Updating ZeroConf! Please do not use it until new advice!

Updating ZeroConf! Please do not use it until new advice!

EstebanLM
that… we need to change it :P

Re: Updating ZeroConf! Please do not use it until new advice!

Peter Uhnak
I assume this is just ZeroConf and not also pharo files/ZeroConf server? aka Pharo Launcher will still work?

Peter

that… we need to change it :P

Re: Updating ZeroConf! Please do not use it until new advice!

EstebanLM
ok, you can use it now. Update failed and I need to leave for half na hour…. I will retry later.

cheers,
Esteban

> On 07 Apr 2015, at 16:03, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> that… we need to change it :P

Re: Updating ZeroConf! Please do not use it until new advice!

Marcus Denker-4

On 07 Apr 2015, at 16:11, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

I assume this is just ZeroConf and not also pharo files/ZeroConf server? aka Pharo Launcher will still work?

Yes, and we did the experiment to move to the new version: did not work, old one is restored

Next try: soon.

Peter

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
that… we need to change it :P

Re: Updating ZeroConf! Please do not use it until new advice!

EstebanLM
Ok, retrying. DO NOT USE THEM!

Esteban

> On 07 Apr 2015, at 16:20, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ok, you can use it now. Update failed and I need to leave for half na hour…. I will retry later.
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>
>> On 07 Apr 2015, at 16:03, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> that… we need to change it :P

Re: Updating ZeroConf! Please do not use it until new advice!

EstebanLM
ok… success :)
now, this is the change:

from now, each version is married with one vm.

so, if you download /30+vm it will download the Pharo30 image with its corresponding "vm30"

which means some links do not have sense anymore:

/vm
/vmLatest

but you have

/vm12
/vm20
/vm30
/vm40
/vmLatest40

the concept of “latest vm” is also now married to development image… while an image is being developed (40 now, 50 next week), it will have a “latest” vm… but once releases, release will come with a “blessed” vm… the one is good for you to use.

of course, that does not means vm’s are not exchangeable, as usual… it means we are blessing one version of the vm to be used with one version of the image.

Now, the vm will download just ONE source version (vm30 will download PharoV3.sources)… so we can keep many version without bloating our downloads.

Also, this prepares us to future non compatible VM versions (like Spur), so is a good change.

I hope it is clear for you :)

cheers,
Esteban

> On 07 Apr 2015, at 16:56, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ok, retrying. DO NOT USE THEM!
>
> Esteban
>
>> On 07 Apr 2015, at 16:20, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ok, you can use it now. Update failed and I need to leave for half na hour…. I will retry later.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Esteban
>>
>>> On 07 Apr 2015, at 16:03, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> that… we need to change it :P

Re: [Pharo-users] Updating ZeroConf! Please do not use it until new advice!

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Good work, thanks.

> On 07 Apr 2015, at 17:24, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ok… success :)
> now, this is the change:
>
> from now, each version is married with one vm.
>
> so, if you download /30+vm it will download the Pharo30 image with its corresponding "vm30"
>
> which means some links do not have sense anymore:
>
> /vm
> /vmLatest
>
> but you have
>
> /vm12
> /vm20
> /vm30
> /vm40
> /vmLatest40
>
> the concept of “latest vm” is also now married to development image… while an image is being developed (40 now, 50 next week), it will have a “latest” vm… but once releases, release will come with a “blessed” vm… the one is good for you to use.
>
> of course, that does not means vm’s are not exchangeable, as usual… it means we are blessing one version of the vm to be used with one version of the image.
>
> Now, the vm will download just ONE source version (vm30 will download PharoV3.sources)… so we can keep many version without bloating our downloads.
>
> Also, this prepares us to future non compatible VM versions (like Spur), so is a good change.
>
> I hope it is clear for you :)
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>

>> On 07 Apr 2015, at 16:56, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, retrying. DO NOT USE THEM!
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>>> On 07 Apr 2015, at 16:20, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> ok, you can use it now. Update failed and I need to leave for half na hour…. I will retry later.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Esteban

Re: Updating ZeroConf! Please do not use it until new advice!

Thierry Goubier
Hi Esteban,

the links to the effectives VMs and images behind the scripts haven't
changed?

Thierry

On 07 Apr 2015, at 18:20, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Esteban,

the links to the effectives VMs and images behind the scripts haven't changed?

well, no and yes.
old zeroconf was pointing, for example, to files.pharo.org/image/30/latest.zip
what I did is to put an intermediary, who works as a consolidation.
so, now, if you do:

it will go fetch the image to: files.pharo.org/get-files/30/pharo.zip
and that is a symlink to files.pharo.org/image/30/latest.zip

with vm’s is “almost” the same. With the difference that now I create a symlink in (for example) files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/mac/ to the “stable” which is called “stable-YYMMDD”
then in download files:

files.pharo.org/get-files/30/pharo-mac-stable.zip is a symlink to the stable we decide is… well, stable :)

the intermediary give us much more control.
next steps is to change also the build jobs to create the distribution files taking into account consolidation directory… but well, that’s next step :)

Esteban