VAST Repositories > 2 GB on Linux

Hermann Ottens
Hi group,

does anybody have any experiences with using large repositories on a Linux server?
We're currently using emsrv on Windows. Repository size is around 8 GB.
Now we're trying to move our repository to Linux, but every time i try to connect to our repository the client keeps on telling me:
"...
1) error accessing <repository filename>. OS error 75
2) UndefinedObject dnu isOpen
..."
If i try to connect to another repository of only ~800 MB size, everything is fine.
Our Linux Server is a 64-bit machine running SLES 11, file system is ext3 with block size 1024 byte (=> file size limit = 16 GB).
The error occurs regardless of the type of access (tried Windows client via network, Linux client via network, Linux client local file I/O).
Setting OpenReadOnly=true in the abt.ini doesn't change the behaviour, error still occurs.
File access should be possible (rwxrwxrwx set).
So i think it's a server problem.
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Hermann

Re: VAST Repositories > 2 GB on Linux

John O'Keefe-3

Hermann -

EMSRV on Linux uses the ext2 file system (which supports only 2GB).

Re: VAST Repositories > 2 GB on Linux

Hermann Ottens
Hi John,

thank you four your answer. (After your hint i actually found it in the documentation, so it's my fault.)
Do you have any information about whether this is going to be changed?

Hermann

Am Mittwoch, 29. Februar 2012 18:27:07 UTC+1 schrieb John O'Keefe:

Hermann -

EMSRV on Linux uses the ext2 file system (which supports only 2GB).

Re: VAST Repositories > 2 GB on Linux

jtuchel
Hi John,

Linux distros move on to newer file systems, ext4 or mid-term btrfs.
So I guess it's a good idea to look for omplementation options that are independent of the filesystem...

Joachim

Re: VAST Repositories > 2 GB on Linux

SebastianHC
Hi Hermann,

8GB is very large. Do you really need every single method edition in it?

I clone my manager.dats after every VAST major release.
Cloning a manager.dat (building a new one) get rid of never ever unreleased/unversioned code.

This should shrink your manager.dat quite much.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Re: VAST Repositories > 2 GB on Linux

jtuchel
IHi Sebastian,

that's what my first thought was as well: 8 gb sounds like a whole lotta stuff, and maybe much more than just Smalltalk code. So if that's all Code, then I guess cloning / compressing will reduce it down to less than a gig or so (just an estimation).

But what if
* A porject wants to keep all code editions ?
* envy keeps stuff in user fields ?

Compressing is not an option or doesn't help much in these scenarios.

And I think Instantiations should prepare for the day when Linux distros don't ship with ext2fs any more. Sure, it will be available as downloadable package for quite a while, but it will eventually be unsupported on commercially supported distros in a year or maybe three. So it sure is worth looking into how hard a requirement ext2fs is for emsrv. If it's full of API specific to a certain file system, this can be hard. But since emsrv runs on many platforms, I guess that's not the case. It's probably more a question of testing and support, which also is not an easy question.

Joachim

Am Donnerstag, 1. März 2012 15:28:29 UTC+1 schrieb Sebastian Heidbrink:
[...]

Hi again,

right you are. 8GB is quite a lot. (That's the reason, why we want to start a new repository.)
The new repository is already prepared and work is possible with it.
But our guide line is that we don't throw away old repositories, we simply rename them into "archive_..." and set them to read-only.
So when anybody needs something in the new repository he can still look it up in the archives (and if necessery import config maps or applications into the new repo).
It would already be ok, if it was possible to read from an 8GB repo on Linux, but ... <return to top>
BTW, my colleages and i have learned to value the possibility to see your whole history (well, the last ... i think 8 years) in one place.
(Perhaps this is the right moment to give praises to Instantiations, ENVY is faaaiiiirly solid, never had any problems.)

Cheers,
Hermann