VA Smalltalk binding for Chromium embedded. Is this doable?

VA Smalltalk binding for Chromium embedded. Is this doable?

Jan van de Sandt
Hello list,

Chromium enbedded [1] is an open source library/framework for embedding the Chromium browser inside a windows application. I think functionality like this is very interesting for existing VA Smalltalk client applications. With the embedded browser you can easely display HTML content. You could use the new HTML5 functionality to show fancy graphics and animations. And you could even show Flash movies inside your Smalltalk app.

I have some experience with PlatformFunctions in VA. But the Chromium-embedded API looks quite complex and I am not sure if it's doable from VA Smalltalk. The "default" API uses C++. There is a C-API that is derived from the C++ API but the C-API is poorly documented. The C-API also uses a lot of callbacks.

Does anyone have experience interfacing with a C++ library? Is this possible from VA Smalltalk?

Regards,
Jan van de Sandt.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

Re: VA Smalltalk binding for Chromium embedded. Is this doable?

Marten Feldtmann-2
Why not using Active-X oriented controls ???

Marten

Re: VA Smalltalk binding for Chromium embedded. Is this doable?

Jan van de Sandt
Hi Marten,

Yes that's also a possibility. I guess I can embed the installed IE browser in a VA Smalltalk client application using Active-X. Not as advanced as Chromium but definitely much simpler to get working.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Jan.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Marten Feldtmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why not using Active-X oriented controls ???

Marten

Re: VA Smalltalk binding for Chromium embedded. Is this doable?

Shane Holloway
Jan,
I created a commercial product targeted directly at embedding modern HTML5 platform capable webkit-based browsers in desktop applications.  The majority of my career has been focused on creating desktop applications, and I've found that HTML5-based UIs are less expensive to create and more powerful than ones created using the traditional desktop toolkits.

We did in fact wrap Google Chrome Frame as an Active-X control on Windows, and the WebKit framework on Mac OSX.  Linux is not addressed yet, as we've seen little customer demand so far.  Because we re-use other libraries, the download size is much smaller than Chromium Embedded — less than 1MB versus 50MB for CEF.

We are still creating language bindings for popular web languages like Node, Ruby, and Python, but the C bindings are available, stable, tested, and deployed for my closed beta customers.

If you are interested, you can find it at http://bellite.io — it is in open beta while we are finishing language bindings and broadening our customer base to flush out more aspects of the library.  I welcome feedback on the C api and any ways we can make integration easier.

Thanks!
-Shane

Re: VA Smalltalk binding for Chromium embedded. Is this doable?

Edmilson Bringel
Hi Shane,

Is this project updated? Where can I find more about it?

Thanks!

On Saturday, September 1, 2012 at 1:33:53 PM UTC-3, Shane Holloway wrote:
[...]

If you are interested, you can find it at <a href="http://bellite.io" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fbellite.io\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGdLI9sU56R7mYdMothDkHSmQPLYA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fbellite.io\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGdLI9sU56R7mYdMothDkHSmQPLYA&#39;;return true;">http://bellite.io — it is in open beta while we are finishing language bindings and broadening our customer base to flush out more aspects of the library.  I welcome feedback on the C api and any ways we can make integration easier.

Thanks!
-Shane

Re: VA Smalltalk binding for Chromium embedded. Is this doable?

Edmilson Bringel
Hello everyone, Did any of you advance on this subject? If so, could you pass me some guideline? I've been using IE via OLE but it's very outdated.

Thanks!

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 9:50:28 AM UTC-3, Jan van de Sandt wrote:
[...]

[1] <a href="http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/&#39;;return true;">http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

Re: VA Smalltalk binding for Chromium embedded. Is this doable?

Marten Feldtmann-5
As I say - over the last years again and again :-))): rethink your IT world, build server apps with VASmalltalk to hold your VASmalltalk investment - build the UI with other tools and let VA handle business logic. If you once have done this, the world of Electron, Cordova, PhoneGap is yours.

I think it would be easy for Instantiations to build server-runtimes for MacOSX. You already have Linux, Windows and Raspberry PI. So all platforms (of Election) are reachable.

Re: VA Smalltalk binding for Chromium embedded. Is this doable?

Shane Holloway
Chromium embedded worked. And then the Chrome project discontinued it in 2013.

Best of luck!
- Shane