Using moose to install portable apps?

Offray
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if is possible to use Moose to install portable apps
Like Xmind[1] or Etoys[2]. Both have a packaging that include the
virtual machine and the software for Windows, Linux and Mac, so
installing it would be matter of telling moose where to download the
files and how to execute the proper file according to the operative
system. May be a more modular and intelligent way could be implemented
using the data analysis tools of moose and models to declare
dependencies between software and may be adding compiling tools or other
ways to install the software.

If you have any hint about where can I get started with this idea it
would be appreciated (I know that on this, pharo and pier mailing list I
continuously ask for pointers for different starting ideas... all they
are related, but now I just have not the time to start with them because
I was preparing the first part of my Ph.D exam... hopefully if I can get
any time to code and proper pointers, it will be with some code on
Smalltalk, instead of reinventing the wheel in other language).

[1] http://xmind.net/
[2] http://squeakland.org/download/

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Using moose to install portable apps?

abergel
Hi Offray!

I am not sure to perfectly understand. Moose works well on Linux, Windows and OSX. Just grab the one click from http://www.moosetechnology.org/
Does this answer your question?

Saludos,
Alexandre

On 29 Nov 2011, at 23:07, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just wondering if is possible to use Moose to install portable apps Like Xmind[1] or Etoys[2]. Both have a packaging that include the virtual machine and the software for Windows, Linux and Mac, so installing it would be matter of telling moose where to download the files and how to execute the proper file according to the operative system. May be a more modular and intelligent way could be implemented using the data analysis tools of moose and models to declare dependencies between software and may be adding compiling tools or other ways to install the software.
>
> If you have any hint about where can I get started with this idea it would be appreciated (I know that on this, pharo and pier mailing list I continuously ask for pointers for different starting ideas... all they are related, but now I just have not the time to start with them because I was preparing the first part of my Ph.D exam... hopefully if I can get any time to code and proper pointers, it will be with some code on Smalltalk, instead of reinventing the wheel in other language).
>
> [1] http://xmind.net/
> [2] http://squeakland.org/download/
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Using moose to install portable apps?

Nicolas Anquetil
I have a feeling that there is some misunderstanding on what Moose is.

Moose is an environnment to analyze data. It is primarily used to reverse engineer legacy systems. It is not used to install anything nor execute anything.

It "just" allows one to study presumably big software system to try to understand them better.

nicolas

> I am not sure to perfectly understand. Moose works well on Linux,
> Windows and OSX. Just grab the one click from
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/
> Does this answer your question?
>
> Saludos,
> Alexandre
>

> On 29 Nov 2011, at 23:07, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm just wondering if is possible to use Moose to install portable
> > apps Like Xmind[1] or Etoys[2]. Both have a packaging that include
> > the virtual machine and the software for Windows, Linux and Mac, so
> > installing it would be matter of telling moose where to download the
> > files and how to execute the proper file according to the operative
> > system. May be a more modular and intelligent way could be
> > implemented using the data analysis tools of moose and models to
> > declare dependencies between software and may be adding compiling
> > tools or other ways to install the software.
> >
> > If you have any hint about where can I get started with this idea it
> > would be appreciated (I know that on this, pharo and pier mailing
> > list I continuously ask for pointers for different starting ideas...
> > all they are related, but now I just have not the time to start with
> > them because I was preparing the first part of my Ph.D exam...
> > hopefully if I can get any time to code and proper pointers, it will
> > be with some code on Smalltalk, instead of reinventing the wheel in
> > other language).
> >
> > [1] http://xmind.net/
> > [2] http://squeakland.org/download/
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Offray

> Alexandre Bergel http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Using moose to install portable apps?

Offray
Hi,

Thanks Alexandre and Nicolas for your answers. I understand that moose
is a tool for software analysis and not used to install or execute
anything. I'm trying to stretch the uses a little. I imagine that you
can use Smalltalk to declare something like:

 * download this.
 * create this folder
 * extract this on this folder
 * run this.

This four steps are the only thing that are needed to "install &
execute" portable apps[1]. It seems to me that Moose would be capable
of running these steps. I was thinking that because of the data
oriented nature of moose, it will have properly support for Operative
System task as downloading, extracting, etc (something like the
os.system calls in python, but a la Smalltalk way). And because of the
flexibility of visualizations and browsers would be possible to write
particular GUI for this kind of "scripts". Having a One Click
Experience Moose with this kind of scripts for several apps for
different operative systems would let you bootstrap a portable
"personal learning environment" that is real my intention (data
analysis would come after). Is this possible?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application

Cheers,

Offray

Alex, nice to have you in Chile and seeing, with Argentina, a stronger
Smalltalk Latin American presence.

On Wed Nov 30 09:04:03 2011, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> I have a feeling that there is some misunderstanding on what Moose is.
>
> Moose is an environnment to analyze data. It is primarily used to reverse engineer legacy systems. It is not used to install anything nor execute anything.
>
> It "just" allows one to study presumably big software system to try to understand them better.
>
> nicolas

Moose has a one click image:
http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/moose_suite-4_6_dev.zip

What do you feel is missing?

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Using moose to install portable apps?

offray

you do not need moose to create a program that does what you want.
> * download this.
        url and Zinc I guess

> * create this folder
        FS