VAST 8.6 hangs

Carl Gundel-2
I'm running on Windows 7 Professional.  Last night I left VAST running after loading the image and just editing some code, and running some simple utilities that read and parse smalltalk chunk files.  This morning I came in and unlocked my PC to find that my VAST 8.6 development image was hung.  Clicking the button to interrupt execution had no effect.  I had to kill the image and restart.

I have seen a few other situations when the image hung, but this was typically after doing a lot of fancy stuff such as tons of database access and other things.

But hanging after just doing some simple code editing is disturbing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: VAST 8.6 hangs

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:45:37 AM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
I'm running on Windows 7 Professional.  ...  This morning I came in and unlocked my PC to find that my VAST 8.6 development image was hung.  Clicking the button to interrupt execution had no effect.  ...

Any ideas?

I have had no issues with 8.6 like that and I an running a Windows 7 Enterprise. You might try running with the -l (the letter 'ell') option on the command line. Follow it immediately (no space) with the log file name. It is possible that VA has written something to this log when it hangs.

[Just the other day, I was playing around in an area that was best left alone, and this log file allowed me to understand that I had rendered my image unresponsive with some kind of stack overflow (which broke the critical area I was messing with).]

Re: VAST 8.6 hangs

Carl Gundel-2

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:38:46 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
On Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:45:37 AM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
I'm running on Windows 7 Professional.  ...  This morning I came in and unlocked my PC to find that my VAST 8.6 development image was hung.  Clicking the button to interrupt execution had no effect.  ...

Any ideas?

I have had no issues with 8.6 like that and I an running a Windows 7 Enterprise. You might try running with the -l (the letter 'ell') option on the command line. Follow it immediately (no space) with the log file name. It is possible that VA has written something to this log when it hangs.

[Just the other day, I was playing around in an area that was best left alone, and this log file allowed me to understand that I had rendered my image unresponsive with some kind of stack overflow (which broke the critical area I was messing with).]

Thank.  I do use the -l option.  The log file doesn't list anything much except for high level descriptions of some typical development-time errors and breakpoints.  Nothing surprising or out of the ordinary.  It would be nice if the logged items would have a timedatestamp.

Is there verbose mode?

-Carl

Re: VAST 8.6 hangs

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:11:42 PM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
Thank.  I do use the -l option.  The log file doesn't list anything much except for high level descriptions of some typical development-time errors and breakpoints.  Nothing surprising or out of the ordinary.  It would be nice if the logged items would have a timedatestamp.

Is there verbose mode?

Oh well. It was a hope. I know of no verbose mode for -l.

I second the suggestion of timestamps on the logged items.

Re: VAST 8.6 hangs

Carl Gundel-2
I'm not running VisualStudio, but I do have VS 2005, VS .NET Pro 2003 and the SQL Server 2005 apps installed on my machine.  I never start the Visual Studio software and I'm not even sure why it is there.

-Carl

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:45:30 PM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

I've seen this several times - also with older versions. VA does not like (e.g.) a running debugger of VS2010.

Am 28.08.2014 20:45 schrieb "Carl Gundel" <<a onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;" href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="3PwQWWzC-YQJ">basic...@...>:
I'm running on Windows 7 Professional.  Last night I left VAST running after loading the image and just editing some code, and running some simple utilities that read and parse smalltalk chunk files.  This morning I came in and unlocked my PC to find that my VAST 8.6 development image was hung.  Clicking the button to interrupt execution had no effect.  I had to kill the image and restart.

I have seen a few other situations when the image hung, but this was typically after doing a lot of fancy stuff such as tons of database access and other things.

But hanging after just doing some simple code editing is disturbing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: VAST 8.6 hangs

Marten Feldtmann-2
Well my message was, that I had noticed several problems like this while
working with other software.

This seems to be also true, while VA is starting (with its splash
screen) - there I noticed interacting with other VA-written apps.

The result is always the same: the GUI is not responding anymore and
gets gray after some time.

But the best chance to reproduce the problem is debugging a C#
application within the debugger of VS2010, stop the running C#
application within the debugger and then (of course) the debugged
application gets gray but you have also a very good chance, that a
running VA application has problems too ...

Due to this experience I produce servers apps only as headless apps and
not as minimized gui-based apps.

Marten

Am 28.08.2014 23:40, schrieb Carl Gundel:
> I'm not running VisualStudio, but I do have VS 2005, VS .NET Pro 2003
> and the SQL Server 2005 apps installed on my machine.  I never start the
> Visual Studio software and I'm not even sure why it is there.

0xF93E9756.asc (2K) Download Attachment