VA Smalltalk runtime lingers after app shuts down

VA Smalltalk runtime lingers after app shuts down

Dusty-2
Hi all

I've been porting an old IBM VAST 5.5 app into VA Smalltalk 8.5.
The one big problem I'm having is when I create a runtime, then run the app (complete with visual console of my own making) and then tell my app to exit, the image closes (Along with my visual console) but the .exe (vm) lingers.
Process Explorer on windows seems to think its waiting for user input...
Any ideas on how to properly shut down a runtime image?

Many Thanks
Dusty

Re: VA Smalltalk runtime lingers after app shuts down

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Dusty,

I use the following, the test is so the development environment doesn't stop if you go through the code.

System isRuntime ifTrue: [System exit].

Lou

On Friday, June 22, 2012 9:10:53 AM UTC-4, Dusty wrote:
[...]

Hi Lou

Thanks for the advice. Without the test, sure, it works in the
development environment.
However, in the runtime environment, with or without the test, it does
not exit the vm, also, now the graphical widget doesn't close either.
Is there some conflict with the AbtVisualPartsApp set of classes?
Really weird that it doesn't work...

Thanks and Regards
Dusty

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Louis LaBrunda
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dusty,
>
> I use the following, the test is so the development environment doesn't stop
> if you go through the code.
>
> System isRuntime ifTrue: [System exit].
>
> Lou
>

> On Friday, June 22, 2012 9:10:53 AM UTC-4, Dusty wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've been porting an old IBM VAST 5.5 app into VA Smalltalk 8.5.
>> The one big problem I'm having is when I create a runtime, then run the
>> app (complete with visual console of my own making) and then tell my app to
>> exit, the image closes (Along with my visual console) but the .exe (vm)
>> lingers.
>> Process Explorer on windows seems to think its waiting for user input...
>> Any ideas on how to properly shut down a runtime image?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Dusty
>

> On Friday, June 22, 2012 9:10:53 AM UTC-4, Dusty wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've been porting an old IBM VAST 5.5 app into VA Smalltalk 8.5.
>> The one big problem I'm having is when I create a runtime, then run the
>> app (complete with visual console of my own making) and then tell my app to
>> exit, the image closes (Along with my visual console) but the .exe (vm)
>> lingers.
>> Process Explorer on windows seems to think its waiting for user input...
>> Any ideas on how to properly shut down a runtime image?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Dusty

> [hidden email].
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk?hl=en.

Re: VA Smalltalk runtime lingers after app shuts down

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Dusty,

There could be a conflict but I would look elsewhere first as I would expect to you would see a problem before you get to the point of exiting the program.  It could be a packaging problem but again I would expect to see trouble before exiting.  I would check to see that you have the correct VM and especially all the right DLLs.

If that is not the cause of the problem, check to see if your code is doing anything with the OS.  If so, there may be a problem with the clean up on exit.  If for some reason OS resources are not being released properly, the VM may not exit.  It may be waiting for something or on some return that never happens before exiting.

Lou