VAST and pgsqlodbc on Linux

jtuchel
I know I've asked before, but I wonder if anyone has previous experience with using PostrgeSQL on Linux with VAST using ODBC.

Is this adventurous construct production ready?

Of course I would prefer to use a native V3 driver in VAST but since it doesn't exist (yet?), I also wonder if there is anothervstable alternative.

The requirements are not too demanding, we avoid B/CLOB data types or xml/json or object-relational sql extensions in our application anyways. We currently use DB2 and have strange outages from time to time....

Joachim

Re: VAST and pgsqlodbc on Linux

Jan van de Sandt
Hi Joachim,

In Pharo Smalltalk they have a nice "lean-and-mean" PostgreSQL client [1]. It communicates directly with the server through TCP Sockets so no client driver is required. It is actually very little Smalltalk code. It should be pretty easy to port to VA Smalltalk. Except perhaps for the TLS/SSL support, that's probably more tricky.

Regards,
Jan.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 7:29 AM, Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know I've asked before, but I wonder if anyone has previous experience with using PostrgeSQL on Linux with VAST using ODBC.

Is this adventurous construct production ready?

Of course I would prefer to use a native V3 driver in VAST but since it doesn't exist (yet?), I also wonder if there is anothervstable alternative.

The requirements are not too demanding, we avoid B/CLOB data types or xml/json or object-relational sql extensions in our application anyways. We currently use DB2 and have strange outages from time to time....

Joachim

Re: VAST and pgsqlodbc on Linux

dmacq
Joachim,

I have used ODBC to talk to MySQL and it works pretty well. YMMV.

Donald

Re: VAST and pgsqlodbc on Linux

Leonardo Oillataguerre
We use unixodbc and postgresql on an intensive workload server farm and it works pretty well

Re: VAST and pgsqlodbc on Linux

jtuchel
Jan,

that is the V3 driver I was referring to (is P3 the correct name? Then sorry for the confusion). I'd love to use it. Much less moving parts and no infrastructure issues for cross-platform stuff.

I remember Marten talked about attempting to integrate either MySQL or PostgreSQL (don't remember) and he gave up because of the "Upper Layers" of DB drivers in VAST, meaning ABT Parts and Glorp... So I guess it will not be tooo easy... Seems like I should take this option into account .. or wait for Instantiations to do it, as it is on the product roadmap.

So my rationale was: maybe start with ODBC for "a few months" and switch to a native driver as soon as VAST ships with one.
But ODBC on Linux sounds a bit like a bunch of layers stacked on anothe bunch of Layers, Layers all the way down, so it scares me... ;-)

Joachim

[1] <a href="https://pharo.org/news/ann-p3" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fpharo.org%2Fnews%2Fann-p3\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEkDSmgf_BKUd944x5WuqwOCCQU-A&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fpharo.org%2Fnews%2Fann-p3\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEkDSmgf_BKUd944x5WuqwOCCQU-A&#39;;return true;">https://pharo.org/news/ann-p3

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 7:29 AM, Joachim Tuchel <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="CJUs9B4fCQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">jtu...@...> wrote:
I know I've asked before, but I wonder if anyone has previous experience with using PostrgeSQL on Linux with VAST using ODBC.

Is this adventurous construct production ready?

Of course I would prefer to use a native V3 driver in VAST but since it doesn't exist (yet?), I also wonder if there is anothervstable alternative.

The requirements are not too demanding, we avoid B/CLOB data types or xml/json or object-relational sql extensions in our application anyways. We currently use DB2 and have strange outages from time to time....

Joachim

Re: VAST and pgsqlodbc on Linux

jtuchel
Donald,

I absolutely trust in VASTs ODBC support on Windows. I've been using it with Access, Oracle, Sybase and maybe a few more.
My scepticism is more about ODBC and Linux and VAST on top of that...

Joachim

Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2018 22:38:11 UTC+2 schrieb Donald MacQueen:
Joachim,

I have used ODBC to talk to MySQL and it works pretty well. YMMV.

Donald

Re: VAST and pgsqlodbc on Linux

jtuchel
Leonardo,

Thanks for this signal. So at least somebody got it to work. Is there anything about the project available publicly?

Going from DB2 to PostgreSQL promises to be enough work to make this a little project of its own, so I was looking for evidence it is at least worth trying.

Anyways, thank you very much for sharing.

Joachim