Using meaningful links

Scott Gibson
I am looking to provide the ability within my Seaside app to send emails with meaningful links that could be selected in order to access a particular component view.  I believe that this is possible but I am unsure how so with Seaside.  What are some good approaches to this?

Right now I am looking at a couple of features that need this, both involve using links in emails that are sent out.  For example:

- to provide a user login acknowledgement function where an email is sent to a new user in order to confirm their email address

- the ability for an admin to select a link in an notification email in order to pull up a new user that the link references and do their work

Thanks!
Scott Gibson_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: Using meaningful links

Scott Gibson
I did not state it clearly but my main question was whether what I was looking to do was something that Seaside can provide or if I might need to hack a solution.  Sorry for not being as clear.

Thanks,
Scott

On May 19, 2011, at 9:11 PM, Scott Gibson wrote:

> I am looking to provide the ability within my Seaside app to send emails with meaningful links that could be selected in order to access a particular component view.  I believe that this is possible but I am unsure how so with Seaside.  What are some good approaches to this?
>
> Right now I am looking at a couple of features that need this, both involve using links in emails that are sent out.  For example:
>
> - to provide a user login acknowledgement function where an email is sent to a new user in order to confirm their email address
>
> - the ability for an admin to select a link in an notification email in order to pull up a new user that the link references and do their work
>

> Thanks!
> Scott Gibson_______________________________________________
> seaside mailing list

Re: Using meaningful links

Julian Fitzell-2
Hi Scott,

Sure. There are a number of possible approaches to this, including
using a RequestFilter around your application, registering a bunch of
"redirection handlers" or (even real applications that share
components with your main system), or just implementing
#initialRequest: on your root component to parse the URLs.

There's nothing built-in to help you generate what the URLs should be,
but you can easily implement something like what you're talking about.

Julian

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Scott Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did not state it clearly but my main question was whether what I was looking to do was something that Seaside can provide or if I might need to hack a solution.  Sorry for not being as clear.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott
>
> On May 19, 2011, at 9:11 PM, Scott Gibson wrote:
>
>> I am looking to provide the ability within my Seaside app to send emails with meaningful links that could be selected in order to access a particular component view.  I believe that this is possible but I am unsure how so with Seaside.  What are some good approaches to this?
>>
>> Right now I am looking at a couple of features that need this, both involve using links in emails that are sent out.  For example:
>>
>> - to provide a user login acknowledgement function where an email is sent to a new user in order to confirm their email address
>>
>> - the ability for an admin to select a link in an notification email in order to pull up a new user that the link references and do their work
>>

>> Thanks!
>> Scott Gibson_______________________________________________
>> seaside mailing list
>> [hidden email]

Re: Using meaningful links

Scott Gibson
Thanks Julian.  This is great news.

Scott

On May 31, 2011, at 9:00 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Sure. There are a number of possible approaches to this, including
> using a RequestFilter around your application, registering a bunch of
> "redirection handlers" or (even real applications that share
> components with your main system), or just implementing
> #initialRequest: on your root component to parse the URLs.
>
> There's nothing built-in to help you generate what the URLs should be,
> but you can easily implement something like what you're talking about.
>
> Julian
>
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Scott Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I did not state it clearly but my main question was whether what I was looking to do was something that Seaside can provide or if I might need to hack a solution.  Sorry for not being as clear.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>>
>> On May 19, 2011, at 9:11 PM, Scott Gibson wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking to provide the ability within my Seaside app to send emails with meaningful links that could be selected in order to access a particular component view.  I believe that this is possible but I am unsure how so with Seaside.  What are some good approaches to this?
>>>
>>> Right now I am looking at a couple of features that need this, both involve using links in emails that are sent out.  For example:
>>>
>>> - to provide a user login acknowledgement function where an email is sent to a new user in order to confirm their email address
>>>
>>> - the ability for an admin to select a link in an notification email in order to pull up a new user that the link references and do their work
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>> Scott Gibson_______________________________________________
>>> seaside mailing list
>>> [hidden email]

Re: Using meaningful links

NorbertHartl

Am 31.05.2011 um 15:00 schrieb Julian Fitzell:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Sure. There are a number of possible approaches to this, including
> using a RequestFilter around your application, registering a bunch of
> "redirection handlers" or (even real applications that share
> components with your main system), or just implementing
> #initialRequest: on your root component to parse the URLs.

I think it was asked before: What would be an appropriate way of injecting state generate by a filter into the application served by the handler? If I add a request filter that determines some things from the url I might set some things that are evaluated by the application to display certain things. Is there a nice way of doing?

thanks,

Norbert

> There's nothing built-in to help you generate what the URLs should be,
> but you can easily implement something like what you're talking about.
>
> Julian
>
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Scott Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I did not state it clearly but my main question was whether what I was looking to do was something that Seaside can provide or if I might need to hack a solution.  Sorry for not being as clear.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>>
>> On May 19, 2011, at 9:11 PM, Scott Gibson wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking to provide the ability within my Seaside app to send emails with meaningful links that could be selected in order to access a particular component view.  I believe that this is possible but I am unsure how so with Seaside.  What are some good approaches to this?
>>>
>>> Right now I am looking at a couple of features that need this, both involve using links in emails that are sent out.  For example:
>>>
>>> - to provide a user login acknowledgement function where an email is sent to a new user in order to confirm their email address
>>>
>>> - the ability for an admin to select a link in an notification email in order to pull up a new user that the link references and do their work
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>> Scott Gibson_______________________________________________
>>> seaside mailing list
>>> [hidden email]

Re: Using meaningful links

Scott Gibson
On Jun 3, 2011, at 7:17 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Am 31.05.2011 um 15:00 schrieb Julian Fitzell:
>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> Sure. There are a number of possible approaches to this, including
>> using a RequestFilter around your application, registering a bunch of
>> "redirection handlers" or (even real applications that share
>> components with your main system), or just implementing
>> #initialRequest: on your root component to parse the URLs.
>>
> I think it was asked before: What would be an appropriate way of injecting state generate by a filter into the application served by the handler? If I add a request filter that determines some things from the url I might set some things that are evaluated by the application to display certain things. Is there a nice way of doing?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert

After Julian helped to point me in the right direction I found in the Seaside book (I either forgot or just did not recognize it at the time) something that might help with this.  It is under chapter 18 - Managing from Expired Sessions.  Hope this helps some.

Scott

>> There's nothing built-in to help you generate what the URLs should be,
>> but you can easily implement something like what you're talking about.
>>
>> Julian
>>
>> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Scott Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I did not state it clearly but my main question was whether what I was looking to do was something that Seaside can provide or if I might need to hack a solution.  Sorry for not being as clear.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott

Re: Using meaningful links

Julian Fitzell-2
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 31.05.2011 um 15:00 schrieb Julian Fitzell:
>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> Sure. There are a number of possible approaches to this, including
>> using a RequestFilter around your application, registering a bunch of
>> "redirection handlers" or (even real applications that share
>> components with your main system), or just implementing
>> #initialRequest: on your root component to parse the URLs.
>>
> I think it was asked before: What would be an appropriate way of injecting state generate by a filter into the application served by the handler? If I add a request filter that determines some things from the url I might set some things that are evaluated by the application to display certain things. Is there a nice way of doing?

Hi Norbert,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, but it
sounds like your filter could store something in the property
dictionary of the RequestContext for later filters to find? Another
option is to use a dynamic variable or you could walk the handler
stack in the request context looking for the filter and ask it
directly.

Julian

Re: Using meaningful links

NorbertHartl

Am 06.06.2011 um 12:20 schrieb Julian Fitzell:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 31.05.2011 um 15:00 schrieb Julian Fitzell:
>>
>>> Hi Scott,
>>>
>>> Sure. There are a number of possible approaches to this, including
>>> using a RequestFilter around your application, registering a bunch of
>>> "redirection handlers" or (even real applications that share
>>> components with your main system), or just implementing
>>> #initialRequest: on your root component to parse the URLs.
>>>
>> I think it was asked before: What would be an appropriate way of injecting state generate by a filter into the application served by the handler? If I add a request filter that determines some things from the url I might set some things that are evaluated by the application to display certain things. Is there a nice way of doing?
>
> Hi Norbert,
>
> I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, but it
> sounds like your filter could store something in the property
> dictionary of the RequestContext for later filters to find? Another
> option is to use a dynamic variable or you could walk the handler
> stack in the request context looking for the filter and ask it
> directly.

It seems you understood perfectly what I was trying to ask. I myself thought about walk the handler chain to figure out things but somehow I felt this is not the best thing to do. Dynamic variable is indeed an idea I didn't think of. Thanks for that.
The property dictionary of RequestContext is what I was looking for. That is the missing link (and I didn't know it exists).

thanks,

Norbert