Using "onChangeOfPort: act:" to update data in a browser

Using "onChangeOfPort: act:" to update data in a browser

Offray
Hi,

I'm reviewing my code, now that I have a better understanding of ports,
transmissions and panes. I have nested browsers in my project: a tree
that calls a generic node view, but when tagged it calls a custom node
view which is a "sub-browser". For this I think that is better to use
"onChangeOfPort: act:" instead of the "hacky" way of sending message to
#nirvana or #nowhere ports.

So, for example I have this minimal example to create a browser:

http://ws.stfx.eu/CTGIBTCE70JL

How can I change it to use "onChangeOfPort: act:" to update
automatically the values in the dict instead of using "to: #values port:
#nirvana;"?

Thanks,

Offray

Re: Using "onChangeOfPort: act:" to update data in a browser

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Unfortunately, this is not possible because your code depends on two ports :(.

But, thanks for the case. While your #nirvana solution is quite good for this case, it's a good case to remember for future development.

Cheers,
Doru

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm reviewing my code, now that I have a better understanding of ports, transmissions and panes. I have nested browsers in my project: a tree that calls a generic node view, but when tagged it calls a custom node view which is a "sub-browser". For this I think that is better to use "onChangeOfPort: act:" instead of the "hacky" way of sending message to #nirvana or #nowhere ports.

So, for example I have this minimal example to create a browser:

http://ws.stfx.eu/CTGIBTCE70JL

How can I change it to use "onChangeOfPort: act:" to update automatically the values in the dict instead of using "to: #values port: #nirvana;"?

Thanks,

Offray

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Using "onChangeOfPort: act:" to update data in a browser

Tudor Girba-2
Btw, this was a good example of a question that was easy to answer. It was short, clear, technical and easily reproducible. Keep it up.

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Using "onChangeOfPort: act:" to update data in a browser

Offray
Thanks. Putting details on my blog post help me to create a better
balance between context and detailed questions. The last one about
connecting playgrounds with the document tree is a bit longer, but I
think that still tries that balance. Hopefully you will have time to
give it a look.

Cheers,

Offray