Updating existing packages

dsg

Updating existing packages

dsg
I was trying to update one of my working images with the updated
SignalProcessing package, but can't seem to figure out how to do it?  I
tried using the File List app and and Feature>require:, but neither
update the package.

Thanks,
David

dsg

Re: Updating existing packages

dsg
After digging some more, "CodePackageFile basicInstallPackageStream:
(FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: '../Packages/SignalProcessing')" did it,
but seems like there is probably a better way?

On 2/26/14 9:57 PM, David Graham wrote:

> I was trying to update one of my working images with the updated
> SignalProcessing package, but can't seem to figure out how to do it?
> I tried using the File List app and and Feature>require:, but neither
> update the package.
>
> Thanks,
> David

Re: Updating existing packages

KenDickey
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 21:57:15 -0600
David Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was trying to update one of my working images with the updated
> SignalProcessing package, but can't seem to figure out how to do it?  I
> tried using the File List app and and Feature>require:, but neither
> update the package.

The package requirement system is designed to load packages in a fresh image.

We do not yet have a package migration/update system.  An update system takes the current and (presumably) new package versions, preflights changes to maintain invariants, then updates all live instances as well as updating code.

The upshot is that at this time, required packages are loaded exactly once.

We hope to keep things simple as long as possible.

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Updating existing packages

Juan Vuletich-4
On 27/02/2014 10:03 p.m., Ken Dickey wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 21:57:15 -0600
> David Graham<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I was trying to update one of my working images with the updated
>> SignalProcessing package, but can't seem to figure out how to do it?  I
>> tried using the File List app and and Feature>require:, but neither
>> update the package.
> The package requirement system is designed to load packages in a fresh image.
>
> We do not yet have a package migration/update system.  An update system takes the current and (presumably) new package versions, preflights changes to maintain invariants, then updates all live instances as well as updating code.
>
> The upshot is that at this time, required packages are loaded exactly once.
>
> We hope to keep things simple as long as possible.
>
> -KenD

Thanks David for raising the issue, and Ken for your answer.

Well, making Feature>>require: and FileList [Install] basically work
seems reasonable to me. I'm pretty sure that the deletion of stuff not
present in the newer version is handled correctly. Let me take a look.
Will report back after taking some time to experiment with all this.

In any case, as Ken says, migrating existing instances is a real
problem. I don't think we can do a general, robust mechanism for this.
Maybe we could make a package say "I can handle update / deletion /
whatever is appropriate for existing instances, so new versions of
myself can be loaded safely". Then, it would be a responsibility of each
package to handle it. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Updating existing packages

nacho
I'm having the same issue working on a package in two Cuises, adding to that package in one machine and part in another at work.

For the moment, what I do is simply integrate the package into Cuis, an then remove the entire category in the browser and after that, load the package again.
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Updating existing packages

KenDickey
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:28:58 -0700 (PDT)
nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm having the same issue working on a package in two Cuises, adding to that
> package in one machine and part in another at work.
>
> For the moment, what I do is simply integrate the package into Cuis, an then
> remove the entire category in the browser and after that, load the package
> again.

At this time, we don't have a safe way to either remove or to re-load (merge)  packages.  Sorry, either strategy is much work to do well.

The recommended way to proceed is to save package updates to GitHub and load packages fresh each time they are updated.

That way you have one and only one master copy (on GitHub).

You can do differently (e.g. use changeSets), but use care to avoid tying your shoe laces together just before the big race.   8^)

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Updating existing packages

nacho
Ken,
Thanks for your answer. By "...save package updates to GitHub and load packages fresh each time.." you mean leaving the Cuis image untouched, isn'it?
Once the work in a particular package is finished, export the package, pull it to GitHub and then quit Cuis NOT saving the image?
Thanks in advance
Nacho

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA

nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm having the same issue working on a package in two Cuises, adding to that
> package in one machine and part in another at work.
>
> For the moment, what I do is simply integrate the package into Cuis, an then
> remove the entire category in the browser and after that, load the package
> again.

At this time, we don't have a safe way to either remove or to re-load (merge)  packages.  Sorry, either strategy is much work to do well.

The recommended way to proceed is to save package updates to GitHub and load packages fresh each time they are updated.

That way you have one and only one master copy (on GitHub).

You can do differently (e.g. use changeSets), but use care to avoid tying your shoe laces together just before the big race.   8^)

-KenD

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Updating existing packages

KenDickey
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:00:36 -0300
Ignacio Sniechowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Once the work in a particular package is finished, export the package, pull
> it to GitHub and then quit Cuis NOT saving the image?

Right.  Export package updates to disk, then GitHub.

Pull latest package from GitHub and require it in a "fresh" image.

This way you always use the latest package version in a fresh image.

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Updating existing packages

Juan Vuletich-4
I just published a bunch of updates. One of them is a tweak to the
[Install] button in FileList, that makes it always install the requested
package, even if it was already there. It should work just as you expect.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich