Useful Scintilla Editor Keys

TimM-3
Not sure if everyone knows that there are some useful keys that the
Scintilla editor provided by default that aren't listed in the Help -
Browser Keys list.

There are lots documented in: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDoc.html
however, many of them don't apply in D6 - and some that are listed are
obvious windows conventions anyway.

However the following are the useful ones that I've found (maybe others can
add more - I haven't included things like Ctrl-Home, or shifted extended
selection keys which are obvious conventions).

Ctrl-L   = Cut current line
Ctrl-J    = Duplicate current line
(Copy current line is missing although you can Ctrl-L, Ctrl V)

Ctrl-Shift-U   = Uppercase selection
(No lower case that I've found - although now sure how useful these really
are)

Ctrl-Up   = Scroll text pane up
Ctrl-Dn   = Scroll text pane down

Ctrl+BackSpace   = Delete to start of word.
Ctrl+Delete   = Delete to end of word.
Ctrl+Shift+BackSpace  = Delete to start of line.
Ctrl+Shift+Delete  = Delete to end of line.

Home, Home = Goto column 1 of the current line

Tim

Re: Useful Scintilla Editor Keys

Blair McGlashan-3
"TimM" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:dma0fd$6k4$[hidden email]...
> Not sure if everyone knows that there are some useful keys that the
> Scintilla editor provided by default that aren't listed in the Help -
> Browser Keys list.
>
> There are lots documented in: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDoc.html
> however, many of them don't apply in D6 - and some that are listed are
> obvious windows conventions anyway.

Remember those are the documented key bindings for Scite, which may be
different to the defaults in Scintilla. Oddly enough the default key
bindings are not documented for Scintilla, you have to look in the source
code.  The ScintillaView class>>defaultKeyMap lists all the key bindings I
extracted from the code.

> However the following are the useful ones that I've found (maybe others
> can add more - I haven't included things like Ctrl-Home, or shifted
> extended selection keys which are obvious conventions).
>
> Ctrl-L   = Cut current line
> Ctrl-J    = Duplicate current line
> (Copy current line is missing although you can Ctrl-L, Ctrl V)
> ...[snip]...

Tim which version of the system are you running. Are you still running a
beta. All of these are reported in the subsidiary tables below the global
bindings table at the top. This was not true in the betas, but was added
just before the release. Here's an extract:

      Ctrl+Shift+T #copyLine Copy Line
      Ctrl+Shift+U #convertToUppercase Convert To Uppercase
      Ctrl+T #twiddleLines Twiddle Lines

(Note that copy current line is Ctrl+Shift+T).

The only default Scintilla key bindings which are not operative are those
which clash with the global bindings, which will take precedence over
anything defined by a control.

Incidentally you can also customise the bindings in the Scintilla control,
although the interface to do this through the Published Aspect Inspector in
the view composer is a little basic, and there is no easy way to change the
configuration without modifying the views - you could, though, define an IDE
extension which replaced the key bindings when the views were opened.

Regards

Blair

Re: Useful Scintilla Editor Keys

TimM-3
> Tim which version of the system are you running. Are you still running a
> beta. All of these are reported in the subsidiary tables below the global
> bindings table at the top. This was not true in the betas, but was added
> just before the release. Here's an extract:
>
>      Ctrl+Shift+T #copyLine Copy Line
>      Ctrl+Shift+U #convertToUppercase Convert To Uppercase
>      Ctrl+T #twiddleLines Twiddle Lines

You're right - I'm in the process of migrating to the newest version, and
was using the wrong computer when I noticed this.

I'll report back if its still an issue.

Tim

Re: Useful Scintilla Editor Keys

Tim M
I can confirm that the Key Bindings in the help does correctly show all
keystrokes, as well as user assigned keysm (all mine are now appearing
consistently).

I should point out that since the list is so big, and we probably spend
most time in Class/System browsers - that many of the keys are not
obvious anymore. This is made harder by the fact that some keystrokes
are taken up by Refacting and Smalltalk behavior (e.g. Ctrl-T is a
refactoring key). There's not much you can do - other than creating a
user defined cheat sheet...

Tim