[VAST] Character Encodings in JQAjax>>#serializeForm

[VAST] Character Encodings in JQAjax>>#serializeForm

Joachim Tuchel-2
  Hi,

I have a problem with Seaside on VAST that I guess is pretty
VAST-specific. It is related to Character-Encodings/Charsets and jQuery
Callbacks. VAST is not (yet) a full utf-8 platform, so we use
iso-8859-15 as charset for form data. All is fine with normal callbacks
and stuff, we can move Euro-signs and Umlauts back and forth between
server and browser without any problem.

Unfortunately, when it comes to JQAjax>>#serializeForm, it seems the
jQuery stuff encodes our special characters to utf-8. I can see that
Firebug sends two characters for every Umlaut up to the server.

So I need a way to tell the machinery below serializeForm to treat form
data as iso-8859-15.

I have tweaked WAScriptGenerator>>#writeScriptTag:on: in order to set
the charset of Javascripts to 8859-15, but to no avail, because this
only indicates the script is encoded in that charset.
Also, (html jQuery ajax scriptCharset: 'iso-8859-15') serializeForm does
not do the trick.

So I'd be grateful for any pointers to how to make serializeForm treat
my form data as something else than utf-8.

Thanks for reading

Joachim

Re: [VAST] Character Encodings in JQAjax>>#serializeForm

Lukas Renggli
Hi Joachim,

Could this be related to
<http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.

Lukas

On Friday, September 17, 2010, Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I have a problem with Seaside on VAST that I guess is pretty VAST-specific. It is related to Character-Encodings/Charsets and jQuery Callbacks. VAST is not (yet) a full utf-8 platform, so we use iso-8859-15 as charset for form data. All is fine with normal callbacks and stuff, we can move Euro-signs and Umlauts back and forth between server and browser without any problem.
>
> Unfortunately, when it comes to JQAjax>>#serializeForm, it seems the jQuery stuff encodes our special characters to utf-8. I can see that Firebug sends two characters for every Umlaut up to the server.
>
> So I need a way to tell the machinery below serializeForm to treat form data as iso-8859-15.
>
> I have tweaked WAScriptGenerator>>#writeScriptTag:on: in order to set the charset of Javascripts to 8859-15, but to no avail, because this only indicates the script is encoded in that charset.
> Also, (html jQuery ajax scriptCharset: 'iso-8859-15') serializeForm does not do the trick.
>
> So I'd be grateful for any pointers to how to make serializeForm treat my form data as something else than utf-8.
>
> Thanks for reading
>
> Joachim

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [VAST] Character Encodings in JQAjax>>#serializeForm

Philippe Marschall
2010/9/17 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> Could this be related to
> <http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
> was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.

To me it looks more like jQuery always uses utf-8 in serialize() [1].
It doesn't look like there's much you can do about it. You might want
to to post in their forums. It looks like your only option is to add a
bastard processing step that detects this and converts from utf-8 to
Latin 9.

 [1] http://api.jquery.com/serialize/

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Configuration page

William Stewart-4
I've been confidence testing uploading a simple-anchor image onto the seaside server.
So far ....ok....ish. I have redirected another domain name so I can now access it as www.gamechild.org/simple-anchor.
But suppose I want www.gamechild.org to point straight to the app?
There are some instructions on what to do on the 'configuration page'.
My problem is that I can't find the said configuration page!!
Maybe I can't see for looking ....
Can someone tell me what I am missing please -thanks.
Bill Stewart

2010/9/17 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> Could this be related to
> <http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
> was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.

To me it looks more like jQuery always uses utf-8 in serialize() [1].
It doesn't look like there's much you can do about it. You might want
to to post in their forums. It looks like your only option is to add a
bastard processing step that detects this and converts from utf-8 to
Latin 9.

[1] http://api.jquery.com/serialize/

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Configuration page

Bob Arning
IIUC, what you want to do is configure your app as the default
- go to yourServer/config
- click on your app in the column at the left
- click the "Set Default" button at the top of the page
- now now if you use a like like http://yourServer, it will go directly to your app

Was that the question?

Cheers,
Bob

On 9/18/10 1:24 PM, William Stewart wrote:
I've been confidence testing uploading a simple-anchor image onto the seaside server.
So far ....ok....ish. I have redirected another domain name so I can now access it as www.gamechild.org/simple-anchor.
But suppose I want www.gamechild.org to point straight to the app?
There are some instructions on what to do on the 'configuration page'.
My problem is that I can't find the said configuration page!!
Maybe I can't see for looking ....
Can someone tell me what I am missing please -thanks.
Bill Stewart

2010/9/17 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> Could this be related to
> <http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
> was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.

To me it looks more like jQuery always uses utf-8 in serialize() [1].
It doesn't look like there's much you can do about it. You might want
to to post in their forums. It looks like your only option is to add a
bastard processing step that detects this and converts from utf-8 to
Latin 9.

[1] http://api.jquery.com/serialize/

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Configuration page

William Stewart-4
I don't think so!

2010/9/17 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> Could this be related to
> <http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
> was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.

To me it looks more like jQuery always uses utf-8 in serialize() [1].
It doesn't look like there's much you can do about it. You might want
to to post in their forums. It looks like your only option is to add a
bastard processing step that detects this and converts from utf-8 to
Latin 9.

[1] http://api.jquery.com/serialize/

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Configuration page

John McKeon
Try youraccount.seasidehosting.st/config or youraccount.seasidehosting.st/browse

I don't think so!

2010/9/17 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> Could this be related to
> <http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
> was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.

To me it looks more like jQuery always uses utf-8 in serialize() [1].
It doesn't look like there's much you can do about it. You might want
to to post in their forums. It looks like your only option is to add a
bastard processing step that detects this and converts from utf-8 to
Latin 9.

[1] http://api.jquery.com/serialize/

Cheers
Philippe

http://john-mckeon.us

Re: Configuration page

William Stewart-4
Thanks- I've found the config but now I'm struggling with how to make my application the main entry point as instructed in the seaside book.

Try youraccount.seasidehosting.st/config or youraccount.seasidehosting.st/browse

I don't think so!

2010/9/17 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> Could this be related to
> <http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
> was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.

To me it looks more like jQuery always uses utf-8 in serialize() [1].
It doesn't look like there's much you can do about it. You might want
to to post in their forums. It looks like your only option is to add a
bastard processing step that detects this and converts from utf-8 to
Latin 9.

[1] http://api.jquery.com/serialize/

Cheers
Philippe

http://john-mckeon.us

Re: Configuration page

William Stewart-4
OKay - I have sorted it all now -thanks.

Thanks- I've found the config but now I'm struggling with how to make my application the main entry point as instructed in the seaside book.

Try youraccount.seasidehosting.st/config or youraccount.seasidehosting.st/browse

I don't think so!

2010/9/17 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> Could this be related to
> <http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
> was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.

To me it looks more like jQuery always uses utf-8 in serialize() [1].
It doesn't look like there's much you can do about it. You might want
to to post in their forums. It looks like your only option is to add a
bastard processing step that detects this and converts from utf-8 to
Latin 9.

[1] http://api.jquery.com/serialize/

Cheers
Philippe

http://john-mckeon.us

Re: [VAST] Character Encodings in JQAjax>>#serializeForm

Joachim Tuchel-2

Hi Lukas,

I guess not. I suspect I would have all kinds of problems if it was related to a '+'. But I need to first get awake after ESUG and think of ways to find out.

BTW: The question of how to port individual fixes over to VAST is still uncovered and we need to work on it. I plan on looking into this when John comes up with the initial port of 3.0 GA.

Joachim

Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> hat am 17. September 2010 um 18:43 geschrieben:

> Hi Joachim,
>
> Could this be related to
> <http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
> was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.
>
> Lukas

Re: [VAST] Character Encodings in JQAjax>>#serializeForm

Joachim Tuchel-2

Hi Philippe,

I was afraid of this answer, especially the "you cannot do much about it" part ;-)

So for as long as VAST is not using UTF-8 internally, I can only try to make "all" Seaside-related traffic be de/encoded between UTF-8 and my Smalltalk Image.

If I understand correctly, in Pharo and Squeak this is achieved by using an encoding/decoding web server (WAKomEncoded???) and not by any Seaside-related setting, right?

I wonder if I can find ways to configure SST or the SST-Seaside-Adapter to de/encode all traffic.

I'll try to find out in VAST-land and will post my results here (because I think the guys who possibly know are not (yet) hanging around here...

Thanks for looking at this

Joachim

Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> hat am 17. September 2010 um 19:37 geschrieben:

> 2010/9/17 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi Joachim,
> >
> > Could this be related to
> > <http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=585>? This issue
> > was recently fixed in Pharo and might not have been ported to VA yet.
>
> To me it looks more like jQuery always uses utf-8 in serialize() [1].
> It doesn't look like there's much you can do about it. You might want
> to to post in their forums. It looks like your only option is to add a
> bastard processing step that detects this and converts from utf-8 to
> Latin 9.
>
>  [1] http://api.jquery.com/serialize/
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: [VAST] Character Encodings in JQAjax>>#serializeForm

Julian Fitzell-2
WAKomEncoded is deprecated. It now simply starts a WAComancheAdaptor
with the correct Codec. So I guess what you need is an appropriate
Codec implementation...

Julian

2010/9/20 Joachim Tuchel (Lists) <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Philippe,
>

> I was afraid of this answer, especially the "you cannot do much about it"
> part ;-)
>

> So for as long as VAST is not using UTF-8 internally,

The internal representation of objects is irrelevant.

> I can only try to make
> "all" Seaside-related traffic be de/encoded between UTF-8 and my Smalltalk
> Image.

Yes, that's probably the best way to go.

> If I understand correctly, in Pharo and Squeak this is achieved by using an
> encoding/decoding web server (WAKomEncoded???) and not by any
> Seaside-related setting, right?
>
> I wonder if I can find ways to configure SST or the SST-Seaside-Adapter to
> de/encode all traffic.

See Julian's answer.

> I'll try to find out in VAST-land and will post my results here (because I
> think the guys who possibly know are not (yet) hanging around here...
>
> Thanks for looking at this

Cheers
Philippe