UserMessage & Localization

andre
Hi all,

After researching services for crowdsourced or distributed localization (transifex, crowdin, wordbee, onesky, cloudwords, etc), I now wonder how to extract all UserMessages from a Smalltalk image to aggregate them in a PO, XLIFF, Android XML or other format file for upload.

Has anyone done this before? How would one scan the image for literals and message sends associated with UserMessage in order to collect the key, catalog ID and defaultString ? So, basically this would mean finding all occurrences of the pattern:

        (#messageID << #catalogID >> 'Default String‘)

and all instances of literal arrays used for canvases (windowSpec). I’m really bad at the pattern search utility, but am guessing this would be the way to go. How would the search expression look like?

Or am I completely missing the obvious?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Andre

Re: UserMessage & Localization

Karsten Kusche
Hi Andre,

there’s also the Internationalizer parcel in VisualWorks 7.10+.
Once loaded you’ll find two items in the launcher’s Tools menu: „Browse Message Catalogs“ and „Browse Missing I18n Strings“. The first opens the CatalogsUI app and there you can see all catalogs and export them. Currently there’s only an export for lbl/idx files. If you want to add your own export, have a look at CatalogsUI>>writeAll to see how to add that functionality.

Kind Regards
Karsten

--
Karsten Kusche - Dipl. Inf. (FH) - [hidden email]
Georg Heeg eK - Köthen