VA 8.6, ICs, Packaging and Seaside REST

Marten Feldtmann-2
Ok, the VA 8.6 is out and I tried to package the Seaside REST application (into an IC) ported from Squeak with intensive usage of pragmas and ... it failed.

It failed with one of the errors I knew from 8.52: "store into read-only object".

Therefore: if you want to use pragmas under VA you will not be able to package ICs. Therefore forget pragmas ...

Marten

Re: VA 8.6, ICs, Packaging and Seaside REST

Marten Feldtmann-2
The source for this is, that in

CompiledMethod>>pragmas

Instantiations tried to fix this and marks the pragma instance as writeable - BUT this does not work.

#markReadOnly: STILL returns true (the receiver is still read-only) even after executing markReadOnly: false.

Re: VA 8.6, ICs, Packaging and Seaside REST

Dusty-2
This may be my problem (Reported as Case INST51949).

I packaged the application and include (and not reduce) SeasideRESTCoreApp.
The application still launches but as soon as I try to access it I get:

"Fatal Application Error
Exit due to error: 54 - General protection fault - write to invalid
memory location".

Just my 2c

KR
Dusty

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Marten Feldtmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
The source for this is, that in

CompiledMethod>>pragmas

Instantiations tried to fix this and marks the pragma instance as writeable - BUT this does not work.

#markReadOnly: STILL returns true (the receiver is still read-only) even after executing markReadOnly: false.

Re: VA 8.6, ICs, Packaging and Seaside REST

jtuchel
Marten,

I was and still am (and will be for a while) convinced that Seaside-REST is not a good way to implement RESTful web services. Defining the names of handlers by Pragmas feels so wrong I can hardly describe it ;-)

But this, of course does not help you at all, so sorry for that ;-)))

Joachim

Am Montag, 7. Oktober 2013 14:32:51 UTC+2 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
Ok, the VA 8.6 is out and I tried to package the Seaside REST application (into an IC) ported from Squeak with intensive usage of pragmas and ... it failed.

It failed with one of the errors I knew from 8.52: "store into read-only object".

Therefore: if you want to use pragmas under VA you will not be able to package ICs. Therefore forget pragmas ...

Marten

Re: VA 8.6, ICs, Packaging and Seaside REST

SebastianHC
I currently successfully use ZincREST under another Smalltalk dialect and I can only share you opinion, Joachim.

Since there is no Pragma-Viewer in VAST, Seaside REST is not really usable in a larger application anyways.

And on the other hand REST is a really needed feature and I hope "Preston" will soon be open source :-D

Sebastian

Am 07.10.2013 10:38, schrieb [hidden email]:
Marten,

I was and still am (and will be for a while) convinced that Seaside-REST is not a good way to implement RESTful web services. Defining the names of handlers by Pragmas feels so wrong I can hardly describe it ;-)

But this, of course does not help you at all, so sorry for that ;-)))

Joachim

Am Montag, 7. Oktober 2013 14:32:51 UTC+2 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
Ok, the VA 8.6 is out and I tried to package the Seaside REST application (into an IC) ported from Squeak with intensive usage of pragmas and ... it failed.

It failed with one of the errors I knew from 8.52: "store into read-only object".

Therefore: if you want to use pragmas under VA you will not be able to package ICs. Therefore forget pragmas ...

Marten

Re: VA 8.6, ICs, Packaging and Seaside REST

Leo O.
Hi All,
Is this case still open ?
I packeged my Rest App and when try to access:

"Fatal Application Error
Exit due to error: 54 - General protection fault - write to invalid
memory location".

In a Dev Image all works perfect. I'm using va 8.6.1
Thanks in advance.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Marten Feldtmann <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="pqxTgAiPt8IJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">marten.f...@googlemail.com> wrote:
The source for this is, that in

CompiledMethod>>pragmas

Instantiations tried to fix this and marks the pragma instance as writeable - BUT this does not work.

#markReadOnly: STILL returns true (the receiver is still read-only) even after executing markReadOnly: false.

Re: VA 8.6, ICs, Packaging and Seaside REST

Long Haired David

On Monday, October 7, 2013 at 1:32:51 PM UTC+1, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Ok, the VA 8.6 is out and I tried to package the Seaside REST application (into an IC) ported from Squeak with intensive usage of pragmas and ... it failed.

It failed with one of the errors I knew from 8.52: "store into read-only object".

Therefore: if you want to use pragmas under VA you will not be able to package ICs. Therefore forget pragmas ...

Marten\\

TORest was made Freeware some time ago. It can be downloaded from http://www.totallyobjects.com/rest.htm

The blurb says"

"TORest provides tools to enable developers and application end-users to use the power of Regular Expressions (also known as regex) to do complex text pattern matching and processing. Regular expressions are most commonly associated with tools such as grep and programming languages such as Perl. Totally Objects have combined the Regular Expression functionality from these and other tools making a powerful Regular Expression toolset for VA  Smalltalk. The parser and engine can be configured to behave similarly to your favourite flavour of Regular Expression.

The parts of a regex give an indication as to which characters in a test string should or should not match. For example, the regex h[eau]llo will match a character sequence in a test string starting with 'h' followed by an 'e', 'a' or 'u' followed by the sequence 'llo'. So if we try to match using the test string 'A big hallo to you' we will have a match as shown: 'A big hallo to you'.

TORest is compatible with all versions of Smalltalk from 5.5 up to V 8.0"

David

Totally Objects.

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: VA 8.6, ICs, Packaging and Seaside REST

John O'Keefe-3
This problem is fixed (finally) in the upcoming 8.6.2.

The other REST-related issue fixed in 8.6.2 is that the REST code needs access to the argument names of the REST-enabled methods. The Pharo SeasideREST code just accesses the source code to find these argument names. This is no problem if you are running a development system, but is totally broken in packaged run time since the source is not available. Our solution to this problem is to add a 'hidden pragma' (or, if you like, a 'system pragma') that carries the argument names into run time.

I claim no particular expertise in REST and will let others guide you whether to use SeasideREST or some other approach.

John O'Keefe