VAST Seaside Challenge

Nevin Pratt
I think it is important that the Seaside community be aware of this.  Eric Clayberg posted the following in the VAST newsgroup:

Seaside is a framework for developing sophisticated web applications in
Smalltalk.

    http://seaside.st/

Many folks consider it to be the killer app for Smalltalk, much like Ruby on
Rails is for Ruby.

Currently, Seaside is available for Squeak and VisualWorks. It has not been
ported to other dialects such as VAST. We would like to see it ported to
VAST. To that end, we are issuing a challenge to the VAST user community to
port Seaside to VAST. To make it worth your while, we are offering a reward
of a full license to VAST and all of our add-on products (a $9,595 value) to
the first *five* people who successfully and independently port Seaside to
VAST (we want to make sure that anyone who gets it working is rewarded, not
just the first to finish).

The Seaside web site states that "Many Smalltalk VMs do not support the
stack-copying techniques Seaside uses to implement backtracking". According
to the site, this includes VAST. Assuming that this is true, you may need to
be creative and come up with slightly different implementations based on
what VAST can do. The most important criteria is that the public API
surfaced by Seaside works as specified. Tutorial examples should also work
unmodified.

    http://seaside.st/Tutorial/

-Eric Clayberg
 Sr. Vice President of Product Development
 Instantiations, Inc.
 [hidden email]
 http://www.instantiations.com/vast

I responded to his post thus:

Or modify VAST to support the continuations that Seaside requires.  Then it would be a fairly straight-forward port.

Otherwise.... good luck!

Nevin

And his response was then:

Any approach is on the table as long as it works in the end. Modifying the
base in a backward compatible manner is fine with me. We can roll any base
changes into the next maintenance build.

-Eric Clayberg
 Sr. Vice President of Product Development
 Instantiations, Inc.
 [hidden email]
 http://www.instantiations.com/vast

Re: VAST Seaside Challenge

John Pierce-2
> <snip />

> Currently, Seaside is available for Squeak and VisualWorks. It has not been
> ported to other dialects such as VAST. We would like to see it ported to
> VAST. To that end, we are issuing a challenge to the VAST user community to
> port Seaside to VAST. To make it worth your while, we are offering a reward
> of a full license to VAST and all of our add-on products (a $9,595 value) to
> the first *five* people who successfully and independently port Seaside to
> VAST (we want to make sure that anyone who gets it working is rewarded, not
> just the first to finish).

I guess you already have to *own* VAST Smalltalk to even participate
in the challenge, right?

John

> <snip />

progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Re: VAST Seaside Challenge

Nevin Pratt
No, I do not believe you have to own it to participate:

   http://www.instantiations.com/VAST/download.htm

Just as with VW, VA can be downloaded for free for certain limited
non-commercial use (eg, evaluation/education, etc.).

Nevin