VA91 - Installation Windows

Marten Feldtmann-5
Hey,

Congratulations to this new release.

I installed it under Linux and it worked quite well:

* First use experience (after installation) can still be optimized. Create a link on the desktop etc ...
* Lots of redraws slows the UI pretty much down - e.g. the tabs in the lower part of my browser seems to be redrawn several times, same can be seen when resizing the window ... but its an improvement !

But under Windows I had no luck to make an installation - the installation holds at the "Manager Destination Folder" Dialog - even though it had recognized, that an update from the 9.0 has to be done. I created new directories for a new manager installatin but no luck at all.

Marten

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

Marten Feldtmann-5
I removed all previous installation of VA (9.0, 8.5, 8.6)  under Windows and now the installation was ok

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

Petr Fischer
> Hey,
>
> Congratulations to this new release.
>
> I installed it under Linux and it worked quite well:
>
> * First use experience (after installation) can still be optimized. Create
> a link on the desktop etc ...
> * Lots of redraws slows the UI pretty much down - e.g. the tabs in the
> lower part of my browser seems to be redrawn several times, same can be
> seen when resizing the window ... but its an improvement !

Same here. Window resizing looks like animated, all internal controls are growing in several steps with lot of redraws and flickering.
It's best to notice it when VAST is running  on the remote Linux machine - shown on remote X server.

pf

> But under Windows I had no luck to make an installation - the installation
> holds at the "Manager Destination Folder" Dialog - even though it had
> recognized, that an update from the 9.0 has to be done. I created new
> directories for a new manager installatin but no luck at all.
>
> Marten

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

Seth Berman
Hi All,

A lot of this depends on the distro that you are using.  Petr I think runs CentOS...which i havnt tried just yet.  Marten...what do you run?

I’ll be writing an FAQ on this issues...but any distro using Wayland by default is going to be problematic because their X backend is buggy.  An example is late versions of Fedora.  There is a setting in a gdm conf file to disable Wayland.

I also usually turn off compositing which improves drawing performance.

That’s as specific as I can be since I’m on my phone but if you tell me the distros and versions you use, I can apply these tweaks and be more specific

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

Marten Feldtmann-5
I am using Mint 18.3 (an Ubuntu 16.04.x based distribution).

Marten

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

jtuchel

I cannot confirm this behavior (Xubuntu 16.04)

VAST 9.1 looks a lot nicer than 8.6, but Motif shows its age ...
I miss Scintilla and would like to try the dark theme ( I just read a new study that dark themes help prevent short-sighting...).

Am Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2018 13:14:45 UTC+2 schrieb Petr Fischer:
> Hey,

> Congratulations to this new release.
>
> I installed it under Linux and it worked quite well:
>
> * First use experience (after installation) can still be optimized. Create
> a link on the desktop etc ...
> * Lots of redraws slows the UI pretty much down - e.g. the tabs in the
> lower part of my browser seems to be redrawn several times, same can be
> seen when resizing the window ... but its an improvement !

Same here. Window resizing looks like animated, all internal controls are growing in several steps with lot of redraws and flickering.
It's best to notice it when VAST is running  on the remote Linux machine - shown on remote X server.

pf

> But under Windows I had no luck to make an installation - the installation
> holds at the "Manager Destination Folder" Dialog - even though it had
> recognized, that an update from the 9.0 has to be done. I created new
> directories for a new manager installatin but no luck at all.
>
> Marten

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

jtuchel
Hi

Marten: did you update a 32 or 64 bit installation?

can anybody confirm Marten's installation Problems on Windows? What about upgrading an existing 8.6.3 installation (32 to 32 bits, obviously)?
It's been a long time since installation over an old version caused any troubles fo us...

A clean installation on Windows is working perfectly, that's all I can say so far. Our schedules are too tight at this time to try an upgrade on a "real" development machine...

Joachim

Am Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2018 09:17:58 UTC+2 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
Hey,

Congratulations to this new release.

I installed it under Linux and it worked quite well:

* First use experience (after installation) can still be optimized. Create a link on the desktop etc ...
* Lots of redraws slows the UI pretty much down - e.g. the tabs in the lower part of my browser seems to be redrawn several times, same can be seen when resizing the window ... but its an improvement !

But under Windows I had no luck to make an installation - the installation holds at the "Manager Destination Folder" Dialog - even though it had recognized, that an update from the 9.0 has to be done. I created new directories for a new manager installatin but no luck at all.

Marten

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

jtuchel
Marten,

I guess setting up a starter icon on the desktop is highly dependent on your desktop environment (Gnome, Xfce, Unity, KDE, Mate) and/or distribution...
Creating one on Xfce was easy. But: I'd love to see a gif or jpg shipped with VA that could be used as an icon for it ;-)

This is not a nn issue on Windows, as I guess the icon is in the .exe file. But that#s not the case (I guess not even practical) on Linux.

[...]

My installation of 9.1 (32 bits) on top of VAST 8.6.3 worked like a charme.

Also, the Library importer utility on Linux worked perfectly. I also have no problems accessing even older libraries using the latest emsrv (Linux 32bits) that ships with VAST 9.1.

Question:

An old Environments 8.6.3 icon can still be clicked and starts a version of environments that complains about some errors. If the new Environments is the only version that runs after installation of 9.1, wouldn't t make sense to uninstall the old one?

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

Bob Brodd

It is definitely recommend that you delete the shortcut for the previous version of Environments and go with the 9.1 version .  The 9.0 and 9.1 structure of the installation folder changed a bit and the older Environments knows nothing about these changes, so gets confused.

Also, note that 9.1 is not supposed to be an upgrade 9.0, though there are some cases where something in the registry is making it think it is.  I personally have not experienced this , so have not had an opportunity to diagnose the problem.  As noted in this conversation, un-installing 9.0 prior to installing 9.1 is the workaround for this issue at the moment.

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 11:10:54 AM UTC-4, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
My installation of 9.1 (32 bits) on top of VAST 8.6.3 worked like a charme.

Also, the Library importer utility on Linux worked perfectly. I also have no problems accessing even older libraries using the latest emsrv (Linux 32bits) that ships with VAST 9.1.

Question:

An old Environments 8.6.3 icon can still be clicked and starts a version of environments that complains about some errors. If the new Environments is the only version that runs after installation of 9.1, wouldn't t make sense to uninstall the old one?

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

jtuchel
Bob,

ah, I see. So installing over 9.0 is known not to work?

<a imageanchor="1" href="about:invalid#zClosurez" style="clear: left; margin-bottom: 1em; float: left; margin-right: 1em;">

Here is what I get if I start the 8.6.3 environments. Some comments:

  • Where is the "View Log Button"?
  • Why is there still an entry for the 8.6.3 environments in the Start Menu? Shouldn't all links to the old environments now point to the new one if th eold doesn't worka ny more anyways?
  • It seems I cannot do anything about this, so the text is misleading. Maybe it would be better if it just said "use the latest one, forget about me"

Joachim

Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2018 17:21:19 UTC+2 schrieb Bob Brodd:

[...]

Interesting:

On a Windows 10 machine (the other one was Windows 7), installation also worked well, and I can start both Environments: the one for 8.6 and the one for 9.1...

Joachim

Re: VA91 - Installation Windows

Bob Brodd
So installing over 9.0 is known not to work?
I would say it another way, installing 9.1 ( on Windows) on top of 9.0 has been reported to not work correctly in some cases.  Not sure why at this point

  • Where is the "View Log Button"?
    View Log button is on the main Environment list view ... Pressing the OK button on the error message below should display that 'screen'.
  • Why is there still an entry for the 8.6.3 environments in the Start Menu? Shouldn't all links to the old environments now point to the new one if th eold doesn't worka ny more anyways?
    I think the most I would want to do is remove the 863 shortcut from the desktop.  That leaves the 8.6.3 Environments files in the 8.6.3 installation folder ... possibly handy if a user uninstalls 9.x and 9.x Environments with it.
  • It seems I cannot do anything about this, so the text is misleading. Maybe it would be better if it just said "use the latest one, forget about me"
    Since it is an older Environments, it has no clue what is going on with the 9.x updated installation layout it sees, so it is doing the best it can by reporting that it encountered a release (installation) that it can't figure out.  Going forward, the problem should become less of an issue.   The big changes we made with 9.0+ is to eliminate the upgrade process and have each new release completely isolated from any previous release.  We have moved away from having full releases that use the third number of #.#.#  pattern such as 8.6.1, 8.6.2, etc, .  The third number will now be reserved for fix packs that will typically contain a library and maybe some loose files that need updating, but not a full installer, etc.  All that is to say, the 9.0 and 9.1 Environments will probably not have an issue with newer installations unless we have to make further adjustments in the future.
Thanks! Bob

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 1:04:02 PM UTC-4, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
[...]

Long Haired David
I have the same problem. It gets to the point where it either wants to install the manager or is asking where to find the manager to upgrade. At either of these points, the next button doesn't work so I can't continue.

David
Totally Objects

(Windows 10 - Upgrading, hopefully from 9.0 64 bit to 9.1.

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 8:17:58 AM UTC+1, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Hey,

Congratulations to this new release.

I installed it under Linux and it worked quite well:

* First use experience (after installation) can still be optimized. Create a link on the desktop etc ...
* Lots of redraws slows the UI pretty much down - e.g. the tabs in the lower part of my browser seems to be redrawn several times, same can be seen when resizing the window ... but its an improvement !

But under Windows I had no luck to make an installation - the installation holds at the "Manager Destination Folder" Dialog - even though it had recognized, that an update from the 9.0 has to be done. I created new directories for a new manager installatin but no luck at all.

Marten

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989