Using Pier as a CMS for a personal site (layouts and urls question)

Using Pier as a CMS for a personal site (layouts and urls question)

Offray
Hi all,

I'm reading the Dynamic Web Development (still I'm not in the Seaside
list or in the Pier, but I'm already part of Pharo, Squeak, Moose and
Aida lists, so I'm trying to subscribe to another community when my
interaction and questions get bigger) and I found at the beginning of
the section "7.7Rendering Lists and Tables" the skeleton of what could
be a personal site. Knowing about the existence of Pier I went to see
what personal sites where Pier Powered and I have found many that I
like. The one I like most is the Doru site at:

http://www.tudorgirba.com/

I really like the layout and colors and is pretty similar to what I
would choose for me and I thought that this could be an integrated
layout in the options provided by Pier (of course if Doru is fine with
that). So my first question is:

  * Could I use this layout? (pleeeease Doru, pleeeeeeease!!! ;-) ) and
how? This could be the base for a different layout with the time (that I
promise to share also) but is a really good starting point.

  * I see the blog on Ramon Leon ( onsmalltalk.com ) without the ugly
urls and the Doru's site have clean urls. The method to get them in
Seaside is documented in the Ramon's blog. Is the same for Pier (being
Seaside based) or there is any other procedure?

Thanks in advance,

Offray

Re: Using Pier as a CMS for a personal site (layouts and urls question)

Marcus Denker-4

On Aug 7, 2011, at 6:49 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm reading the Dynamic Web Development (still I'm not in the Seaside list or in the Pier, but I'm already part of Pharo, Squeak, Moose and Aida lists, so I'm trying to subscribe to another community when my interaction and questions get bigger) and I found at the beginning of the section "7.7Rendering Lists and Tables" the skeleton of what could be a personal site. Knowing about the existence of Pier I went to see what personal sites where Pier Powered and I have found many that I like. The one I like most is the Doru site at:
>
> http://www.tudorgirba.com/
>
> I really like the layout and colors and is pretty similar to what I would choose for me and I thought that this could be an integrated layout in the options provided by Pier (of course if Doru is fine with that). So my first question is:
>
> * Could I use this layout? (pleeeease Doru, pleeeeeeease!!! ;-) ) and how? This could be the base for a different layout with the time (that I promise to share also) but is a really good starting point.

You need to consider that Doru did this as part of the visiual identity of his Brand (personal and the one of humane assessment...). So if he makes the design public, he needs to
directly change it again to make his site visually distinct from all the others.

As such, giving away the design would mean for doru giving it up and having to invest  in a new one. Would not be very intelligent from his side.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

El 07/08/11 01:57, Marcus Denker escribió:

> On Aug 7, 2011, at 6:49 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm reading the Dynamic Web Development (still I'm not in the Seaside list or in the Pier, but I'm already part of Pharo, Squeak, Moose and Aida lists, so I'm trying to subscribe to another community when my interaction and questions get bigger) and I found at the beginning of the section "7.7Rendering Lists and Tables" the skeleton of what could be a personal site. Knowing about the existence of Pier I went to see what personal sites where Pier Powered and I have found many that I like. The one I like most is the Doru site at:
>>
>> http://www.tudorgirba.com/
>>
>> I really like the layout and colors and is pretty similar to what I would choose for me and I thought that this could be an integrated layout in the options provided by Pier (of course if Doru is fine with that). So my first question is:
>>
>> * Could I use this layout? (pleeeease Doru, pleeeeeeease!!! ;-) ) and how? This could be the base for a different layout with the time (that I promise to share also) but is a really good starting point.
>>

> You need to consider that Doru did this as part of the visiual identity of his Brand (personal and the one of humane assessment...). So if he makes the design public, he needs to
> directly change it again to make his site visually distinct from all the others.
>
> As such, giving away the design would mean for doru giving it up and having to invest  in a new one. Would not be very intelligent from his side.
>
> Marcus

Yep... I thought that for a while... just after writing the mail and I'm
perfectly fine with that (I mean design as a way of differentiation
should work in the FLOSS environment without the need to give the visual
design to community). I think that I can use something inspired by
Doru's site, but not a copy of it.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Using Pier as a CMS for a personal site (layouts and urls question)

Tudor Girba-2

On 7 Aug 2011, at 06:54, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm reading the Dynamic Web Development (still I'm not in the Seaside list or in the Pier, but I'm already part of Pharo, Squeak, Moose and Aida lists, so I'm trying to subscribe to another community when my interaction and questions get bigger) and I found at the beginning of the section "7.7Rendering Lists and Tables" the skeleton of what could be a personal site. Knowing about the existence of Pier I went to see what personal sites where Pier Powered and I have found many that I like. The one I like most is the Doru site at:
>
> http://www.tudorgirba.com/
>
> I really like the layout and colors and is pretty similar to what I would choose for me and I thought that this could be an integrated layout in the options provided by Pier (of course if Doru is fine with that). So my first question is:
>
> * Could I use this layout? (pleeeease Doru, pleeeeeeease!!! ;-) ) and how?

Not at this moment :(

> This could be the base for a different layout with the time (that I promise to share also) but is a really good starting point.

A good starting point is to familiarize yourself with Blueprint, which is the basic layout framework used in Pier:
http://www.blueprintcss.org/

> * I see the blog on Ramon Leon ( onsmalltalk.com ) without the ugly urls and the Doru's site have clean urls. The method to get them in Seaside is documented in the Ramon's blog. Is the same for Pier (being Seaside based) or there is any other procedure?

The reason is that I am using an old version of Pier/Seaside that got the URLs fixed. The latest one lost the solution.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com