Uri vs. Url

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
It confuses me that the URI and Url class hierarchies are separate, given that a URL is a subset of URI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier#Relationship_to_URL_and_URN). Does it make sense to unify these?

Thanks.
Sean

Cheers,
Sean

Re: Uri vs. Url

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 29, 2011, at 9:17 AM, DeNigris Sean wrote:

> It confuses me that the URI and Url class hierarchies are separate, given that a URL is a subset of URI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier#Relationship_to_URL_and_URN). Does it make sense to unify these?

Hi,

The history behind is the following.

Impara implemented URI and used it for all their products and Sophie later. The idea was in 3.9 to integrate URI and then remove
Url later in another step. But sadly, already the first step was never really done: we integrated the URI package, but the (for 3.9)planed
second pass did never happen. (to replace Urls and just keep them for compatibility, together with syncing with sophie fixes).

Wo should do another pass, yes.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Uri vs. Url

Stéphane Ducasse
I started to go over all the methods and tests + added comments.
Now I would like to see URI really used. But I need also help.

Stef