VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

jtuchel
Hi there,

I haven't been using VAST (client) on Linux for a while, but it's about time I start packaging a headless image for Linux. I thought the easiest way to do so is to install Linux in a VM and package on Linux. Therefor I installed openSuse 12.1 on a VM and also installed VAST 8.5 client on it. OpenSuse is quite popular here in gernany if you want to rent a Linux server - dedicated or virtual - and I'm using it for many years now.

At first, all seemed good: I could load code from the existing library on our Linux server. But the double started pretty soon:

After a few Config maps loaded, I did a right click in the config map browser and the complete KDE desktop was frozen. The popup menu showed up and I couldn't click on anything on the Desktiop any more. The only thing that helped was rebooting my VM. This is absolutely reproducible, I tried several times.

Another problem is that VAST doesn't accept any keyboard input. I can type in editors and web browsers, Libre Office and what not, but VAST doesn't accept any input. I tried with both my Logitech and Apple keyboard (since there is some other problem with the logitech that I Posted about on my blog): both are completely ignored.

So, does anybody have an idea what I could do to make VAST behave a little nicer on Linux (openSuse)?

Joachim

dfe

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

dfe
Hi Joachim,

I don't know about the KDE hang, but with regards to keyboard input -- check out Seth's post regarding Ubuntu 11 --  search for:

Ubuntu 11.04 keyboard workaround

Sorry -- don't know how to link to it yet on this forum.

Regards,

Diane

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

jtuchel
Diane,

thanks a lot. I'll find it. I have no idea how to link to another post either.

Joachim

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

John O'Keefe-3
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/3-jt-1ms2RU

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

jtuchel
Okay, just to avoid mixing too much stuff into that other thread:

Interesting. So it seems many "old" X Appliocations need XKeysymDB to get keyboard input. But it also seems "newer" ones use a completely different way of determining what's being typed.

Another interesting fact about openSuse 12.1:

xxx@mymachine:~> echo $XKEYSYMDB
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB

But the file is in fact not in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/

So now my question is: in another thread Marten mentions that the XKeysymDB that Seth posted in the first of the other threads ;-))) didn't help with Umlauts.
So where did Seth get that file from? Where would I look for other extended XKeysymDB files?

These are two questions I'd like not only to get answered, but also answered in the Installation Guide.
I guess Linux at least as a packaging and deployment platform is getting more and more important for Seasiders...

Joachim

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

jtuchel
Hi,

I found a reference to XKeysymDB in the openSuse support database. The thread is mostly about installation problems for Maple V, but an interesting bit of information is this:

The xmaple program relies on the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB for keyboard input. This file has been removed from the version of X.org that comes with openSUSE 11.4. It can be downloaded from the libX11 GIT Repository. Without this file xmaple will print warning messages like:

Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:  osfActivate
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:ManagerParentActivate()'

There's also a link to a closed bug report at the x.org site that states the file is not needed any more in X.org.

So to sum things up: the fact that the file is missing on more and more Linux Distros is related to the fact that X.org regards the file as obsolete.
It seems many applications ship their own XKeysymDB, but I am not sure if that's a good thing. What if I use two "old" apps on my Linux desktop, and one of them ships the file without support of Umlauts? Which one should I use, and how can I handle that?

Maybe this whole problem will go away with Instantiations' new Linux GUI framework that will not rely on Motif any more?

Joachim

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

jtuchel
On a side note:

In the old Instantiations forum, there is an article that links here: http://www.instantiations.com/VAST/detail/faq-tech.html
But the file cannot be found. I'd like to take a look at that page, because it seems it covers exactly what I'm looking for:

"For full instructions on how to enter special German characters in VA SMalltalk running on Fedora, Ubuntu and OpenSUSE, see the FAQ
Q: The characters that my language shares with English show up properly, but how can I get my text widgets to show my non-English character input?
on the Instantiations FAQ page"

Is that FAQ still online somewhere?

Joachim

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

Louis Andriese

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

jtuchel
Just to give some first feedback:

Adding the XKeysymDB from x.org to  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ enables keyboard input. But no Umlauts.
I've once had the effect that some wild typing in the Transcript caused VAST to quit without any comment. Haven't reproduced it yet.

Joachim

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

John O'Keefe
Louis -

Thanks for going 'wayback' and finding this FAQ .  I will see that the information is restored to our "new" FAQ.

John

Re: VAST 8.5 on openSuse 12.1: no keyboard input, system freezes

jtuchel
Louis

Thanks for reminding me of the Web Archive. The Info there did in fact help exactly.

I could solve the Keyboard and Umlaut Problems. The Crashes on openSuse and kde remain, but all seems well on Ubuntu 11.1

Joachim