VA Smalltalk 8.6.3 - Server Runtime Installation - AIX, Linux, libc.so

VA Smalltalk 8.6.3 - Server Runtime Installation - AIX, Linux, libc.so

Santiago Cardoso Geller-3
Hello!
I think Linux Server Runtime and AIX Server Runtime installation instructions should be updated since version 8.6.3.
I found that libc.so should be linked manually after unzip the Runtime packages.

For Linux (at least Debian 8 or Ubuntu 16.04 [both 64 bits] ) these commands must be executed:

ln -s /lib/libc.so.6 <server_dir>/bin/libc.so

And for AIX (6.1 and 7.1 [both 64 bits]) the following:

ar -X 32 -x /usr/lib/libc.a shr.o
mv shr.o <server_dir>/bin/libc.so

I also needed to File-In a fix that Lee sent to me via a support request. I attach the file here (regenerateDefinition.st).

Without these steps, it is not possible to execute an XD image when you package the SocketCommunicationInterface App in the image. The following occurs without the libc.so link:

1) Primitive failed calling 'SOCKETS':gethostname from PlatformFunction>>#callWith:with: due to OS error1
Process reportError: Primitive failed calling 'SOCKETS':gethostname from PlatformFunction>>#callWith:with: due to OS error1

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Santiago

regenerateDefinition.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: VA Smalltalk 8.6.3 - Server Runtime Installation - AIX, Linux, libc.so

Solveig
Hello Santiago,

Thanks for the information. We have updated our installation instructions to reflect the oversight.

The File-In will be incorporated in our next release.

Regards,
Solveig

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 10:05:26 AM UTC-4, Santiago Cardoso Geller wrote:
Hello!
I think Linux Server Runtime and AIX Server Runtime<a href="http://www.instantiations.com/products/vasmalltalk/download.html#linux" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.instantiations.com%2Fproducts%2Fvasmalltalk%2Fdownload.html%23linux\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNExWS8MRIKfmgvaHZITt9jZEPvieA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.instantiations.com%2Fproducts%2Fvasmalltalk%2Fdownload.html%23linux\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNExWS8MRIKfmgvaHZITt9jZEPvieA&#39;;return true;"> installation instructions should be updated since version 8.6.3.