Using Lively Fabrik in Elementary school program

Using Lively Fabrik in Elementary school program

R.D. Latimer
We're working on a course introducing elementary school students, k-6, to programming and critical thinking skills.

We'd like to use Lively Fabrik as one of the components of the course.
http://www.lively-kernel.org/repository/lively-wiki/Fabrik.xhtml

Are there other examples of Fabrik in addition to this page?

Thanks for your help,
Randy Latimer
[hidden email]   Virginia, US

Re: Using Lively Fabrik in Elementary school program

Lincke, Jens
Hi, Randy -

sorry, that's pretty much there was of Fabrik in Lively. We did not continue working
working on a special Fabrik programming inside of lively in favor of a more general and lightweight textual and graphical connect mechanism. Your have also to consider that this is actually a research prototype which was not meant to be a robust environment  required by elementary school children.

Best,
Jens

Am 22.08.2011 um 16:02 schrieb "R.D. Latimer" <[hidden email]>:

We're working on a course introducing elementary school students, k-6, to programming and critical thinking skills.

We'd like to use Lively Fabrik as one of the components of the course.
http://www.lively-kernel.org/repository/lively-wiki/Fabrik.xhtml

Are there other examples of Fabrik in addition to this page?

Thanks for your help,
Randy Latimer
[hidden email]   Virginia, US

Re: Using Lively Fabrik in Elementary school program

alanone1
To lively folks,

Why not do an Etoys in lively as well? (it was originally done in Morphic and will probably fit the lively architecture pretty well)

Cheers

Alan

Re: Using Lively Fabrik in Elementary school program

Steve Thomas
Randy,

Can you share more about the course?  I have also developed some things for elementary school and would be curious to see what you are working on.  Also a +1 for Etoys in Lively, there are some Etoys I created that would be nice for kids, teachers and parents to run, without having to download or install Etoys.

Stephen Thomas
Hillsborough, NJ

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:02 AM, R.D. Latimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're working on a course introducing elementary school students, k-6, to programming and critical thinking skills.

We'd like to use Lively Fabrik as one of the components of the course.
http://www.lively-kernel.org/repository/lively-wiki/Fabrik.xhtml

Are there other examples of Fabrik in addition to this page?

Thanks for your help,
Randy Latimer
[hidden email]   Virginia, US

Re: Using Lively Fabrik in Elementary school program

R.D. Latimer
We're developing a programming/critical thinking course at an elementary school here in Fairfax county Va.
We'd like to at least let the kids work some with what's there on the site
http://www.lively-kernel.org/repository/lively-wiki/Fabrik.xhtml

I realize this probably hasn't been developed into a full-fledged curriculum, however it looks like a great idea.

Is this the EToys link?
http://www.squeakland.org/
I'll take a look

An overview of languages we're planning on so far -
Sliding blocks for language statements:
Squeak (MIT)

Sliding blocks + defining your own procedures/functions
BYOB/Snap (Berkeley)

Typing in statements, and defining your own procedures/functions
Bootstrapworld (Scheme, WeScheme, DrRacket)
Logo, NetLogo (Northwestern)

More advanced -
Python, Processing language

The Squeakland and Ebots looks interesting, I haven't looked through that yet, but I'll do that.

If anyone would like links to any of these languages I can provide them

Thanks,
Randy Latimer

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Alan Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:
To lively folks,

Why not do an Etoys in lively as well? (it was originally done in Morphic and will probably fit the lively architecture pretty well)

Cheers

Alan

Re: Using Lively Fabrik in Elementary school program

alanone1
Scratch was done by many of the same people who did Etoys.

In some ways it is nicer and/or more convenient, and in other ways it is quite a bit more limiting, especially in the simulation and media spaces.

Check out: http://www.vpri.org/pdf/rn2005001_learning.pdf for an overview of Etoys vis a vis learning

and http://www.vpri.org/pdf/rn2005002_authoring.pdf for an overview of Etoys as programmable media

Cheers,

Alan

Re: Using Lively Fabrik in Elementary school program

R.D. Latimer
Hi Stephen,
  Here's a quick overview of what we're looking at for this year (there's a lot out there!).

Scratch
http://scratch.mit.edu/
BYOB (Scratch with ability to define new procedures/functions - blocks)
http://byob.berkeley.edu/

Bootstrapworld (Scheme - DrRacket + WeScheme - browser version)
http://www.bootstrapworld.org/
http://www.wescheme.org/

NetLogo
http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/

Python and Processing
python.org, processing.org

And now squeakland/etoys
http://www.squeakland.org/tutorials/

We're looking at grades k-6, but not all grades will cover the same material, for example kindergarten only covering Squeak and Etoys

Randy

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for these links, I'll read through them,

Also, just checking if you're aware of Scratch's evolution to BYOB (ability to write your own procedures/functions), at Berkeley
http://byob.berkeley.edu/

Randy

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Alan Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:
Scratch was done by many of the same people who did Etoys.

In some ways it is nicer and/or more convenient, and in other ways it is quite a bit more limiting, especially in the simulation and media spaces.

Check out: http://www.vpri.org/pdf/rn2005001_learning.pdf for an overview of Etoys vis a vis learning

and http://www.vpri.org/pdf/rn2005002_authoring.pdf for an overview of Etoys as programmable media

Cheers,

Alan

Re: Using Lively Fabrik in Elementary school program

alanone1
Sure ...

Cheers,

Alan