Upgrading from Smalltalk version 2 to 7

hanciv2005
Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our application running in Smalltalk version 2 to 7. What is the easiest way to do? Is there any tool available for this?

Re: Upgrading from Smalltalk version 2 to 7

jarober
You mean VisualWorks 2.0 to VisualWorks 7.8, I'm guessing?

There's no tool to automate this, no.  I've just done a (much simpler) migration from VW 7.6 to VW 7.8, but the steps you will need to take are similar.  Basically, you'll prep the code in the old version some before you export it, based on known compat issues

Then you'll export the code to file outs, and bring it into the newer version of VW.  There's a lot of "rinse/repeat" at this stage, as you find dependencies on classes that have changed a lot or gone away.  Once the code loads, you then need to start looking at getting it to work.

On Oct 12, 2011, at 2:48 PM, hanciv2005 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are planning to upgrade our application running in Smalltalk version 2 to
> 7. What is the easiest way to do? Is there any tool available for this?

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: Upgrading from Smalltalk version 2 to 7

Georg Heeg
For more than ten years porting applications has been our professional work.
We have developed a methodology to do this work. We have spoken several
times about this. One of the first presentation was at Smalltalk Solutions
2001 in Chicago. In
http://www.heeg.de/Files/Vortraege/Vortrag%20Heeg%20ESUG%202001.ppt you can
find the presentation slides.

Georg Heeg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

We are planning to upgrade our application running in Smalltalk version 2 to
7. What is the easiest way to do? Is there any tool available for this?

Re: Upgrading from Smalltalk version 2 to 7

Jon Paynter-2
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:
You mean VisualWorks 2.0 to VisualWorks 7.8, I'm guessing?

There's no tool to automate this, no.  I've just done a (much simpler) migration from VW 7.6 to VW 7.8, but the steps you will need to take are similar.  Basically, you'll prep the code in the old version some before you export it, based on known compat issues

Then you'll export the code to file outs, and bring it into the newer version of VW.  There's a lot of "rinse/repeat" at this stage, as you find dependencies on classes that have changed a lot or gone away.  Once the code loads, you then need to start looking at getting it to work.

+1 to what James said.

And to add some of my own:
- Its a really good idea to automate the file-out and file-in/loading process so it can be done via a simple script.
- Start from an empty vw7 image rather than trying to fix things after the fact.  Eventually you'll accumulate a set of updates to the base visual.im -- put those in a parcel and & load them when you run your conversion