Updating code to Canvas API

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

I've seen that Seaside examples are slowly converted to Canvas API.
Should we do this for all classes ? Should we try to remove the old API
from the 2.6 branches ?

Bye

RE: Updating code to Canvas API

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
By removing, you mean removing it from examples only? Removing it completely
would surely break a few existing applications out there unless we're
willing to take the risk of trying to force everyone onto the Canvas API.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Boris Popov wrote:
> By removing, you mean removing it from examples only?

Sure, sorry for not having been clear. I mean changing the code that use
the old API to the new API, not removing the old API. For examples and
other components.

What do you think ?

Re: Updating code to Canvas API

Avi  Bryant

On Jul 21, 2006, at 11:31 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Boris Popov wrote:
>> By removing, you mean removing it from examples only?
>
> Sure, sorry for not having been clear. I mean changing the code
> that use the old API to the new API, not removing the old API. For
> examples and other components.
>
> What do you think ?

+1

Avi

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2006, at 11:31 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>
>> Boris Popov wrote:
>>> By removing, you mean removing it from examples only?
>>
>> Sure, sorry for not having been clear. I mean changing the code that
>> use the old API to the new API, not removing the old API. For examples
>> and other components.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
> +1

I'm doing this in 2.6b1, is it ok ?

Re: Updating code to Canvas API

Philippe Marschall
2006/7/22, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> Avi Bryant wrote:

> >> Sure, sorry for not having been clear. I mean changing the code that
> >> use the old API to the new API, not removing the old API. For examples
> >> and other components.
> >>
> >> What do you think ?
> >
> > +1
>
> I'm doing this in 2.6b1, is it ok ?

I think we should find a consensus how much code we want to break.
Converting tools (eg. WALibraryBrowser) and examples (eg. WACounter)
is unlikely to break any client code. But once we start converting
stuff in 'Seaside-Components-Widgets' we might break client code that
subclasses these components.

For WATableReport there is a separate class for the canvas API. Is
this something we want for all the components or only the important
ones (WATableReport obviously, any others)?

We have only very few code that would be affected by this, so this
would be no problem for us but I don't know about others.

Philippe