VAST 8.5 ships with older Version of GLORP than 8.0.3???

VAST 8.5 ships with older Version of GLORP than 8.0.3???

jtuchel
Hi,

loading our project code into a new installation of VAST 8.5 brings up an interesting problem: in VAST 8.0.3 we used a (modified by us) version of GLORP 8.0.3 [162]. VAST 8.5 ships with an older Version 8.0.2 [146] of GLORP.

Before I investigate this deeper: Is this an accident or were there bugs in GLORP 8.0.3 [162] that made Instantiations ship the older version (we've had little problems with the 8.0.3 version so far).

Joachim

Re: VAST 8.5 ships with older Version of GLORP than 8.0.3???

John O'Keefe
Joachim -

The latest Glorp version we have in our development manager is 8.0.2 [146], so I'm not sure where an 8.0.3 [162] version would have come from.

John

Re: VAST 8.5 ships with older Version of GLORP than 8.0.3???

jtuchel
John,

strange. In our VAST 8.0.3 Library we only have the following versions of the Config Map GLORP:

8.0.3 [162] + JTU 1
8.0.3 [162]

And there's no version that can be salvaged. So I still am somewhat sure the 8.0.3 [162] version must have been shipped with the product, because otherwise I'd see the 8.0.2 [146] in our Library... The library has never been cloned/compressed...

So I wonder where it should come from? Even if it was from VASTGoodies (where the version names follow  a completely different scheme), there should be an older version of the GLORP map...

I don't have the time to reinstall a fresh VAST 8.0.3 on a clean VM, and loading our 8.0.3 [162] + JTU 1 into the new library is not a big deal, but still there's somethind strange about this. There are a few Applications in the map that also have a version name of 8.0.3 [162], some of which I've never modified. So I guess the version names are not made up by me.....

Scratching My head..

Re: VAST 8.5 ships with older Version of GLORP than 8.0.3???

John O'Keefe
Joachim -

Well, you are right -- there are 8.0.3 [162] maps for Glorp in the shipped manager for V8.0.3, but their timestamps are the same as the 8.0.2 [146] maps in our development manager.  In fact, it appears that all maps that should have had an 8.0.2 [146] version name were instead named 8.0.3 [162].

I have asked our buildmeister to take a look and see if she can figure out what went wrong (and how it corrected itself for 8.5).

John

Re: VAST 8.5 ships with older Version of GLORP than 8.0.3???

jtuchel
John,

thabnks for looking. So it seems there is no functional difference, but still the Config Maps either need to be changed from referring to 8.0.3 [162] to 8.0.2 [146], or the "newer" version needs to be imported into the 8.5 Library.

While both aren't perfect solutions, it's surely not critical. You just need to make a decision.

This brings us to another point: is there any ongoing work on newer GLORP versions for VAST?
The version Instantiations ships is good enough for our project so far, and what we're missing (inheritance with tables for each individual class) is even not in the very latest GLORP version, but still extensions like ActiveRecord and the like are likely to work only on newer versions of GLORP. And, of course, there are bugs which Alan comments with "I think I fixed that in 2006 or so, look at method XXX...".

Joachim

Re: VAST 8.5 ships with older Version of GLORP than 8.0.3???

Thomas Koschate-2
Over the past many months, I've imported the 8.0, 8.0.2, 8.0.3 and 8.5 code bases into my repository using the Importer program, and all I've got is Glorp 8.0.2 V 8.0.2 [146].  Could 8.0.3 have been a renamed version of 8.0.2 and therefore been the same instance as the 8.0.2 map?

Tom

Re: VAST 8.5 ships with older Version of GLORP than 8.0.3???

John O'Keefe-3
Thomas -

Yes, as I mentioned in one of previous posts, the timestamp of the V8.0.2 [146] GLORP maps and the V8.0.3 [162] GLORP maps are the same -- they are exactly the same map with different names. This means that if you merge V8.0.3 code into a V8.0.2 manager, you will see GLORP maps versioned as V8.0.2 [146]; if you merge V8.0.2 code into a V8.0.3 manager you will see the same GLORP maps versioned as V8.0.3 [162] -- which ever one is there first wins..

There was a problem in our build process that caused all maps that should have been versioned as V8.0.2 [146] to be versioned instead as V8.0.3 [162] in the V8.0.3 manager.  This problem was unnoticed during the product build cycle.  Further, it was corrected for V8.5.

John