updated the Mac VM link to point to version 4.2.5beta1U. This version certainly also makes sense for Pharo 1.0.

Great,

- I didn't change the other links since the Windows one already points to the proposed version (4.0.2)

great

and the Unix link does not point to a specific version.

maybe we can put in parentheses the version?   something like:

Unix (4.0.3.2202)

or something like that?

So no need to have a separate set of links if they are all the same.

I guess. I am not sure if Unix 4.0.3.2202  has FreeType compiled (for 1.0). Can someone tell us this?

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 8, 2010, at 02:59 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> One concern: having separate download links in no way tells us what vm someone uses with a particular version, and we can't assume that it does.

Denis Kudriashov
Hello

What plans about Cog?

It will be good if you provide builded Cog VM with prepared Pharo release image.

2010/7/8 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
Hello

What plans about Cog?

It will be good if you provide builded Cog VM with prepared Pharo release image.

I think this thread is for discussing which VMs to officialy link for Pharo 1.0 (released) and 1.1 (soon).

Cog will be for 1.2, not 1.1. At least, the default generated images.

So, I agree it would be cool to upload Cog VMs for each OS but it have to be clear that only Pharo 1.2 should work out of the box with Cog.

Who can compile such VMs for us?

Cheers

Mariano