VAST 9.0, DB2, changed behavior AbtResultTable or Abt*Cursor?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

VAST 9.0, DB2, changed behavior AbtResultTable or Abt*Cursor?

Hermann Ottens
Hi group,

during our migration to VASmalltalk 9.0 we discovered a problem.
Under certain circumstances a query produces an error while the results of another query are still being fetched.
The error is
[SQLSTATE=HY010 - [IBM][CLI Driver] CLI0125E  (... translation of "function sequence error" ...). SQLSTATE=HY010 [Native Error=-99999]]

I managed to distill the error from our code so that i can provide a script that produces this error.
I cross-checked the script to make sure that it's running fine on 8.5.2 and 8.6.2 (and i also tested it with DB2 client versions 9.7, 10.1 and 10.5, all with the same result).

I'm using a clean image with the feature "ST: Database, DB2 CLI" loaded.

This is the script:

| conSpec connection sqlTab collTab sqlView collView |
conSpec := AbtDatabaseConnectionSpec
forDbmClass: #AbtIbmCliDatabaseManager
databaseName: '....'.                         "<- fill in database name"
sqlTab := 'SELECT tabname FROM SYSCAT.TABLES'.                "select could be from any non-empty table"
sqlView := 'SELECT viewname FROM SYSCAT.VIEWS WHERE 1=2'.     "select produces no result, only for speed, where-condition can be deleted"
collTab := OrderedCollection new.
collView := OrderedCollection new.
["================================"
| querySpecTab rtTab querySpecView rtView |
connection := conSpec connect.
connection autoCommit: true.
(querySpecTab := AbtQuerySpec new) statement: sqlTab.
(querySpecView := AbtQuerySpec new) statement: sqlView.
rtTab := connection
resultTableWithHoldFromQuerySpec: querySpecTab                  "get outer result table"
withValues: nil
ifError: connection errorBlock.
rtTab do:                                                                       "iterate through result table (fetches row from underlying db cursor)"
[:eachRowUmf | | rowModif |                                             "first iteration runs fine"
collTab add: eachRowUmf asString.                                       "second iteration produces error when the second fetch is executed"
rtView := connection
resultTableWithHoldFromQuerySpec: querySpecView         "get inner result table"
rowModif := rtView next.                                                "fetch one row (if present)"
rtView close.                                                           "close inner result table"
collView add: rowModif asString].
"================================"]
ensure: [connection disconnect].
Array
with: (collTab isEmpty ifTrue: [nil] ifFalse: [collTab first])
with: (collView isEmpty ifTrue: [nil] ifFalse: [collView first]).

Has anyone encountered the same error and knows what to do?
If i delete the "autoCommit: true", then the script runs successfully. (Alas this is not possible in the production code.)
(BTW: this problem doesn't occur when connecting to an Oracle database.)

Cheers,
Hermann

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: VAST 9.0, DB2, changed behavior AbtResultTable or Abt*Cursor?

jtuchel
Hermann,

I cannot really help with your specific problem. But we see HY010 in 8.6.3 and cannot explain as well. We're on 8.6.3 because 9.0 is not available on Linux yet. We use DB2 10.5 on 64 bits Ubuntu.
I can't remember seeing HY010 that often on 8.6.

We use Glorp and no hand written SQL, we also do not create query specs ourselves. The Function Sequence Error seems to show up in all kinds of places, seems random.

Joachim

Am Montag, 30. Oktober 2017 17:40:01 UTC+1 schrieb Hermann Ottens:
Hi group,

Under certain circumstances a query produces an error while the results of another query are still being fetched.
The error is
[SQLSTATE=HY010 - [IBM][CLI Driver] CLI0125E  (... translation of "function sequence error" ...). SQLSTATE=HY010 [Native Error=-99999]]

I managed to distill the error from our code so that i can provide a script that produces this error.
I cross-checked the script to make sure that it's running fine on 8.5.2 and 8.6.2 (and i also tested it with DB2 client versions 9.7, 10.1 and 10.5, all with the same result).

This is the script:

sqlTab := 'SELECT tabname FROM SYSCAT.TABLES'.                "select could be from any non-empty table"
sqlView := 'SELECT viewname FROM SYSCAT.VIEWS WHERE 1=2'.     "select produces no result, only for speed, where-condition can be deleted"
resultTableWithHoldFromQuerySpec: querySpecTab                  "get outer result table"
rtTab do:                                                                       "iterate through result table (fetches row from underlying db cursor)"
[:eachRowUmf | | rowModif |                                             "first iteration runs fine"
collTab add: eachRowUmf asString.                                       "second iteration produces error when the second fetch is executed"
resultTableWithHoldFromQuerySpec: querySpecView         "get inner result table"
rowModif := rtView next.                                                "fetch one row (if present)"
rtView close.                                                           "close inner result table"
Array

If i delete the "autoCommit: true", then the script runs successfully. (Alas this is not possible in the production code.)

Cheers,
Hermann

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
Reply | Threaded
|

Bob Brodd
In reply to this post by Hermann Ottens
Hi Hermann,

I have opened up case #62915 to address this issue.  I added your email address as the correspondent for the case.  Thanks for sending this example !

Bob Brodd

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 12:40:01 PM UTC-4, Hermann Ottens wrote:
Hi group,

The error is

This is the script:

Array

Cheers,
Hermann

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Hermann Ottens
Hello Bob,

thank you for your fix.
It works!
(Just took me some time to evaluate, because i encountered an error due to an overridden (by ourselves) method.)

Cheers,
Hermann

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Hermann Ottens
In reply to this post by jtuchel
Hello Joachim,

neither do we encounter HY010 very often.
(We normally don't use plain SQL (only where inevitable e.g. database migration),
the above script is only a distillation of what our framework does, so that one can start it with an empty image and an empty database.)
As soon as i figure out any regularity i shall post it here.

Cheers,
Hermann

--