VA Smalltalk Trial Version

horrido
I have a question about the trial version of VA Smalltalk. Is it free to use indefinitely? Are there any restrictions other than that you may not use it for commercial applications?

Thanks.

Re: VA Smalltalk Trial Version

Seth Berman
Hi Richard,

I believe Mariano posted the information you need in response to your query in the Pharo smalltalk users group
http://forum.world.st/Resources-Page-tp5110828p5110846.html

To answer your specific question about the trial version, it is not intended to be used indefinitely.
It is allowed to be used for 45-days and its intention is for customers evaluating our commercial services or needing to do migrations.
We give them an opportunity to try the product first to make sure it meets their needs.
https://www.instantiations.com/products/license-agreement.html

We're a commercial business, not an open-source community, however we do invest heavily with our company resources for the betterment of the Smalltalk community.
We primarily do this monetarily via platinum sponsorships to ESUG, FAST and subsidizing the Camp Smaltalks that we put organize or sponsor other camp Smalltalks.

When it comes to the fruits of our company labor..which is primarily the VAST Platform, we also share that with others by
- Donating academic licenses to professors and students. https://www.instantiations.com/products/academic-license-program.html
- Donating open-source licenses to various interested folks for technical workshops and those that, themselves, invest in the community. https://www.instantiations.com/company/open-source.html
- We feel strongly in investing in those that invest back.

Its a good point of clarification you bring up, and I hope this helps you and others

Kind Regards,

- Seth