Using SQlite3 and Seaside

aditya siram-2
Hi all,
I would like to use Seaside for to build a small web app around a SQlite3 database. What's stopping me is that the Squeak Sqlite3 bindings do not seem complete - there is for instance no method that compiles a query. There are also Sqlite bindings, should I be using those instead? Has anyone else had success with this?

thanks...
deech

Re: Using SQlite3 and Seaside

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 3:02 PM, aditya siram <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
I would like to use Seaside for to build a small web app around a SQlite3 database. What's stopping me is that the Squeak Sqlite3 bindings do not seem complete - there is for instance no method that compiles a query.

Compiles a query ? what are you talking a about ? something like prepared statements ?

Which others things you see that are not implemented ?

There are also Sqlite bindings, should I be using those instead? Has anyone else had success with this?

There is SqueakDBX. You can see our ann in this mailing list. We have SqueakDBX working with Slqite in Linux and someone do it in Windows. Which OS are you using ?

thanks...
deech

Re: Using SQlite3 and Seaside

aditya siram-2

Compiles a query ? what are you talking a about ? something like prepared statements ?

Yes I am talking about prepared statements.

Which others things you see that are not implemented ?

Nothing else so far, but prepared statements are pretty basic functionality that I've found in every other Sqlite3 binding I've used.  Without this queries are not cached and database performance takes a major hit ( to my knowledge ). This isn't a big deal for a singe-user app, but it might bog down a web app.

There is SqueakDBX. You can see our ann in this mailing list. We have SqueakDBX working with Slqite in Linux and someone do it in Windows. Which OS are you using ?

I am using Linux, but the Seaside server + app needs to completely portable across Windows, Linux and Mac. The reason for this is that the server needs to be mobile. I know this is possible because I developed a website using Seaside last year the server for which sits on a flash drive that can be plugged into and started on any Squeak-compatible computer. I know that Sqlite binding libraries are not be portable but there are versions available on all platforms.

Ok. SqueakDBX/OpenDBX doesn't support this (yet). As you can see here: http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/Future it will be in a future (1.5).

Which others things you see that are not implemented ?

Nothing else so far, but prepared statements are pretty basic functionality that I've found in every other Sqlite3 binding I've used.  Without this queries are not cached and database performance takes a major hit ( to my knowledge ). This isn't a big deal for a singe-user app, but it might bog down a web app.

I am one of the SqueakDBX developer and I am interesting in trying to have all the needed functionality. That's why I was asking.

I agree with you in your comments about prepared statements.

There is SqueakDBX. You can see our ann in this mailing list. We have SqueakDBX working with Slqite in Linux and someone do it in Windows. Which OS are you using ?

I am using Linux, but the Seaside server + app needs to completely portable across Windows, Linux and Mac. The reason for this is that the server needs to be mobile. I know this is possible because I developed a website using Seaside last year the server for which sits on a flash drive that can be plugged into and started on any Squeak-compatible computer. I know that Sqlite binding libraries are not be portable but there are versions available on all platforms.

This is the part I think I didn't understand. What are you doing ? you have the server running in a flush driver ? You have a VM (like VMWare, virtualbox, and so on) there ?

Please, tell me more about this. It sounds like strange but also innovator.

Cheers,

Mariano

thanks ...
-deech

Re: Using SQlite3 and Seaside

Chun, Sungjin
Hi,

For me or my application, this applies too. Which means that my application is portable
through Linux, Mac and Windows and also the application package is "portable/mobile" - can be
copied to flash or usb stick so that it can run anywhere :-)

I choose this approach though my application is a web application for single user. If you're
interested my application is at http://code.google.com/p/nxt-web/

If OpenDBX is easily portable on all three major platforms, I also am interested in porting from
current FFI base SQLite3 binding to OpenDBX.

But aditya siram's one seems like a multi-user web application... and he/she might need another
opinion :-)

Just my story.

[...]

stephane ducasse
why GNU?
and not something more friendly with smalltalk?

Stef

On May 8, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Chun, Sungjin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For me or my application, this applies too. Which means that my
> application is portable
> through Linux, Mac and Windows and also the application package is
> "portable/mobile" - can be
> copied to flash or usb stick so that it can run anywhere :-)
>
> I choose this approach though my application is a web application
> for single user. If you're
> interested my application is at http://code.google.com/p/nxt-web/
>
> If OpenDBX is easily portable on all three major platforms, I also
> am interested in porting from
> current FFI base SQLite3 binding to OpenDBX.
>
> But aditya siram's one seems like a multi-user web application...
> and he/she might need another
> opinion :-)
>

> Just my story.
>

> On May 9, 2009, at 5:03 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM, aditya siram
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> There is SqueakDBX. You can see our ann in this mailing list. We
>> have SqueakDBX working with Slqite in Linux and someone do it in
>> Windows. Which OS are you using ?
>>
>> I am using Linux, but the Seaside server + app needs to completely
>> portable across Windows, Linux and Mac. The reason for this is that
>> the server needs to be mobile. I know this is possible because I
>> developed a website using Seaside last year the server for which
>> sits on a flash drive that can be plugged into and started on any
>> Squeak-compatible computer. I know that Sqlite binding libraries
>> are not be portable but there are versions available on all
>> platforms.
>>
>> This is the part I think I didn't understand. What are you doing ?
>> you have the server running in a flush driver ? You have a VM (like
>> VMWare, virtualbox, and so on) there ?
>>
>> Please, tell me more about this. It sounds like strange but also
>> innovator.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> thanks ...
>> -deech

Re: Using SQlite3 and Seaside

Chun, Sungjin

why GPL, you mean this, right? (if not, just ignore :)
it's just personal favorite (or I can use dual licensing if anyone has interest on my
poor web app :)

for your second question, does it mean that why not use squeaksource or more
squeak/smalltalk friendly scm? it's because I'm using my own 3.8.2 based, MVC only
image (yes, I know there's pharo and it's far better, but I think it's not that fast for
my small sony vaio ux).

thank you

On May 9, 2009, at 9:21 AM, S.J.Chun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> why GPL, you mean this, right? (if not, just ignore :)
> it's just personal favorite (or I can use dual licensing if anyone
> has interest on my
> poor web app :)

I just want to let you know that GPL is not really compatible with
Smalltalk images.
So do not expect people to join because they can be scared just
because of that.

> for your second question, does it mean that why not use squeaksource
> or more
> squeak/smalltalk friendly scm?

No, everybody has its own choice. :)

> it's because I'm using my own 3.8.2 based, MVC only
> image (yes, I know there's pharo and it's far better, but I think
> it's not that fast for
> my small sony vaio ux).

I would really like to push so that pharo can be used.
We checked Cuis but this is forgetting too many hours of pain and
improvement.

> thank you

Re: Using SQlite3 and Seaside

Chun, Sungjin
Though I don't think GPL might cause big trouble with smalltalk
"image" (yes, I'm not a lawyer) but if so, it might be better for me
to change license of my code.(Partly, I want to provide opportunity
to choose GPL, and I think it's safer choice for "Free" S/W but this
is rather political subject and I want to just make pragmatic choice :)

Thank you, especially pharo's performance part :) I hope someday we'll
get very fast open source (or free) smalltalk. (and start world domination
project :)

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Chun, Sungjin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

For me or my application, this applies too. Which means that my application is portable
through Linux, Mac and Windows and also the application package is "portable/mobile" - can be
copied to flash or usb stick so that it can run anywhere :-)

Ok, now I wonder (yes, sorry for the offtopic) is this a solution due tue the ugly morphic? I mean, suppose I want to do ann "nice" desktop application with Squeak, is the best approach to do a seaside app for one only user using a browser and localhost ???

I choose this approach though my application is a web application for single user. If you're
interested my application is at http://code.google.com/p/nxt-web/

If OpenDBX is easily portable on all three major platforms, I also am interested in porting from
current FFI base SQLite3 binding to OpenDBX.

Please, define portable. OpenDBX should compile with Sqlite in Linux, Mac and Windows. I did it in Linux VERY easy, someone do it in Mac and other in Windows. I can test to do it also in Windows. Sorry I don't have a Mac to test it there.
No matter how easy OpenDBX compilation with Sqlite is in all platforms, the thing is that if you want to use SqueakDBX you need OpenDBX compiled and you also need the backend client library installed. In this case, for example, you need to have the Sqlite client libraries (in windows, a DLL).

So, if you want to have a simple zip or a directory in a pendrive, I don't know I this should work. I know there is a way FFI looks for the dlls in a specific place (you can tell it which places). So perhaps you can do that and put there the OpenDBX and the sqlite dlls. But, it was never tested before.

My question is, how have you being doing till now? Is there a driver for Sqlite that works in all OS for Squeak? Do you use another persistence strategy right now?

Cheers,

Mariano

On May 10, 2009, at 4:12 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Chun, Sungjin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

For me or my application, this applies too. Which means that my application is portable
through Linux, Mac and Windows and also the application package is "portable/mobile" - can be
copied to flash or usb stick so that it can run anywhere :-)

Ok, now I wonder (yes, sorry for the offtopic) is this a solution due tue the ugly morphic? I mean, suppose I want to do ann "nice" desktop application with Squeak, is the best approach to do a seaside app for one only user using a browser and localhost ???

Yes, another reason is that squeak does not provide international or unified input method
for Korean, Japanese or Other languages.

And at least for me, web application is much easier to build :-)

[...]

SQLite3, at least, has binary (which means already compiled) release for all my major platforms;
windows, linux, mac os x. And squeak does support FFI on these platforms I can use it without
problems.

OpenDBX case, yes, I know it could be easily built on POSIX or UNIX like environments, my problem
is Windows case, I cannot find yet binary release(dll?) for OpenDBX. SqueakDBX uses FFI(right?), so
it might not be a big problem.

Cheers,

Mariano

Thank you.

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Chun, Sungjin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On May 10, 2009, at 4:12 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Chun, Sungjin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

For me or my application, this applies too. Which means that my application is portable
through Linux, Mac and Windows and also the application package is "portable/mobile" - can be
copied to flash or usb stick so that it can run anywhere :-)

Ok, now I wonder (yes, sorry for the offtopic) is this a solution due tue the ugly morphic? I mean, suppose I want to do ann "nice" desktop application with Squeak, is the best approach to do a seaside app for one only user using a browser and localhost ???

Yes, another reason is that squeak does not provide international or unified input method
for Korean, Japanese or Other languages.

Did you try Pharo? They have done a lot of work with encoding and UTF-8. You could at least give it a try.

[...]

Ok. This is true. Sqlite have binaries for those OS. It is also true that Squeak support FFI in those platforms. But.....who invokes the C functions of the Sqlite driver? You do it manually ? Are you using a Squeak driver ? This is what I don't understand. How are now talking to Sqlite in those OS

OpenDBX case, yes, I know it could be easily built on POSIX or UNIX like environments, my problem
is Windows case, I cannot find yet binary release(dll?) for OpenDBX.

Yes. Actually they are. They have not been done by us but by someone else. They are here: http://reauktion.de/flugphase/en/2009/03/19/

SqueakDBX uses FFI(right?), so
it might not be a big problem.

No, It wouldn't be a big problem. Norbert (openDBX author) also made it work. I asked him the tips to do it and also the dll. I will let you know the responses if you are interested in.

Cheers,

Mariano

Cheers,

Mariano

Thank you.

Re: Re: Using SQlite3 and Seaside

Chun, Sungjin
I'm using Squeak driver (which uses FFI). And yes, I'm very interested in Windows binary.

My image does support UTF-8, (and most of my customization is for Korean text display)
but input method extension part does not work well; I've tested this with pharo too. I think
 to support internationalization better, squeak should have more default font for more langs
(like korean, chinese, japanese and others) and IME support (one for host os and another for
its own like emacs); just my thought.

BTW, I currently am not interested in making UI with squeak, for me, portable, personal
web app os good enough :)

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 5:39 AM, "S.J.Chun" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm using Squeak driver (which uses FFI). And yes, I'm very interested in Windows binary.

Ok. I just tested the dlls I told you in my windows machine and I worked perfect. All I did is:

1) Download dlls from here:  http://reauktion.de/flugphase/en/2009/03/19/ . Then I copied them to c:/windows/system32.
There is not only the OpenDBX dll but also the sqlite3 one. So, if you want to use the Sqlite3 driver you are using till now in windows, instead of SqueakDBX, you can also try it.

2) use sqlite3.exe and create a database. Something like this: sqlite3.exe sodbxtest

3) download SqueakDBX from MC or Universes.

4) Change DBXSqliteFacility #createConnection  and put the path you make for the database in 2)

5) Read how to run the tests here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6077 and run them.

To make run SqueakDBX with sqlite in Linux read: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6129.
For mac read: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6129 and http://smalltalkimpressions.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

If you will start using SqueakDBX you should read all the wiki: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6052 and specially the getting started: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6061.

Tell me if this works for you.

Consider talking in squeak-dev mailing list so that not to be so much of topic in this list :)

Cheers,

Mariano