Use --force to continue ?

Tim Mackinnon-6
Hi guys - I’ve been running through Richards tutorials (which are very inspiring - although sparse in a few places, so I may have to ask a few questions)

I’ve raced ahead to the Cordova bit (quite excited to try writing a phone app in amber) - anyway, I’ve got my cordova set up (had to play with npm versions which reminded me why I love a self contained smalltalk image) and have generated a stub project.

I’ve gone into the www directory - where I assume I should run amber init (Richard is a bit vague on this bit).

When I run amber init, it warns me that there is contents in the dir (which is true - I assume I will run alongside some cordova stuff) - and it offers the prompt:

Warning: Existing files may be overwritten! Use --force to continue.

Aborted due to warnings.
grunt-init exec error:
6

amber init —force (doesn’t do anything), nor does (amber —force init)?

What is the trick to this? Or are the instructions generated incorrect?

Tim

Re: Use --force to continue ?

Herby Vojčík
There is no way to run amber init in nonempty directory. Run it in some tmp and copy things back if ypu need to do some kind of merging with existing stuff.

Dňa 2. marca 2016 21:34:22 CET používateľ Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> napísal:

>Hi guys - I’ve been running through Richards tutorials (which are very
>inspiring - although sparse in a few places, so I may have to ask a few
>questions)
>
>I’ve raced ahead to the Cordova bit (quite excited to try writing a
>phone app in amber) - anyway, I’ve got my cordova set up (had to play
>with npm versions which reminded me why I love a self contained
>smalltalk image) and have generated a stub project.
>
>I’ve gone into the www directory - where I assume I should run amber
>init (Richard is a bit vague on this bit).
>
>When I run amber init, it warns me that there is contents in the dir
>(which is true - I assume I will run alongside some cordova stuff) -
>and it offers the prompt:
>
>Warning: Existing files may be overwritten! Use --force to continue.
>
>Aborted due to warnings.
>grunt-init exec error:
>6
>

>amber init —force (doesn’t do anything), nor does (amber —force init)?
>
>What is the trick to this? Or are the instructions generated incorrect?
>
>Tim

Re: Use --force to continue ?

Tim Mackinnon-6
That makes sense  - might as well remove that spurious message from the output for future users.

Tim

> On 2 Mar 2016, at 20:49, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no way to run amber init in nonempty directory. Run it in some tmp and copy things back if ypu need to do some kind of merging with existing stuff.
>
> Dňa 2. marca 2016 21:34:22 CET používateľ Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> napísal:
>> Hi guys - I’ve been running through Richards tutorials (which are very
>> inspiring - although sparse in a few places, so I may have to ask a few
>> questions)
>>
>> I’ve raced ahead to the Cordova bit (quite excited to try writing a
>> phone app in amber) - anyway, I’ve got my cordova set up (had to play
>> with npm versions which reminded me why I love a self contained
>> smalltalk image) and have generated a stub project.
>>
>> I’ve gone into the www directory - where I assume I should run amber
>> init (Richard is a bit vague on this bit).
>>
>> When I run amber init, it warns me that there is contents in the dir
>> (which is true - I assume I will run alongside some cordova stuff) -
>> and it offers the prompt:
>>
>> Warning: Existing files may be overwritten! Use --force to continue.
>>
>> Aborted due to warnings.
>> grunt-init exec error:
>> 6
>>

>> amber init —force (doesn’t do anything), nor does (amber —force init)?
>>
>> What is the trick to this? Or are the instructions generated incorrect?
>>
>> Tim

Re: Use --force to continue ?

Herby Vojčík

Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> That makes sense  - might as well remove that spurious message from the output for future users.

It not amber's - it is grunt-init's.

> Tim
>
>> On 2 Mar 2016, at 20:49, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> There is no way to run amber init in nonempty directory. Run it in some tmp and copy things back if ypu need to do some kind of merging with existing stuff.
>>
>> Dňa 2. marca 2016 21:34:22 CET používateľ Tim Mackinnon<[hidden email]>  napísal:
>>> Hi guys - I’ve been running through Richards tutorials (which are very
>>> inspiring - although sparse in a few places, so I may have to ask a few
>>> questions)
>>>
>>> I’ve raced ahead to the Cordova bit (quite excited to try writing a
>>> phone app in amber) - anyway, I’ve got my cordova set up (had to play
>>> with npm versions which reminded me why I love a self contained
>>> smalltalk image) and have generated a stub project.
>>>
>>> I’ve gone into the www directory -
 where I assume I should run amber

>>> init (Richard is a bit vague on this bit).
>>>
>>> When I run amber init, it warns me that there is contents in the dir
>>> (which is true - I assume I will run alongside some cordova stuff) -
>>> and it offers the prompt:
>>>
>>> Warning: Existing files may be overwritten! Use --force to continue.
>>>
>>> Aborted due to warnings.
>>> grunt-init exec error:
>>> 6
>>>

>>> amber init —force (doesn’t do anything), nor does (amber —force init)?
>>>
>>> What is the trick to this? Or are the instructions generated incorrect?
>>>
>>> Tim

Re: Use --force to continue ?

Tim Mackinnon-6
Ahh - I’m still getting used to all the parts - in fact I was just reading your “https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Amber-Config” - its only just sinking in (there is so much to the js ecosystem - I’m glad you guys have simplified it a lot for us)

So maybe one day I will figure out how to add —force to amber so it can pass it down to grunt (assuming you might want that - as I’m guessing it just forces it to overrite things). Anyway  many more important things to learn before that.

Tim