Use of #deprecated: and/or #deprecatedExplanation:

Use of #deprecated: and/or #deprecatedExplanation:

garduino
Hi:

In Squeak was common the use of #deprecatedExplanation: and also #deprecate:

These methods are not present in Cuis, I'm interested in learn how manage the ports of packages that use de deprecation messages. It's a good practice use, for example, "self flag: 'comment'"?

Thanks.

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino

Re: Use of #deprecated: and/or #deprecatedExplanation:

Juan Vuletich-4
On 12/27/2013 3:24 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
Hi:

In Squeak was common the use of #deprecatedExplanation: and also #deprecate:

These methods are not present in Cuis, I'm interested in learn how manage the ports of packages that use de deprecation messages. It's a good practice use, for example, "self flag: 'comment'"?

Thanks.

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

We don't have a specific good practice for that... yet. What is the idea? To let package users know that that method should not be used? What does that method do in Squeak?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Use of #deprecated: and/or #deprecatedExplanation:

Casey Ransberger-2
When I do this, I usually do something like

self flag: #foo. "Need to remember to take care of foo. --cbr"

Main point of saying this is, it's nice to have a comment by the flag so when know who raised it and why.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/27/2013 3:24 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
Hi:

In Squeak was common the use of #deprecatedExplanation: and also #deprecate:

These methods are not present in Cuis, I'm interested in learn how manage the ports of packages that use de deprecation messages. It's a good practice use, for example, "self flag: 'comment'"?

Thanks.

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

We don't have a specific good practice for that... yet. What is the idea? To let package users know that that method should not be used? What does that method do in Squeak?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Use of #deprecated: and/or #deprecatedExplanation:

Frank Shearar-3
That's how they work in Squeak too: Deprecation below is a resumable
Notification:

Object >> deprecated: anExplanationString
    "Warn that the sending method has been deprecated."

    Preferences showDeprecationWarnings ifTrue:
        [Deprecation signal: thisContext sender printString, ' has
been deprecated. ', anExplanationString]

Typically used like this:

Behavior >> compile: code classified: category notifying: requestor
trailer: bytes ifFail: failBlock
    self deprecated: 'Use #compile:notifying:trailer:ifFail:'.
    ^self compile: code notifying: requestor trailer: bytes ifFail: failBlock

frank

On 28 December 2013 02:19, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan: I believe in Pharo they have deprecation warnings. There's a
> preference to turn them off, and IIRC the first time you hit a deprecated
> method with them enabled, the system complains (can't remember if it's a
> dialog or a debugger or what.)
>

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> When I do this, I usually do something like
>>
>> self flag: #foo. "Need to remember to take care of foo. --cbr"
>>
>> Main point of saying this is, it's nice to have a comment by the flag so
>> when know who raised it and why.
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 12/27/2013 3:24 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> In Squeak was common the use of #deprecatedExplanation: and also
>>> #deprecate:
>>>
>>> These methods are not present in Cuis, I'm interested in learn how manage
>>> the ports of packages that use de deprecation messages. It's a good practice
>>> use, for example, "self flag: 'comment'"?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Saludos / Regards,
>>> Germán Arduino
>>> www.arduinosoftware.com
>>>

>>> We don't have a specific good practice for that... yet. What is the idea?
>>> To let package users know that that method should not be used? What does
>>> that method do in Squeak?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich

Re: Use of #deprecated: and/or #deprecatedExplanation:

Casey Ransberger-2
Ah, okay, Squeak does it too then.

So, the question is, do we need this sort of thing in Cuis? Because nothing says deprecated quite like MessageNotUnderstood :D

Anyhow it seems to me the reason you'd want this behavior is to let people know to stop using stuff that's present temporarily for back compat, or I suppose maybe to inform #unloadAllKnownPackages that the deprecated stuff can go?

Since back compat isn't a strong goal in Cuis, and we're more generally just inclined to rip stuff that isn't absolutely required out, I'd argue that we don't really need this.

Counter arguments?

--C

On 28 December 2013 11:46, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah, okay, Squeak does it too then.
>
> So, the question is, do we need this sort of thing in Cuis? Because nothing says deprecated quite like MessageNotUnderstood :D
>
> Anyhow it seems to me the reason you'd want this behavior is to let people know to stop using stuff that's present temporarily for back compat, or I suppose maybe to inform #unloadAllKnownPackages that the deprecated stuff can go?

That's exactly why we have deprecation warnings in Squeak. The plan is
that 4.5 holds things deprecated in 4.4, and then in 4.6 we dump those
(but keep things deprecated in 4.5), and so on.

frank

> Since back compat isn't a strong goal in Cuis, and we're more generally just inclined to rip stuff that isn't absolutely required out, I'd argue that we don't really need this.
>
> Counter arguments?
>
> --C
>
>> On Dec 28, 2013, at 3:18 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That's how they work in Squeak too: Deprecation below is a resumable
>> Notification:
>>
>> Object >> deprecated: anExplanationString
>>    "Warn that the sending method has been deprecated."
>>
>>    Preferences showDeprecationWarnings ifTrue:
>>        [Deprecation signal: thisContext sender printString, ' has
>> been deprecated. ', anExplanationString]
>>

>> Typically used like this:
>>
>> Behavior >> compile: code classified: category notifying: requestor
>> trailer: bytes ifFail: failBlock
>>    self deprecated: 'Use #compile:notifying:trailer:ifFail:'.
>>    ^self compile: code notifying: requestor trailer: bytes ifFail: failBlock
>>
>> frank
>>
>>> On 28 December 2013 02:19, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Juan: I believe in Pharo they have deprecation warnings. There's a
>>> preference to turn them off, and IIRC the first time you hit a deprecated
>>> method with them enabled, the system complains (can't remember if it's a
>>> dialog or a debugger or what.)

Re: Use of #deprecated: and/or #deprecatedExplanation:

KenDickey
On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 03:46:33 -0800
Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since back compat isn't a strong goal in Cuis, and we're more generally just inclined to rip stuff that isn't absolutely required out, I'd argue that we don't really need this.

Not only that, but you can specify a requirement for an older version and a revision range where things do work.  Since this includes the base image, we can still safely share packages.

One of the motivations for both Cuis and Pharo to drop backward compatibility is to lessen the drag on forward progress.  Cuis (Comprehensible Uniform Incremental Simple :^) into conciseness and scalable Morphic(3) and Pharo into professional, systematically rational introspective tools.

It is good not to create arbitrary differences in dialect and to be conscious of where others are different and why, but the joy of evolution has its own imperative.  Useful aspects can be imaginatively created in any dialect and if really useful and not discordant will be picked up by others as makes sense.  But we must be free to experiment with new viewpoints.

I am basically a bottom-up tinkerer and incrementalist.  Some people can conceive of the grand plan, plan out the details, and just build it.  One of the joys of Smalltalk is the ability to aim for a direction, explore and try out a bunch of solutions and evolve toward goals rather than having to pre-plan and build toward goals.

For me it has to be simple enough to play around, have fun, learn, and produce things I think beautiful, or at least pretty.  I hope my code will be useful, but if it is not fun I will not get there.

Anyway, I depricate #depricated.

$0.02,
-KenD

-KenD

Re: Use of #deprecated: and/or #deprecatedExplanation:

garduino
I saw the use in the way, for example:

drawAxis: aBoolean
self deprecatedExplanation: 'use #shouldDrawAxis: instead'.
self shouldDrawAxis: aBoolean

but nothing that can not be replaced by a comment, imho.

On 12/28/2013 3:35 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
I saw the use in the way, for example:

drawAxis: aBoolean
self deprecatedExplanation: 'use #shouldDrawAxis: instead'.
self shouldDrawAxis: aBoolean

but nothing that can not be replaced by a comment, imho.

But only if you see some value in those methods. Otherwise, just nuke them! It is the best way to be sure nobody will use them :)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 12/27/2013 11:19 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
Juan: I believe in Pharo they have deprecation warnings. There's a preference to turn them off, and IIRC the first time you hit a deprecated method with them enabled, the system complains (can't remember if it's a dialog or a debugger or what.)

I know. But the point is, given that we don't do that in the base image, do we need to do it in external packages?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 12/28/2013 2:31 PM, Ken Dickey wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 03:46:33 -0800
> Casey Ransberger<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Since back compat isn't a strong goal in Cuis, and we're more generally just inclined to rip stuff that isn't absolutely required out, I'd argue that we don't really need this.
> Not only that, but you can specify a requirement for an older version and a revision range where things do work.  Since this includes the base image, we can still safely share packages.
>
> One of the motivations for both Cuis and Pharo to drop backward compatibility is to lessen the drag on forward progress.  Cuis (Comprehensible Uniform Incremental Simple :^) into conciseness and scalable Morphic(3) and Pharo into professional, systematically rational introspective tools.

:)

> It is good not to create arbitrary differences in dialect and to be conscious of where others are different and why, but the joy of evolution has its own imperative.  Useful aspects can be imaginatively created in any dialect and if really useful and not discordant will be picked up by others as makes sense.  But we must be free to experiment with new viewpoints.
>
> I am basically a bottom-up tinkerer and incrementalist.  Some people can conceive of the grand plan, plan out the details, and just build it.  One of the joys of Smalltalk is the ability to aim for a direction, explore and try out a bunch of solutions and evolve toward goals rather than having to pre-plan and build toward goals.

Yes!

> For me it has to be simple enough to play around, have fun, learn, and produce things I think beautiful, or at least pretty.  I hope my code will be useful, but if it is not fun I will not get there.

Same here.

> Anyway, I depricate #depricated.

Agreed.

> $0.02,