VA 8.5 - ini-files and content delimiter has been changed

VA 8.5 - ini-files and content delimiter has been changed

Marten Feldtmann-2
There has been a "nice" change of the syntax of an ini file between VA 8.03 and VA 8.5, which is not mentioned in the migration guide (or I have not found it there) - but in the chapter about the syntax of an ini file. I've only found it, because I was searching for it.

It should affect normally all delivered programs, when you just deliver an VA 8.03 ini file with your VA 8.5 application:

If you define an entry with multiple elements (like bitmapPath) you must now use $, as a delimiter and NOT $; any more.

Re: VA 8.5 - ini-files and content delimiter has been changed

John O'Keefe-3
Marten -

You are correct that this change was not covered in the Migration Guide section on .INI file changes (as it should have been).  However, it is described in the Smalltalk User's Guide .INI file syntax where it is specifically noted that this change occurred.  Since the previous array separator ($;) was the same as the comment separator, it was impossible to tell the difference between an array of values (such as for bitmapPath) and a single value followed by a comment.  We will update the Migration Guide to describe this change.

John