Using passive images question

Carl Gundel-2
Hey,

I'm reading the Server Smalltalk docs and in the Using passive images section I see this note.

Re: Using passive images question

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 8:34:19 AM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
Hey,

I'm reading the Server Smalltalk docs and in the Using passive images section I see this note.

e.g.
##(Dictionary new
at: #oneKey put: #oneValue;
at: #amother put: #anotherValue;
yourself)

-Carl

Re: Using passive images question

Carl Gundel-2
Thanks Richard,

So, this includes also literal arrays?  #( 1 2 3 )

I assume that the expression you include is okay without the ##( ) part.

-Carl

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 9:03:31 AM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
Thanks Richard,

So, this includes also literal arrays?  #( 1 2 3 )

I'm not sure what you are asking here. A literal expression is not a compile-time constant.

I assume that the expression you include is okay without the ##( ) part.

Correct. The use of ##( ... ) is what makes it a CTC,

In general, avoid CTCs. There are two many limitations with them to justify their use.

I really like the idea, but too much information is compiled out. (Nothing except the resulting CTC can be found in the method's literals.)

-Carl

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 11:55:50 AM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 8:34:19 AM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
Hey,

I'm reading the Server Smalltalk docs and in the Using passive images section I see this note.

e.g.
##(Dictionary new
at: #oneKey put: #oneValue;
at: #amother put: #anotherValue;
yourself)

-Carl

Re: Using passive images question

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Sheesh! (I'm trying out a new keyboard, but that doesn't explain or excuse misspellings.)
s/two/too/