Usage of Callin from within VAST

SebastianHC
Hi!

Has anybody ever tried to use the callin functionality from within vast?

I try to start a second vast image via calling abtvxt40.dll.

Once I put wrong parameters into the call of vastart() the status pointer contains the according proper error codes.

But, calling vastart with proper parameters leads to vm crashes and even though I get the evaluation popup of the second VAST image, there's never an additional abt.exe listed in my task manager.

Is this ment to work, or shall I better stay with cmd calls?

Regards
Sebastian

Re: Usage of Callin from within VAST

SebastianHC
Okay,...

I got a little further.

so: "CallIn" start's a vastimage within the current thread. This is why my idea of starting an additional image in it's own thread won't work.

Is there any other way than "cmd" to start an additional VAST image and providing it with some data in memory?

Sebastian

Re: Usage of Callin from within VAST

Thomas Koschate-2
Not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but what about using Server Smalltalk and sharing objects using that framework?

Tom

Re: Usage of Callin from within VAST

SebastianHC
Hi Thomas,

well, I also already thought about that possibillity, but it might be a little too much for what I have in mind.

I have a dev-extension with some kind of packaging configuration editor.
Once I created this configuration I start the packaging process. But packaging runs in an additional headless image. This enables the developer to go with development, or close the main image and go home for example.

Usually you would just use the programmstarter or just execute a batch file from VAST adding some parameters which are interpreted by the newly started image.

The problem with those batchfiles is, that somebody has to distribute them, developers have to keep them up-to-date, access rights,.....

So I thought it might be nice to just use CallIn and pass the parameters.

As far as I understand it right know, I might just have to write a sharedlibaray which itsself creates a process calling the CallIn methods.

Sebastian

Re: Usage of Callin from within VAST

John O'Keefe-3
Sebastian -

Why do you need a batch file?  Can't you just pass whatever parameters are needed by the headless packaging app when you start it with the programstarter?

John