VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

Seth Berman
Greetings,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack.

Fixpacks contain fixes to smalltalk sources and/or external resources (i.e. virtual machine and supporting dlls) that have been discovered or reported since the release of 9.1.

If you have an active support license, you can get the 9.1.1 Fixpack from the VA Smalltalk downloads page under the "9.1 Fixpacks" section.

Have a great weekend!

-- Seth Berman

Re: VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Seth,

Congratulations.  I don't know why this stuff always confuses me but it does.  I have the 64 bit version of EMSRV running.  It is managing a 9.1 image and I think a bunch of 8.6.3 images.  Lets leave the 8.6.3 stuff aside as the fixpack should have nothing to do with them.

Right now I am only working with one 32 bit 9.1 image but I expect to work with 64 bit images in the future.  I think there is only one Fixpack911.dat file that gets copied to different places, I guess, for our convenience.  I think that is where I get confused.

Do I only have to import the configuration maps once?  Then load them into what ever images I'm working with?  For example, I normally start with what is very close to a bare bones VA image.  I have configurations maps for each application.  If I somehow hose an image (it happens) I copy that base image, then use that copy and load things for an app with its config map.

I guess I'm asking, when I want to work with 64 bit images, is the manager the same?  Just the images are 64 bit?

Either I'm starting to get this or I'm way off:((

Lou

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 11:11:42 AM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
Greetings,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack.

Fixpacks contain fixes to smalltalk sources and/or external resources (i.e. virtual machine and supporting dlls) that have been discovered or reported since the release of 9.1.

If you have an active support license, you can get the 9.1.1 Fixpack from the VA Smalltalk downloads page under the "9.1 Fixpacks" section.

Have a great weekend!

-- Seth Berman

Re: VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

Seth Berman
Hi Lou,

An ENVY manager format is independent of bitness.  It manages code for all versions of VA (and Visualage).
And you would need to import the fixpack911.dat file once per ENVY repository since that is where the code lives...and the fixpack.dat is the code.

Do I only have to import the configuration maps once?
- Once per ENVY repository...yes.

Then load them into what ever images I'm working with?
- Yes, but you must save the image to persist the changes or otherwise include the fixpack maps in your configuration loading process.

I guess I'm asking, when I want to work with 64 bit images, is the manager the same?
- Yes, same manager.

Just the images are 64 bit?
- Yes, the image format is 32 or 64-bit...but they load source code from the same manager and compile it in their bitness format.

-- Seth

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 12:46:05 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
[...]

Noschvie
Hi Seth,
well done! I have the fixpack tested with our application and for both platforms, x86 and x64.

(System imageVersion printStringRadix: 16 showRadix: false) -> '910'
System vmVersion -> '4.0, 10/01/18 (100)'

the version of the image has not been changed, the VM version has a changed timestamp. What means the "4.0" at the beginning?

Regards, Norbert

Re: VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

Seth Berman
Hello Norbert,

Wonderful to hear...thanks for helping to verify that.
This version convention is from the old virtual machine and IBM days.
We track timestamps and build numbers, and internally we use git tags as we do internal builds for ourselves.
We arbitrarily bumped the build number to (100) when we released 9.0.
Timestamp are the unique identifiers, but now that the rate of builds has slowed down to something reasonable (since the new 9.x vm was in development for nearly 5 years and changes were being made multiple times a day), we'll start using the build number (or really build id) when we do releases.
It's not automated at the moment so (100) should have been bumped to something more like (104), so you should expect the timestamp and this 'build id' to change for 9.2

-- Seth

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 8:46:40 AM UTC-4, Norbert Schlemmer wrote:
Hi Seth,
well done! I have the fixpack tested with our application and for both platforms, x86 and x64.

(System imageVersion printStringRadix: 16 showRadix: false) -> '910'
System vmVersion -> '4.0, 10/01/18 (100)'

the version of the image has not been changed, the VM version has a changed timestamp. What means the "4.0" at the beginning?

Regards, Norbert

Re: VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

Noschvie
Hello Seth

(System imageVersion printStringRadix: 16 showRadix: false) -> '910'
System vmVersion -> '4.0, 10/01/18 (100)'

 it's a problem for our application and us, that the number of the fixpack is not part of the "System imageVersion", because:
.) internal issue tracking uses (of course) VA 9.1.1. The VA code is different to VA 9.1.0
.) to use VA 9.1.1 with our application as released version for production systems, we have to communicate, that Smalltalk version VA 9.1.1 is used
.) "System imageVersion" (well formated) is part of applications "About" window, but shows "Smalltalk version: 9.1.0" -> not ok from customers view
Refer to comment of EmSystemConfiguration>>#imageVersion

Would it be possible to get a fix for that? I assume that is is part of a DLL, isn't it?

What do you mean?

Thanks
Norbert

Re: VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

Seth Berman
Hello Norbert,

Sure, we can fix this up though it’s too risky to do a complete rebuild and too much energy diverted to do patch level testing all over again.
The existing binaries from the patch can have this version number mod patched in.  Then i will binary diff it and make sure just that and the checksum was updated...and of course launch the product and ensure the change is reflected.
This is an awkward week because of US holidays but I’ll try and fit it in.  If not it will have to be next week.
Does this work for you?

Re: VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

Noschvie
Hello Seth
sounds great! End of next week is OK.
Thanks
Norbert

Re: VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

jtuchel
I am surely late to the game, but looking into the install scripts for the fixpack I see that the fixpack installs a new esvm40 and abtprc91.so. I do have the abtprc91.so already because we found this bug together, but I wonder how to install the fixpack in a server runtime?

Re: VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

Bob Brodd
Hi Joachim,

The fixpack is focused on updating a development installation, so it does not provide an automatic way of updating a runtime.  For now, you can download the fixpack and hand copy the updated files from the Files folder included in the fixpack.  You will want to look in the appropriate subfolder of Files (either Linux_x86 or Linux_x64), and then in the bin folder.  There you will find the updated binary files  associated with this fixpack.

Perhaps we should include an updated SRT with future fixpacks if there are changes that effect any of the SRT files.

Thanks,
Bob

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 9:03:03 AM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
I am surely late to the game, but looking into the install scripts for the fixpack I see that the fixpack installs a new esvm40 and abtprc91.so. I do have the abtprc91.so already because we found this bug together, but I wonder how to install the fixpack in a server runtime?

Re: VA Smalltalk 9.1.1 Fixpack now available...

jtuchel
Thanks Bob,

A fixpack installer for the SRT would be good. OTOH, the SRT installation usually just consits of unpacking and moving the contents of the zip someplace. Maybe it is easier to just provide an updated SRT instead of a fixpack?

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 27. November 2018 16:44:04 UTC+1 schrieb Bob Brodd:
[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck-2

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 7:50 AM Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Bob,

A fixpack installer for the SRT would be good. OTOH, the SRT installation usually just consits of unpacking and moving the contents of the zip someplace. Maybe it is easier to just provide an updated SRT instead of a fixpack?

Hi Joachim,

Maybe it was not clear. He was proposing to do both. We would be updating a new version of server runtime into the website (say "9.1.1") but also providing that very same zip into the zip of fixpack. That way:

1) You don't have to go to the website, look for new SL, download it ,etc...you  have it right there in the fixpack zip
2) If it is there, it means that whatever changes for the fixpack required changes in the SL (note that this is quite unfrequent)

Does it make sense?

Best,

[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.