VA 8.5 - DBString>>encodeOn:

Marten Feldtmann-2
If you develop under Windows and then perhaps you switch to Linux for deployment you may run (under Seaside) in a stack overflow error.

The reason for this seems to be a missing DBString>>encodeOn: method. Without that the encodeOn: method of Object is used and creates a walkback.

I do not know a fix for it yet, because the implementation from String will not work (because the missing UTF8 functionality).

The same under Windows works without problems ...

One of these project stoppers ... seems, that I have to solve the problems Joachim mentioned in another posting before I can go on with my project .....

Re: VA 8.5 - DBString>>encodeOn:

Marten Feldtmann-2
The same happens under Windows (not only Linux). In general: using instances of DBString under Seaside brings you an endless recursion and breaks your Seaside application.

I did not know, that I use instances of DBString and I ask myself: Where do the instances from DBString come from? Then I found the reason: from a RSS feed from outside (actually the same, which leads to the XML-to-Object mapping problem mentioned in an different posting here in this forum).

Booo, Ey - all these little problems become nastier and nastier and away is the productivity of Smalltalk. Joachim: I think it is the same error you mentioned in your posting. Looking at the source code I'm now in the area of codec, codec streams etc ...

Re: VA 8.5 - DBString>>encodeOn:

jtuchel
Marten,

I can imagine it is the same problem. I remember sitting in front of my VAST and trying to port the Unicode encoder stuff from Pharo a few months ago (in order to solve the very same Ajax problem) and giving up after a few hours. It seemed not to be worth the effort if Instantiations is working on UTF-8 support anyways... There is a lot of checking for double bytes and such and you need to understand a lot of what's going on deep down in Pharo to get this to run.

So I can understand a little now why it takes Instantiations a lot of time to finish Unicode support - even more so if I read your postings on your ICU integration stuff. Unicode is not just a question of converting strings, but goes very deeply into the system.

But supporting Unicode is an absolute *MUST* if VA ST is to be of any help to VA ST users outside the U.S. (and even for all inside the US if they target international users) together with Seaside or web services, because not supporting it will break Seaside (or any other web connected application) in all kinds of ways.

Re: VA 8.5 - DBString>>encodeOn:

Marten Feldtmann-2
I also looked at this code and got the same feeling. You must have a deep understanding of the low level Seaside stuff to make it right.

But these Seaside problems are not due to missing Unixcode support - they can be written in a Pharo like way.

But I see no other (good) way, than porting/rewriting the missing stuff on my own.

Marten

Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2011 08:32:30 UTC+2 schrieb [hidden email]:
Marten,

I can imagine it is the same problem. I remember sitting in front of my VAST and trying to port the Unicode encoder stuff from Pharo a few months ago (in order to solve the very same Ajax problem) and giving up after a few hours. It seemed not to be worth the effort if Instantiations is working on UTF-8 support anyways... There is a lot of checking for double bytes and such and you need to understand a lot of what's going on deep down in Pharo to get this to run.

Re: VA 8.5 - DBString>>encodeOn:

jtuchel
Hi Marten,

in my case, it's not a DBString at all, just a normal String instance that is encoded in UTF-8. You can easily find out by using my sample app and putting a Breakpoint in #serializedString: . The parameter is a String instance.

Just for my understanding: where do you draw a line between utf-8 support and unicode support?

Joachim

Re: VA 8.5 - DBString>>encodeOn:

Marten Feldtmann-2
* I guess, that one can solve the Seaside problems with simple conversions from codepage A to codepage B and reverse - this can be done without any UTF support by the VM. Not considering performance questions here

Unicode support means for me:

* will full Unicode support I would expect full UTF8/UTF16 support within ENVY also. Then you can switch from Windows to Linux for and back without any problems. I assume, this is a pretty big work - and I do not expect that this is happening any time soon and then of course: make such a big change without effects for the customer !!!

* then of course stuff searching, regular expression - all the stuff ICU offers :-))

Re: VA 8.5 - DBString>>encodeOn:

jtuchel
Hi Marten,

I must admit that I never worried about this difference before, but motivated by your post I wanted to feel a little less stupid, so I asked Big G the follwing question: "what is the difference between utf-8 and unicode".
And here's the most helpful link I found: http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-unicode-and-utf-8/

So yes, I agree. I would be happy if VAST provided a working UTF-8 encoder for WASstServerAdaptor to support utf-8 encodings in Seaside and other frameworks. That would be sufficient.