VAST Web Services and Seaside

Sanjay Minni-6
I was just going thru the VAST documentation and was trying to understand VAST Web services in relation to Seaside

(I have worked on an application developed with Seaside on Pharo)

Is VAST Web Services something similar / overlapping to Seaside or do they have different purposes.

Thanks
Sanjay

Re: VAST Web Services and Seaside

Mariano Martinez Peck-2

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:00 AM Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was just going thru the VAST documentation and was trying to understand VAST Web services in relation to Seaside

(I have worked on an application developed with Seaside on Pharo)

Is VAST Web Services something similar / overlapping to Seaside or do they have different purposes.

Greetings Sanjay,

VAST Web Services are a completely different set of tools than Seaside. The former is specific to web services (WSDL, SOAP, etc..) while the latter is about Web Development. The only small point in common I see is that somehow both provide a way to provide a service over the "wire". This is because within Seaside, there is a small part which allows you to provide REST services via HTTP (which you can answer JSON or whatever)... So... from that regard, providing a REST service vs Web Service is somehow related/similar.

Have a nice weekend,

Best,

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: VAST Web Services and Seaside

Sanjay Minni-6
Thanks Mariano,

Let me put it this way

which products / libraries should i look at to develop a hosted / web based business application using VAST ?
- Seaside
- any others
I was trying to find some examples in the VAST 9.2 docs

regards
Sanjay

On Monday, 2 December 2019 01:52:43 UTC+5:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:00 AM Sanjay Minni <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="zHmQ3dFsAQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">sanja...@...> wrote:
[...]

Email: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="zHmQ3dFsAQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">mp...@instantiations.com
Twitter: <a href="https://twitter.com/MartinezPeck" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMartinezPeck\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFPV-7Bnc-U6phGEh-VZU0iUtY7vw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMartinezPeck\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFPV-7Bnc-U6phGEh-VZU0iUtY7vw&#39;;return true;">https://twitter.com/MartinezPeck
LinkedIn: <a href="https://www.linkedin.com/in/mariano-mart%C3%ADnez-peck/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fmariano-mart%25C3%25ADnez-peck%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGyJTUAWXPstaw4J3OpFUYRyFAqmw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fmariano-mart%25C3%25ADnez-peck%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGyJTUAWXPstaw4J3OpFUYRyFAqmw&#39;;return true;">www.linkedin.com/in/mariano-martinez-peck
Blog: <a href="https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fmarianopeck.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHAOaIsyMIYgmQWdQZRuKRdD6gBfw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fmarianopeck.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHAOaIsyMIYgmQWdQZRuKRdD6gBfw&#39;;return true;">https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 10:27 PM Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Mariano,

Let me put it this way

which products / libraries should i look at to develop a hosted / web based business application using VAST ?
- Seaside
- any others
I was trying to find some examples in the VAST 9.2 docs

Hi Sanjay,

Yes, I would say Seaside is a good first start. You can combine it with Twitter Bootstrap which is in http://vastgoodies.com/

One comment is that all the #call: and #answer: philosophy of Seaside seems already outdated to today's standards. One of the reasons is that such behavior uses full page requests, which everybody tries to avoid now. So...at the very least, you would want to make your application with AJAX everywhere.

But... if you are starting from scratch, I would use other 3er parties tools build on top of Seaside for that purpose, such a Willow (which even runs on VAST): https://github.com/ba-st/Willow

Finally, there are some examples of Seaside in the docs but those are mostly about how to package VAST to make really small runtime images for production. As for Seaside itself, you have many books around in their website.

Best,

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: VAST Web Services and Seaside

Sanjay Minni-6
Hi Mariano,

how do I get Willow to install and run in VAST
    thanks
---
  •   Sanjay Minni