Upgrading GLASS from Seaside 2.8 to 3.0

Sebastia Van Lacke
List,

I need some advise for upgrading my application on FAST (www.fast.org.ar) to Seaside 3.0. There are two conferences apps, Smalltalks 2009 and 2010 which are developed on Seaside 2.8. The current glass version is 1.0 beta 8. I need to install a new FAST application and the Smalltalks 2011 site which is being developed on Pharo and Seaside 3.0.
Is it possible to upgrade it to Seaside 3.0 from the gemtools menu? or do I have to install gemstone from scratch? In that case, I have a lot of conference data (videos, talks) that I will have to migrate to the new one. Which is the best way to do it? SIXX, gemstone passivate/activate?

Any advise is welcome.

Sebastián

--

sebastian van lacke | web developer caesar systems | see clearly. decide smarter.

[hidden email] | t: +1.281.598.8790 | t: +54.11.4389.0126 | petrovr.blogspot.com | www.caesarsystems.com

This message and any attached documents contain information from Caesar Systems LLC that may be confidential/trade secret and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute or use this information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by reply e-mail and then delete this message.

Re: Upgrading GLASS from Seaside 2.8 to 3.0

Dale Henrichs
Sebastian,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I was on vacation:)

I don't have any advice for upgrading your Seaside application from Seaside2.8 to Seaside3.0 ... I think that Otto has done some work here, but if I'm not mistaken you just need to take each of your components and port/rewrite it to conform to the Seaside3.0 model.

As for your persistent data, it is possible to preserve your persistent data.

Seaside2.8 and Seaside3.0 cannot coexist in the same image and Seaside3.0 cannot be safely loaded on top of Seaside2.8, so you need to unload Seaside2.8 and your Seaside2.8 components, then load Seaside3.0 and your ported Seaside2.8 components ...

Presumably your important data is not directly dependent upon any Seaside-specific classes, so within a single GemStone repository you can remove Seaside2.8 and install Seaside3.0 without having to move your business data anywhere ...

Does this make sense to you?

Dale

| I need some advise for upgrading my application on FAST (
| www.fast.org.ar) to Seaside 3.0. There are two conferences apps,
| Smalltalks 2009 and 2010 which are developed on Seaside 2.8. The
| current glass version is 1.0 beta 8. I need to install a new FAST
| application and the Smalltalks 2011 site which is being developed on
| Pharo and Seaside 3.0.
| Is it possible to upgrade it to Seaside 3.0 from the gemtools menu?
| or do I have to install gemstone from scratch? In that case, I have
| a lot of conference data (videos, talks) that I will have to migrate
| to the new one. Which is the best way to do it? SIXX, gemstone
| passivate/activate?
|
| Any advise is welcome.
|
| Sebastián
|
| --
|

| sebastian van lacke | web developer | caesar systems | see clearly.
| decide smarter.
|
| [hidden email] | t: +1.281.598.8790 | t:
| +54.11.4389.0126 | petrovr.blogspot.com | www.caesarsystems.com
|
| This message and any attached documents contain information from
| Caesar Systems LLC that may be confidential/trade secret and/or
| privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read,
| copy, distribute or use this information. If you have received this
| transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by
| telephone or by reply e-mail and then delete this message.

Re: Upgrading GLASS from Seaside 2.8 to 3.0

otto
Hi,

Sorry I did not answer earlier either and I was not on vacation. My
mind is though :-)

I'm not in the office, but I'll ask the people there to send you some
info and scripts that we used to do the upgrade. I'm not terribly
familiar with all the things we had to change to go from 2.8 to 3.0,
but Talita will remember, won't you?

We have a script that we ran to nuke the 2.8 code and load 3.0. It's
some ruby, but you should be able to get it going. Talita / Pieter,
can you please send it through?

Cheers
Otto

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sebastian,
>
> Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I was on vacation:)
>
> I don't have any advice for upgrading your Seaside application from Seaside2.8 to Seaside3.0 ... I think that Otto has done some work here, but if I'm not mistaken you just need to take each of your components and port/rewrite it to conform to the Seaside3.0 model.
>
> As for your persistent data, it is possible to preserve your persistent data.
>
> Seaside2.8 and Seaside3.0 cannot coexist in the same image and Seaside3.0 cannot be safely loaded on top of Seaside2.8, so you need to unload Seaside2.8 and your Seaside2.8 components, then load Seaside3.0 and your ported Seaside2.8 components ...
>
> Presumably your important data is not directly dependent upon any Seaside-specific classes, so within a single GemStone repository you can remove Seaside2.8 and install Seaside3.0 without having to move your business data anywhere ...
>
> Does this make sense to you?
>
> Dale

Dale,

Thanks for your advice. Finally, I decided to install the last GLASS version from scratch, and after some issues, I succeeded in having the new site http://www.fast.org.ar and the old applications running on Seaside 3.0.

I found some issues during the process that I want to share with you.

First, when loading Seaside 3.0 package, I got this error:

GemStone: Error Nonfatal
'No version found for #''stable'' of ConfigurationOfGsOB'
Error Category: [User] Number: 1 Arg Count: 1
Arg 1: No version found for #'stable' of ConfigurationOfGsOB

I searched in google, and I found that other people have had the same problem. And, they suggest to firstly upgrade the glass version from the gemtools menu. So, I tried to go from beta 8.1 to 8.6, and the following errors came up:

No version found for '1.0-alpha2.2' of ConfigurationOfGoferProjectLoader and then
No version found for '0.240' of ConfigurationOfGsMonticello

I could sort them out upgrading manually both configuration packages.

Once I was on glass beta 8.6, I could load Seaside 3.0 succesfully.

Regards,

Sebastian

Re: Upgrading GLASS from Seaside 2.8 to 3.0

Dale Henrichs
Sebastian,

When you got those errors about 'No version found for #''stable'' of ConfigurationOfGsOB', had you upgraded the GLASS (and GemTools) versions prior to doing the load?

Most likely the errors are due to the fact that you are running with an older version of Metacello, but the best way to make sure that you are running with all of the latest bug fixes is to upgrade GLASS itself using the 'Update GLASS' menu item[1].

[Note: I'd tagged you mail as a candidate for a bug report, but upon reading the mail again, I realized what the root cause was most likely to be:]

Dale

[1] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GemToolsUpdate

| Thanks for your advice. Finally, I decided to install the last GLASS
| version from scratch, and after some issues, I succeeded in having
| the new site http://www.fast.org.ar and the old applications running
| on Seaside 3.0.
|
| I found some issues during the process that I want to share with you.
|
| First, when loading Seaside 3.0 package, I got this error:
|
| GemStone: Error Nonfatal
| 'No version found for #''stable'' of ConfigurationOfGsOB'
| Error Category: [User] Number: 1 Arg Count: 1
| Arg 1: No version found for #'stable' of ConfigurationOfGsOB
|
| I searched in google, and I found that other people have had the same
| problem. And, they suggest to firstly upgrade the glass version from
| the gemtools menu. So, I tried to go from beta 8.1 to 8.6, and the
| following errors came up:
|
| No version found for '1.0-alpha2.2' of
| ConfigurationOfGoferProjectLoader and then
| No version found for '0.240' of ConfigurationOfGsMonticello
|
| I could sort them out upgrading manually both configuration packages.
|
| Once I was on glass beta 8.6, I could load Seaside 3.0 succesfully.
|
| Regards,
|
| Sebastian

Re: Upgrading GLASS from Seaside 2.8 to 3.0

Dale Henrichs
Oh wait, you already tried that:) .... so this is a candidate for a bug report:)

Dale

| When you got those errors about 'No version found for #''stable'' of
| ConfigurationOfGsOB', had you upgraded the GLASS (and GemTools)
| versions prior to doing the load?
|
| Most likely the errors are due to the fact that you are running with
| an older version of Metacello, but the best way to make sure that
| you are running with all of the latest bug fixes is to upgrade GLASS
| itself using the 'Update GLASS' menu item[1].
|
| [Note: I'd tagged you mail as a candidate for a bug report, but upon
| reading the mail again, I realized what the root cause was most
| likely to be:]
|
| Dale
|
| [1] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GemToolsUpdate

| |
| | Thanks for your advice. Finally, I decided to install the last
| | GLASS
| | version from scratch, and after some issues, I succeeded in having
| | the new site http://www.fast.org.ar and the old applications
| | running
| | on Seaside 3.0.
| |
| | I found some issues during the process that I want to share with
| | you.
| |
| | First, when loading Seaside 3.0 package, I got this error:
| |
| | GemStone: Error Nonfatal
| | 'No version found for #''stable'' of ConfigurationOfGsOB'
| | Error Category: [User] Number: 1 Arg Count: 1
| | Arg 1: No version found for #'stable' of ConfigurationOfGsOB
| |
| | I searched in google, and I found that other people have had the
| | same
| | problem. And, they suggest to firstly upgrade the glass version
| | from
| | the gemtools menu. So, I tried to go from beta 8.1 to 8.6, and the
| | following errors came up:
| |
| | No version found for '1.0-alpha2.2' of
| | ConfigurationOfGoferProjectLoader and then
| | No version found for '0.240' of ConfigurationOfGsMonticello
| |
| | I could sort them out upgrading manually both configuration
| | packages.
| |
| | Once I was on glass beta 8.6, I could load Seaside 3.0 succesfully.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Sebastian