Uri vs. Url

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
It confuses me that the URI and Url class hierarchies are separate, given that a URL is a subset of URI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier#Relationship_to_URL_and_URN). Does it make sense to unify these?

Thanks.
Sean

Cheers,
Sean

Re: Uri vs. Url

cedreek

It confuses me that the URI and Url class hierarchies are separate, given that a URL is a subset of URI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier#Relationship_to_URL_and_URN). Does it make sense to unify these?

According to the class comment of URI

"Difference between URI, URL and URN
=========================
A URI is a uniform resource identifier while a URL is a uniform resource locator.  Every URL is a URI but not every URI is a URL. This is because there is another subcategory of URIs, uniform resource names (URNs), which name resources but do not specify how to locate them. The following expressions are URNs examples

urn:isbn:000102002x"

Maybe, we should have

URI << URN
URI<<Url

My 2 cents,

Cédrick

Le 29 janv. 2011 à 09:03, DeNigris Sean a écrit :

Thanks.
Sean