Updating locally installed Lively to current version

Updating locally installed Lively to current version

milan zimmermann
Hi:

I have a installation/upgrade question on lively.

A while ago, I have installed a localhost version of Lively. It is
working, although I have been not doing much with it and mostly using
http://lively-kernel.org/ last few weeks.

Now I plan to experiment with persistence outside the page and install
some nodejs modules - which I cannot (or should not) do on
lively-kernel.org/. So I am looking to try to upgrade the latest
Lively locally as there were so many good changes. I remember I
installed 2.0 from a dump, like:

svnadmin load $LIVELY_REPO_PATH < /tmp/livelyLatest.svndump

 .. but I do not suppose a current dump is available - is there a way
to synchronize (svnsync) my localhost repository from the current
version on lively-kernel.org? If not that is fine, I'd wait for next
version.

Thanks,

Milan

More Sounds!

Dan Ingalls-4
Hey Sound Hackers -

Now the keyboard can be hooked to a realtime synthesizing player using the PluckedSound algorithm from Squeak.  Note that glissando actually posts and plays many notes at once!  Check it out at...

        http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundTest3.xhtml

[Should work in recent Chrome of Firefox - we're still looking for help getting the Flash compatibility to kick in with Safari and Opera]

The SoundPlayer code is in the object editor on that page.  If you are interested in the synth algorithms, the code for AbstractSound and PluckedSound is in...

        http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundClasses.js

Technology has been kind to us:  with plenty of cycles and fast floating point, I was able to make the code quite a bit simpler.

Enjoy

   - Dan

Re: More Sounds!

Lincke, Jens
Hi, Dan -

very cool.  I hope you don't mind that I added some keyboard handling:
- click on the keyboard and press "ASD"

Best,
Jens

Am 16.02.2012 um 03:31 schrieb Dan Ingalls:

> Hey Sound Hackers -
>
> Now the keyboard can be hooked to a realtime synthesizing player using the PluckedSound algorithm from Squeak.  Note that glissando actually posts and plays many notes at once!  Check it out at...
>
> http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundTest3.xhtml
>
> [Should work in recent Chrome of Firefox - we're still looking for help getting the Flash compatibility to kick in with Safari and Opera]
>
> The SoundPlayer code is in the object editor on that page.  If you are interested in the synth algorithms, the code for AbstractSound and PluckedSound is in...
>
> http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundClasses.js
>
> Technology has been kind to us:  with plenty of cycles and fast floating point, I was able to make the code quite a bit simpler.
>
> Enjoy
>
>   - Dan

Re: More Sounds!

Dan Ingalls-4
Hi Blake -

Yes, I think that happens when i save without stopping the player.
BTW, I now have polyphonic scores working and there's a button to play a Bach Fugue.

Same page below.

Cheers

  - Dan

On Feb 16, 2012, at 7:27 PM, blake wrote:

> When I load the page up in Chrome, and click on the keyboard, it's
> highly distorted. Then if I click the button, it clears up.
>

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Daniel Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey Sound Hackers -
>>
>> Now the keyboard can be hooked to a realtime synthesizing player using the PluckedSound algorithm from Squeak.  Note that glissando actually posts and plays many notes at once!  Check it out at...
>>
>>        http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundTest3.xhtml
>>
>> [Should work in recent Chrome of Firefox - we're still looking for help getting the Flash compatibility to kick in with Safari and Opera]
>>
>> The SoundPlayer code is in the object editor on that page.  If you are interested in the synth algorithms, the code for AbstractSound and PluckedSound is in...
>>
>>        http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundClasses.js
>>
>> Technology has been kind to us:  with plenty of cycles and fast floating point, I was able to make the code quite a bit simpler.
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>>   - Dan

Re: More Sounds!

alanone1
Hi Dan

Unusual amplitudes. Notes seem to get louder going lower in pitch -- or by voice -- this could possibly be helped a bit by the volume control on each voice that we used to have in the Squeak player.

Also, some "interesting" background artifacts in the sound -- aliasing from no low pass filter?

Cheers,

Alan

Yes, I think that happens when i save without stopping the player.
BTW, I now have polyphonic scores working and there's a button to play a Bach Fugue.

Same page below.

Cheers

  - Dan

On Feb 16, 2012, at 7:27 PM, blake wrote:

> When I load the page up in Chrome, and click on the keyboard, it's
> highly distorted. Then if I click the button, it clears up.
>

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Daniel Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey Sound Hackers -
>>
>> Now the keyboard can be hooked to a realtime synthesizing player using the PluckedSound algorithm from Squeak.  Note that glissando actually posts and plays many notes at once!  Check it out at...
>>
>>        http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundTest3.xhtml
>>
>> [Should work in recent Chrome of Firefox - we're still looking for help getting the Flash compatibility to kick in with Safari and Opera]
>>
>> The SoundPlayer code is in the object editor on that page.  If you are interested in the synth algorithms, the code for AbstractSound and PluckedSound is in...
>>
>>        http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundClasses.js
>>
>> Technology has been kind to us:  with plenty of cycles and fast floating point, I was able to make the code quite a bit simpler.
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>>  - Dan

Re: More Sounds!

Dan Ingalls-4
Hi Alan -

Yes, I'm still tracking down some problem with sampling rate and stereo channels.  I'm comparing to an old Squeak doing
PluckedSound bachFugue play
...which has the same apparent enhancement at lower pitches, but the higher pitches are cleaner and thus don't seem so muted.  Regarding artifacts, the old Squeak actually has more noise in a long held note, but there's something going on in the mixing, I believe.

I'm sure I'll find these little bugs, including the artifacts you mention.   Right now, though, I'm mainly thrilled to find that there seem to be almost no GC artifacts in the synthesis thread so it is actually possible to do the kinds of things we're used to, in JS.  And the synth code is actually very simple - I haven't had to resort to any hacks to get reasonable performance.  I can't even see it in the processor monitor, when doing four voices all in JS.

  - Dan
On Feb 17, 2012, at 9:18 AM, Alan Kay wrote:

Hi Dan

Unusual amplitudes. Notes seem to get louder going lower in pitch -- or by voice -- this could possibly be helped a bit by the volume control on each voice that we used to have in the Squeak player.

Also, some "interesting" background artifacts in the sound -- aliasing from no low pass filter?

Cheers,

Alan

Yes, I think that happens when i save without stopping the player.
BTW, I now have polyphonic scores working and there's a button to play a Bach Fugue.

Same page below.

Cheers

  - Dan

On Feb 16, 2012, at 7:27 PM, blake wrote:

> When I load the page up in Chrome, and click on the keyboard, it's
> highly distorted. Then if I click the button, it clears up.
>

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Daniel Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey Sound Hackers -
>>
>> Now the keyboard can be hooked to a realtime synthesizing player using the PluckedSound algorithm from Squeak.  Note that glissando actually posts and plays many notes at once!  Check it out at...
>>
>>        http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundTest3.xhtml
>>
>> [Should work in recent Chrome of Firefox - we're still looking for help getting the Flash compatibility to kick in with Safari and Opera]
>>
>> The SoundPlayer code is in the object editor on that page.  If you are interested in the synth algorithms, the code for AbstractSound and PluckedSound is in...
>>
>>        http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundClasses.js
>>
>> Technology has been kind to us:  with plenty of cycles and fast floating point, I was able to make the code quite a bit simpler.
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>>  - Dan

Re: More Sounds!

Dan Ingalls-4
Yayy!  I think I'm done for a while.  Stereo separation works now, and the sounds are much better.

The PluckedString algorithm is inherently noisy so now we can move on to FM.

But, hey, check out the sounds now, still at...

   - Dan

PS Alan: The lower voices are given higher volume in the score, so that is explained as well.

Re: More Sounds!

alanone1
Thanks Dan

(Not that it matters) but in this piece all the voices should subjectively be about equal. Harpsichords were voiced in a slight "smile" so the low C would be solid, but basically we should hear the top voices a bit more prominently than the bottom one.

Cheers,

Alan

Re: Updating locally installed Lively to current version

milan zimmermann
Thanks Fabian:

 this is great, I will try to install from GitHub in the next few days,

later,
milan

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:16 AM, Fabian Bornhofen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Milan -
>
> first of all, sorry for replying late.
> I just sent out an announcement on the list about how we want to make
> synchronization easier with GitHub etc. We were working on this last
> week and did not want to write an announcement about the GitHub
> repository before it was 'ready'.
>
> So, at least for the core code, we intend to use this repository in
> the future: https://github.com/rksm/LivelyKernel
> It also explains how to import existing parts from Webwerkstatt.
>
> HTH
> Fabian
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Milan Zimmermann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I have a installation/upgrade question on lively.
>>
>> A while ago, I have installed a localhost version of Lively. It is
>> working, although I have been not doing much with it and mostly using
>> http://lively-kernel.org/ last few weeks.
>>
>> Now I plan to experiment with persistence outside the page and install
>> some nodejs modules - which I cannot (or should not) do on
>> lively-kernel.org/. So I am looking to try to upgrade the latest
>> Lively locally as there were so many good changes. I remember I
>> installed 2.0 from a dump, like:
>>
>> svnadmin load $LIVELY_REPO_PATH < /tmp/livelyLatest.svndump
>>
>>  .. but I do not suppose a current dump is available - is there a way
>> to synchronize (svnsync) my localhost repository from the current
>> version on lively-kernel.org? If not that is fine, I'd wait for next
>> version.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Milan

Re: More Sounds!

Dan Ingalls-4
Folks -

I just tweaked the PluckedSound timbre so it sounds better (*).  Also now if you have a keyboard (ie synthesizer) in your world, you can evaluate
AbstractSound.bachFugueOn(PluckedSound.default()).play()
to play a 4- part Bach fugue in stereo.

  - Dan

(*) The PluckedSound algorithm is incredibly simple:  It just fills a buffer with random numbers (ie white noise) and then, while it plays the buffer it also repeatedly averages adjacent samples.  This has the effect of a low-pass filter, so the white noise quickly settles down to the lower harmonics, and eventually settles down to just the fundamental note.  The problem, which you might have heard if you played around with it, is that the higher notes damp out too quickly and sound less like a plucked string and more like tapping on a tin can.

This morning i woke up with the realization that at higher frequencies we should not just average adjacent samples (makes the note die down too quickly), but instead should do something more like a 10-to-1 blend.  It did in fact make the higher notes sound better, so I now have added a factor (this.damp) that is scaled to the pitch of the note for frequencies above 400 Hz.  Check it out.
-------------
On Feb 17, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Daniel Ingalls wrote:

Yayy!  I think I'm done for a while.  Stereo separation works now, and the sounds are much better.

The PluckedString algorithm is inherently noisy so now we can move on to FM.

But, hey, check out the sounds now, still at...

   - Dan

PS Alan: The lower voices are given higher volume in the score, so that is explained as well.

Re: More Sounds!

Dan Ingalls-4
Hi Bert -

Thanks for the alert.  Yes you are right;  there was a problem initializing the native buffer after deserialization.

It should all work properly now, and I've tested in Chrome, Firefox and Safari, thus testing compatibility with the native sound in all three schemes!

Pull it out of the parts bin or visit...

   - Dan
----------------
On Feb 28, 2012, at 3:16 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

Hi Dan,

on my machine this sounds worse - not the timbre, but the sound mixing in general. It's like a click on every buffer underrun maybe? I've recorded it:
<livelysound.mp4>
This is a very fast Mac running current Chrome (17.0.963.56).

Previously the sound was much smoother, only when scrolling lists it would break up.

- Bert -

On 28.02.2012, at 01:29, Daniel Ingalls wrote:

[...]

Bert Freudenberg
Ah, much better :)

I do get an error in Firefox:
AttributeConnection>>update: TypeError: webR.getVersion().versions is undefined

But the synth works anyways.

- Bert -