Urget question about CodeCity

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Folks...Sorry for the "urgen" but I got an idea for my paper with deadline tomorro hahahahah

I was using DistributionMaps where the containers were packages for example, elements classes, and properties the amount of instances. For example, see the attached screenshot.

Now....it is difficult to find the classes with most instances since I need to search for an specific color.

I thoguht that having someting like CodeCity can be interesting. I would like:

- EAch building (square) is a container -> package
- Each little squeare (that has heigh) is a element -> class
- The heigh is a property, in this case, the amount of instances for example.

Then I can easily see packages/classes with several intances easily (the highest ones).

So...is that possible? how easier? :)

Right now I was doing my DM something like this:

I checked for *City* class in Moose 4.1 but I didn't find anything :(

The only thing I found was this link: http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/vw/codecity

Thanks for any help

Mariano

amuntUsedInstances.png (113K) Download Attachment

Re: Urget question about CodeCity

Tudor Girba
Unfortunately, CodeCity is not working in Pharo.

Doru

On 23 Sep 2010, at 10:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Folks...Sorry for the "urgen" but I got an idea for my paper with deadline tomorro hahahahah
>
> I was using DistributionMaps where the containers were packages for example, elements classes, and properties the amount of instances. For example, see the attached screenshot.
>
> Now....it is difficult to find the classes with most instances since I need to search for an specific color.
>
> I thoguht that having someting like CodeCity can be interesting. I would like:
>
> - EAch building (square) is a container -> package
> - Each little squeare (that has heigh) is a element -> class
> - The heigh is a property, in this case, the amount of instances for example.
>
> Then I can easily see packages/classes with several intances easily (the highest ones).
>
> So...is that possible? how easier? :)
>
> Right now I was doing my DM something like this:
>
> I checked for *City* class in Moose 4.1 but I didn't find anything :(
>
> The only thing I found was this link: http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/vw/codecity
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Mariano
> <amuntUsedInstances.png>_______________________________________________
> Moose-dev mailing list

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately, CodeCity is not working in Pharo.

That was a FAST answer :)

What a pity :(
I guess it is because of the 3D engine?  you did that in VW with something like that?

Just by ignorance, does that visualization require a 3D engine?  cannot be drawn using Mondrian or whatever Moose uses for the rest of the visualizations?  or is it too "complex or large" to compute it that way?

Thanks Doru

Mariano

Doru

On 23 Sep 2010, at 10:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Folks...Sorry for the "urgen" but I got an idea for my paper with deadline tomorro hahahahah
>
> I was using DistributionMaps where the containers were packages for example, elements classes, and properties the amount of instances. For example, see the attached screenshot.
>
> Now....it is difficult to find the classes with most instances since I need to search for an specific color.
>
> I thoguht that having someting like CodeCity can be interesting. I would like:
>
> - EAch building (square) is a container -> package
> - Each little squeare (that has heigh) is a element -> class
> - The heigh is a property, in this case, the amount of instances for example.
>
> Then I can easily see packages/classes with several intances easily (the highest ones).
>
> So...is that possible? how easier? :)
>
> Right now I was doing my DM something like this:
>
> I checked for *City* class in Moose 4.1 but I didn't find anything :(
>
> The only thing I found was this link: http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/vw/codecity
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Mariano
> <amuntUsedInstances.png>_______________________________________________
> Moose-dev mailing list

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Urget question about CodeCity

Tudor Girba
Hi Mariano,

To render 3D you need infrastructure.

CodeCity uses a library for 3D rendering (Jun).

Fernando started to work on a new engine in Pharo based on Alien and OpenGL. I know that he got to the point in which he could have similar rendering capabilities to CodeCity, but the project got disrupted for the moment.

Cheers,
Doru

On 23 Sep 2010, at 10:36, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unfortunately, CodeCity is not working in Pharo.
>
> That was a FAST answer :)
>
> What a pity :(
> I guess it is because of the 3D engine?  you did that in VW with something like that?
>
> Just by ignorance, does that visualization require a 3D engine?  cannot be drawn using Mondrian or whatever Moose uses for the rest of the visualizations?  or is it too "complex or large" to compute it that way?
>
> Thanks Doru
>
> Mariano
>

> Doru
>

> On 23 Sep 2010, at 10:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks...Sorry for the "urgen" but I got an idea for my paper with deadline tomorro hahahahah
> >
> > I was using DistributionMaps where the containers were packages for example, elements classes, and properties the amount of instances. For example, see the attached screenshot.
> >
> > Now....it is difficult to find the classes with most instances since I need to search for an specific color.
> >
> > I thoguht that having someting like CodeCity can be interesting. I would like:
> >
> > - EAch building (square) is a container -> package
> > - Each little squeare (that has heigh) is a element -> class
> > - The heigh is a property, in this case, the amount of instances for example.
> >
> > Then I can easily see packages/classes with several intances easily (the highest ones).
> >
> > So...is that possible? how easier? :)
> >
> > Right now I was doing my DM something like this:
> >
> > I checked for *City* class in Moose 4.1 but I didn't find anything :(
> >
> > The only thing I found was this link: http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/vw/codecity
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> >
> > Mariano
> > <amuntUsedInstances.png>_______________________________________________
> > Moose-dev mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/moose-dev
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Urget question about CodeCity

cdelaunay
I don't know if it can fit with what you are expecting, but there is also a LinearDitributionMap, displaying 'strongest' colors for properties having the higher value. Maybe try in your code try to replace 'DistributionMap' by 'LinearDistributionMap' to see what happens :)

2010/9/23 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately, CodeCity is not working in Pharo.

That was a FAST answer :)

What a pity :(
I guess it is because of the 3D engine?  you did that in VW with something like that?

Just by ignorance, does that visualization require a 3D engine?  cannot be drawn using Mondrian or whatever Moose uses for the rest of the visualizations?  or is it too "complex or large" to compute it that way?

Thanks Doru

Mariano

Doru

On 23 Sep 2010, at 10:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Folks...Sorry for the "urgen" but I got an idea for my paper with deadline tomorro hahahahah
>
> I was using DistributionMaps where the containers were packages for example, elements classes, and properties the amount of instances. For example, see the attached screenshot.
>
> Now....it is difficult to find the classes with most instances since I need to search for an specific color.
>
> I thoguht that having someting like CodeCity can be interesting. I would like:
>
> - EAch building (square) is a container -> package
> - Each little squeare (that has heigh) is a element -> class
> - The heigh is a property, in this case, the amount of instances for example.
>
> Then I can easily see packages/classes with several intances easily (the highest ones).
>
> So...is that possible? how easier? :)
>
> Right now I was doing my DM something like this:
>
> I checked for *City* class in Moose 4.1 but I didn't find anything :(
>
> The only thing I found was this link: http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/vw/codecity
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Mariano
> <amuntUsedInstances.png>_______________________________________________
> Moose-dev mailing list

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Urget question about CodeCity

cdelaunay
As an an example, you can see the attached file in which there is a LinearDistributionMap showing the numberOfLinesOfCode per method.

2010/9/23 Cyrille Delaunay <[hidden email]>
I don't know if it can fit with what you are expecting, but there is also a LinearDitributionMap, displaying 'strongest' colors for properties having the higher value. Maybe try in your code try to replace 'DistributionMap' by 'LinearDistributionMap' to see what happens :)

2010/9/23 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately, CodeCity is not working in Pharo.

That was a FAST answer :)

What a pity :(
I guess it is because of the 3D engine?  you did that in VW with something like that?

Just by ignorance, does that visualization require a 3D engine?  cannot be drawn using Mondrian or whatever Moose uses for the rest of the visualizations?  or is it too "complex or large" to compute it that way?

Thanks Doru

Mariano

Doru

On 23 Sep 2010, at 10:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Folks...Sorry for the "urgen" but I got an idea for my paper with deadline tomorro hahahahah
>
> I was using DistributionMaps where the containers were packages for example, elements classes, and properties the amount of instances. For example, see the attached screenshot.
>
> Now....it is difficult to find the classes with most instances since I need to search for an specific color.
>
> I thoguht that having someting like CodeCity can be interesting. I would like:
>
> - EAch building (square) is a container -> package
> - Each little squeare (that has heigh) is a element -> class
> - The heigh is a property, in this case, the amount of instances for example.
>
> Then I can easily see packages/classes with several intances easily (the highest ones).
>
> So...is that possible? how easier? :)
>
> Right now I was doing my DM something like this:
>
> I checked for *City* class in Moose 4.1 but I didn't find anything :(
>
> The only thing I found was this link: http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/vw/codecity
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Mariano
> <amuntUsedInstances.png>_______________________________________________
> Moose-dev mailing list

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

linearDistributionMap-numberOfLinesOfCodePerMethod.png (33K) Download Attachment

Re: Urget question about CodeCity

Simon Denier-3

On 23 sept. 2010, at 10:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Hi Folks...Sorry for the "urgen" but I got an idea for my paper with deadline tomorro hahahahah

I was using DistributionMaps where the containers were packages for example, elements classes, and properties the amount of instances. For example, see the attached screenshot.

Now....it is difficult to find the classes with most instances since I need to search for an specific color.

I am not sure I understand what it is difficult:
- because the mapping color <-> range does not match your expectations (like red would be highest, blue would be lowest)
- or because you are looking for one class with the most instances
- or because you want to compare the real values, not ranges.

I thoguht that having someting like CodeCity can be interesting. I would like:

- EAch building (square) is a container -> package
- Each little squeare (that has heigh) is a element -> class
- The heigh is a property, in this case, the amount of instances for example.

Then I can easily see packages/classes with several intances easily (the highest ones).

So...is that possible? how easier? :)

Right now I was doing my DM something like this:

I checked for *City* class in Moose 4.1 but I didn't find anything :(

The only thing I found was this link: http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/vw/codecity

Thanks for any help

Mariano
<amuntUsedInstances.png>_______________________________________________
Moose-dev mailing list

 Simon

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23 sept. 2010, at 10:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Hi Folks...Sorry for the "urgen" but I got an idea for my paper with deadline tomorro hahahahah

I was using DistributionMaps where the containers were packages for example, elements classes, and properties the amount of instances. For example, see the attached screenshot.

Now....it is difficult to find the classes with most instances since I need to search for an specific color.

I am not sure I understand what it is difficult:

hi

- because the mapping color <-> range does not match your expectations (like red would be highest, blue would be lowest)

I guess because of this one. For example, take a look to the screenshot I attached. If I want to search the most instantiated classes, I should serach colors like Brown or Pink. But they are not easily shown....and of course, I have lot of colors...then I can to go with my "eye" looking carefully each package and looking for those colors.

This is why I thoguht that CodeCity would be cool, in the sense that for this case it would be easier since the property would represent the height of a building...and it is easier to notice heigh than a color.

I am trying now LinearDistributionMap and I think it can help :)

On 23 sept. 2010, at 12:25, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

hi

- because the mapping color <-> range does not match your expectations (like red would be highest, blue would be lowest)

I guess because of this one. For example, take a look to the screenshot I attached. If I want to search the most instantiated classes, I should serach colors like Brown or Pink. But they are not easily shown....and of course, I have lot of colors...then I can to go with my "eye" looking carefully each package and looking for those colors.

This is why I thoguht that CodeCity would be cool, in the sense that for this case it would be easier since the property would represent the height of a building...and it is easier to notice heigh than a color.

I am trying now LinearDistributionMap and I think it can help :)

OK then you can set the mapping you want by sending #propertyColorMap: aDictionary to the distribution map. Easy to do.

You could also define your own ordering, but this would require a bit more work I think (LinearDistributionMap does that)

Finally, don't forget you can change 2D width/height before using the 3D :)
Of course, this requires testing a bit with different layouts then (MOMinimumGridLayout is interesting when shapes have different sizes, it tries to group shapes so that lost space is minimized)

--
 Simon

Re: Urget question about CodeCity

Richard Wettel
Hi Mariano,

If you think the colors are not easily pinpointing the highest values, then play with both the hue and the brightness of the color.

In CodeCity's age maps, I use a color range from a light yellow (for small values of the metric, in my case the age) to dark blue (for the highest values). This will allow you to quickly spot the darkest parts in the system, which would correspond to the highest values. Look at the screenshot, I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain something similar in Mondrian.

Cheers,
Ricky

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8

On Sep 23, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

<ATT00001..txt>

Re: Urget question about CodeCity

Alexandre Bergel
Thanks Ricky for sharing your experience.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Richard Wettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

If you think the colors are not easily pinpointing the highest values, then play with both the hue and the brightness of the color.

In CodeCity's age maps, I use a color range from a light yellow (for small values of the metric, in my case the age) to dark blue (for the highest values). This will allow you to quickly spot the darkest parts in the system, which would correspond to the highest values. Look at the screenshot, I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain something similar in Mondrian.

Thanks to everybody for the fast answers I got that day. I finally did something like this. Settings specific colors.

Cheers