Using CGI/FastCGI with GNU smalltalk

Frank Church-3
Is it possible to use CGI or FastCGI with gnu smalltalk on shared hosting?

I have also noticed the SCGI framework for Smalltalk and want to know
if that will also work.

I am trying to avoid having to use VPS's for my stuff.

--
Frank Church

Re: Using CGI/FastCGI with GNU smalltalk

Paolo Bonzini-2
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 13:05, Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it possible to use CGI or FastCGI with gnu smalltalk on shared hosting?

CGI is too slow.  FastCGI would be possible with code similar to the
SCGI plugin, but in practice the protocol is too complicated to be
worthwhile if you can use SCGI.

> I have also noticed the SCGI framework for Smalltalk and want to know
> if that will also work.

Yes, SCGI will also work and is preferred.  Nico has the most info on
how to do that.

Paolo

Re: Using CGI/FastCGI with GNU smalltalk

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

You can download a SCGI implementation for Swazoo from Github:
http://github.com/NicolasPetton/swazoo-scgi

After building the package, evaluate the following:

st> PackageLoader fileInPackage: 'Swazoo-SCGI'
st> site := Swazoo.SwazooSite newNamed: 'scgi-example'
st> site scgiPort: 4000
st> site addResource: (Swazoo.HelloWorldResource uriPattern: '/')
st> site start

You can now configure your favorite web server to handle SCGI on port
4000 :)

If you want to try it with Iliad, it is a bit different:

st> Iliad.ILSite default scgiPort: 4000
st> Iliad.ILSite default start

Same thing with Seaside (The swazoo site for Seaside is
"Seaside.SeasideSite default")

HTH,

Nico

Re: Using CGI/FastCGI with GNU smalltalk

Frank Church-3
Are there any shared hosting providers that support mod_scgi?

On 04/25/2010 11:06 PM, Frank Church wrote:
> Are there any shared hosting providers that support mod_scgi?

I gave a name offlist.

FastCGI shouldn't be hard to do, however first I'd like to cleanup
Swazoo a bit so that adding new transport protocols is not as ugly as
Nico had to do for SCGI.

Paolo