Using a "browser" as an application window.

1 message Options

Using a "browser" as an application window.

Rob Rothwell
Just a quick question on what is possible, which is only related to Aida in that Aida can produce good looking output in a "window" (browser) from Squeak.

I have small tray applications that listen for Serial Port barcode input.  We use these tools for data collection during process improvement projects measuring various cycle times.  So, for example, we might want to know when a patient arrived at the X-Ray department for a certain test.

Often this might look like this:  Scan your badge, a window pops up, scan the patient, some tests with check boxes pop up, select the appropriate items and press enter, the window goes away and records the data.

While I know this is a traditional client application, I was wondering if there was any way to use a local squeak image as the "program" and maybe use a "browser" (like Google Gadgets) that are shown/hidden to display the output to.  In this way I could make good looking little "forms" without playing with Morphic.

I have no idea how technically difficult this is, and I guess it would be lot more "expensive," but it never hurts to ask!

Although, whether it is worth doing or not, is another question entirely...

Rob