VA Smalltalk Environments

SebastianHC
Hi all!

I have created dev images on one computer and would like to move them to
another one.
How do/can I add those existing dev image folder to an Environments list
of availabe images?

Environments do not recognize those added source folders nor does it
accept the name of existing folders...

Is my only option to create new folders and overwrite the content with
the dev images I would like to move to this machine?

Thanks!
Sebastian

Re: VA Smalltalk Environments

Bob Brodd
Hi Sebastian,

Yes, creating and overwriting a new environment folder is the only to make an existing environment available on a new machine.  We have a solution to this issue on our todo list for Environments.

Thanks,
Bob

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:27:49 AM UTC-5, Sebastian Heidbrink wrote:
Hi all!

I have created dev images on one computer and would like to move them to
another one.
How do/can I add those existing dev image folder to an Environments list
of availabe images?

Environments do not recognize those added source folders nor does it
accept the name of existing folders...

Is my only option to create new folders and overwrite the content with
the dev images I would like to move to this machine?

Thanks!
Sebastian

Re: VA Smalltalk Environments

SebastianHC
Hi Bob,

thank you very much for the fast reply.

Sebastian

Am 05.12.2013 13:23, schrieb Bob Brodd:
[...]

jtuchel
Hi Sebastian,

that's an interesting problem and I'd be interested in your experiences with this. Would you mind sharing what exactly you do to "import" an environment somewhere - a blog or here?

Joachim

Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2013 22:41:06 UTC+1 schrieb Sebastian Heidbrink:
[...]

Hi Joachim,

Ohhh it is much molre simple thatn you might think.
I was on a business travel in Europe and evaluated VAST 8.6 on my travel laptop.
Now I installed it here on my office and wanted to add those already existing development images to the VASmalltalk environments on my office workstation.

I copied them into my dev folder and they did not appear in the list of existing images nor was I able to add them by just creating a new image with the same name. VASmalltalk Environments check for the existency of a folder with the name name and block the creation...

Nothing special and nothing thast should be to difficult to be fixed.

Sebastian

Am 06.12.2013 01:37, schrieb [hidden email]:
[...]

Richard Sargent (again)
I ran into a similar issue when my Windows 7 died and Windows 8 required different user ids. (Thanks, Microsoft! Not!)

So, I took the opportunity to justify playing with the environments configuration. Attached is a very simple application which allows one to:
1) explore the structure of the environments configuration
2) manually adjust the same
3) discover previously unknown environment directories
4) write out an updated environment configuration, optionally backing up the original

There are a couple of example methods on the application class to get you started.

Have fun. The code is released under the MIT license. Feel free to do anything with it you please.

Bear in mind, it is simplistic and makes a number of simplifying assumptions. It worked for me, but there may be scenarios I didn't encounter.

RjsVASmalltalkEnvironmentsApp.zip (8K) Download Attachment