VC/PAI problem when cutting subviews

Bill Schwab
Blair,

I can't reproduce this one at will, but, it happened four times today, twice
when I was actively trying to make it happen.  It has something to do with
cutting a view in the VC.  In particular, I was trying to remove a card from
a card container, and I _think_ that's been the case each time it's
happened.

On the most recent occurance, I used the debugger to trace the parent
presenter heirarchy to the the PAI in the VC (I was expecting to be lead to
the view hierarchy).  It's looking for a view by arrangement.  It might be
race condition that usually ends the one would like; perhaps a deferred
action that sometimes gets processed too late??  I recently fixed a bug in
one of my apps that turned out to be caused by modifying a collection while
iterating it; it was also somewhat difficult to reproduce until we hit just
the right sequence of operations.

Have a good one,

Bill

ExpandingTreeModel(Object)>>errorNotFound:
[] in ExpandingTreeModel(TreeModel)>>getNodeFor:
IdentityDictionary(LookupTable)>>at:ifAbsent:
ExpandingTreeModel(TreeModel)>>getNodeFor:ifAbsent:
ExpandingTreeModel(TreeModel)>>getNodeFor:
ExpandingTreeModel(TreeModel)>>hasChildren:
TreeView>>onDisplayDetailsRequired:
TreeView(IconicListAbstract)>>nmGetDispInfo:
TreeView>>nmNotify:
ContainerView(View)>>wmNotify:wParam:lParam:
ContainerView(View)>>dispatchMessage:wParam:lParam:
[] in InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>callback:evaluate:
InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
TreeView(ControlView)>>defaultWindowProcessing:wParam:lParam:
TreeView(ControlView)>>wmPaint:wParam:lParam:
TreeView(View)>>dispatchMessage:wParam:lParam:
[] in InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>callback:evaluate:
InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
InputState>>pumpMessage:
InputState>>loopWhile:
InputState>>mainLoop
[] in InputState>>forkMain
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>markAndTry
[] in ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: VC/PAI problem when cutting subviews

Artur Zaroda
Hello,

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Bill Schwab wrote:

> I can't reproduce this one at will, but, it happened four times today, twice
> when I was actively trying to make it happen.  It has something to do with
> cutting a view in the VC.  In particular, I was trying to remove a card from
> a card container, and I _think_ that's been the case each time it's
> happened.

I see that as well. I can add to what Bill said, that the view being
modified does not have to be a card container. Just dropping a couple
of static texts on shell and then deleting them in random order
walkbacks. I can't reproduce that reliably, but it happens about 5 out of
10 times. I believe that PAI is trying to display aspect of a view, that
has just been deleted.

Artur Zaroda
[hidden email]