classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using Icerberg programmatically.

Arturo Zambrano
Hi All,
 the new Iceberg is really cool. I'm using it in Pharo 6.1.

Is there some documentation  or script examples  on how to use Iceberg programmatically? I would like to write an script to pull changes to an existing repository, before doing some other stuff.  I can do it with the UI, but I would like to automatize it. Any pointer is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Arturo
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Using Icerberg programmatically.

demarey
Hi Arthur,

The starting point is the IceRepository.
You can build you own repository with IceRepositoryCreator or get an existing one from IceRepository registry.
Then on the repository you can call #pull.

Christophe

> Le 24 juil. 2018 à 20:09, Arturo Zambrano <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi All,
>  the new Iceberg is really cool. I'm using it in Pharo 6.1.
>  
>   Is there some documentation  or script examples  on how to use Iceberg programmatically? I would like to write an script to pull changes to an existing repository, before doing some other stuff.  I can do it with the UI, but I would like to automatize it. Any pointer is welcome.
>
>  Thanks in advance.
> Arturo

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
Hi Arturo,

First, I would not recommend too much to use the version on Pharo 6.1. That version is a preview version that is >6 months older than the new one in Pharo 7. This does not mean you cannot write a script, but we do not guarantee it will work in more recent version :).

If you then settle for the version on Pharo7, something you have to also care about is that while most of the basic API is stable enough, some others will evolve in the near future. There are many missing features, and we are trying to keep it as simple as possible so it can easily evolve...

Just a note about what you want to do: Be careful with programmatic pulling. A pull is a fetch + a merge. If you did not commit in your branch, the merge will be a simple fast-forward and you will have no further problems. But if you did commit, you will have a merge, with potentially conflicts. And conflicts have so far to be manually resolved.

Guille

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:51 AM Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Arthur,

You can build you own repository with IceRepositoryCreator or get an existing one from IceRepository registry.

Christophe

>
> Hi All,
>  the new Iceberg is really cool. I'm using it in Pharo 6.1.

>   Is there some documentation  or script examples  on how to use Iceberg programmatically? I would like to write an script to pull changes to an existing repository, before doing some other stuff.  I can do it with the UI, but I would like to automatize it. Any pointer is welcome.
>
>  Thanks in advance.
> Arturo

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

Arturo Zambrano
In reply to this post by demarey
Thanks Christophe, that's what I was looking for.
Arturo

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 4:51 AM Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Arthur,

Christophe

>
> Hi All,

>   Is there some documentation  or script examples  on how to use Iceberg programmatically? I would like to write an script to pull changes to an existing repository, before doing some other stuff.  I can do it with the UI, but I would like to automatize it. Any pointer is welcome.
>
>  Thanks in advance.
> Arturo

Reply | Threaded
|

Arturo Zambrano
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito
Hi  Guille.
 thanks for the advise. I will use it carefully, and try to move to Pharo 7 soon. 
 Arturo

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 5:02 AM Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Arturo,

First, I would not recommend too much to use the version on Pharo 6.1. That version is a preview version that is >6 months older than the new one in Pharo 7. This does not mean you cannot write a script, but we do not guarantee it will work in more recent version :).

If you then settle for the version on Pharo7, something you have to also care about is that while most of the basic API is stable enough, some others will evolve in the near future. There are many missing features, and we are trying to keep it as simple as possible so it can easily evolve...

Just a note about what you want to do: Be careful with programmatic pulling. A pull is a fetch + a merge. If you did not commit in your branch, the merge will be a simple fast-forward and you will have no further problems. But if you did commit, you will have a merge, with potentially conflicts. And conflicts have so far to be manually resolved.

Guille

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:51 AM Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Arthur,

Christophe

>
> Hi All,

>
>  Thanks in advance.
> Arturo

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13