Using Iceberg to edit regular text files ?

Using Iceberg to edit regular text files ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Is it possible to use Iceberg to edit regular text files directly in Pharo ?

Specifically I would like to be able to edit README.md and similar files. Especially when using a all-in-one, the repo on file becomes quite hidden, and the whole idea is to hide the command line anyway, so it feels as if that should have to be possible.

Maybe just open a File Browser on the right directory ?

Sven

PS: I also had the impression that class comment changes did not show up in the diff browser.

Re: Using Iceberg to edit regular text files ?

EstebanLM
Hi,

> On 27 Jun 2017, at 15:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to use Iceberg to edit regular text files directly in Pharo ?
>
> Specifically I would like to be able to edit README.md and similar files. Especially when using a all-in-one, the repo on file becomes quite hidden, and the whole idea is to hide the command line anyway, so it feels as if that should have to be possible.
>
> Maybe just open a File Browser on the right directory ?

right now, yes.
I want to add the possibility to edit/commit regular files from image but is not my priority now (it will arrive, one moment of this year).

> Sven
>
> PS: I also had the impression that class comment changes did not show up in the diff browser.

iceberg uses old diff mechanism from monticello.
it *should* be there, but there may be a bug around…

Esteban

Re: Using Iceberg to edit regular text files ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 27 Jun 2017, at 16:05, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 27 Jun 2017, at 15:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to use Iceberg to edit regular text files directly in Pharo ?
>>
>> Specifically I would like to be able to edit README.md and similar files. Especially when using a all-in-one, the repo on file becomes quite hidden, and the whole idea is to hide the command line anyway, so it feels as if that should have to be possible.
>>
>> Maybe just open a File Browser on the right directory ?
>
> right now, yes.

But is that an action you can do from Iceberg, like click a button or some menu item ? Did I miss it ?

> I want to add the possibility to edit/commit regular files from image but is not my priority now (it will arrive, one moment of this year).

Will Iceberg just pick the repo source files and skip the other resources when committing ?

It does pull all files in, and I lost one commit because it got overwritten (I edited the README.md in the web browser and it got lost after I committed some code).

>> Sven
>>
>> PS: I also had the impression that class comment changes did not show up in the diff browser.
>
> iceberg uses old diff mechanism from monticello.
> it *should* be there, but there may be a bug around…
>
> Esteban

Re: Using Iceberg to edit regular text files ?

EstebanLM

> On 27 Jun 2017, at 16:11, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 27 Jun 2017, at 16:05, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 27 Jun 2017, at 15:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use Iceberg to edit regular text files directly in Pharo ?
>>>
>>> Specifically I would like to be able to edit README.md and similar files. Especially when using a all-in-one, the repo on file becomes quite hidden, and the whole idea is to hide the command line anyway, so it feels as if that should have to be possible.
>>>
>>> Maybe just open a File Browser on the right directory ?
>>
>> right now, yes.
>
> But is that an action you can do from Iceberg, like click a button or some menu item ? Did I miss it ?

no, I meant: right now yes, it is not possible :)

>> I want to add the possibility to edit/commit regular files from image but is not my priority now (it will arrive, one moment of this year).
>
> Will Iceberg just pick the repo source files and skip the other resources when committing ?

so far, it foes a “full repository commit”.

> It does pull all files in, and I lost one commit because it got overwritten (I edited the README.md in the web browser and it got lost after I committed some code).

yep. because is like a file export.
of course, all that can be improved :)

Esteban