VARCHAR field lengths in Access database

VARCHAR field lengths in Access database

Bill Schwab-2
Hello all,

When analyzing an Access 97 database, #describeCols: is giving me DBColAttr
instances that (perhaps only by coincidence) answer twice the expected value
for #length, with #precision containing the length of the field.  Any ideas?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: VARCHAR field lengths in Access database

Stefan Schmiedl
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:15:04 -0500,
Bill Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> When analyzing an Access 97 database, #describeCols: is giving me DBColAttr
> instances that (perhaps only by coincidence) answer twice the expected value
> for #length, with #precision containing the length of the field.  Any ideas?

This smells like Unicode to me.
2*n bytes of storage for n characters.

Can you take a peek at the raw contents of such a field?

s.
--
Stefan Schmiedl
Approximity GmbH                                      http://www.approximity.com