Quantcast

VM Automated builds update

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko
 
A) We split the build on two stages:

1. job which watching the git repository , and then checks out latest
version of sources and builds image with VMMaker preloaded in it.

An output of this job is:

 - archived snapshot of checked out sources
 - archived image with VMMaker + CMakeVMMaker installed


 2. job which takes the results of above one, and generating sources
files and cmake configuration (specific to target build) and then
makes VM

An output of this job is:
- achive containing
   - checked out sources + generated source + cmake configs + image
with vmmaker

   - a built VM


B) We finally were able to run build process on Mac slaves and as
result, build Mac-specific VMs.



See following for a list of jobs:
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/


Here jobs which are working now and you can download produced
artifacts from them:

Cog Linux JIT:
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/Cog%20Unix/
Stack VM Linux:
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/Stack%20VM%20Unix/


Mac Cog Jit (Carbon)

https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/Cog%20Mac%20Carbon/

Mac Stack VM (Carbon)
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/StackVM%20Mac%20Carbon/


Once Esteban adopt his sources to our build system, we will also build
a Cocoa versions of Cog/Stack VMs for Mac.

(btw, prod Esteban to produce config for cross-compiling Stack VM for
iPhone target :)


--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Matthew Fulmer
 
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 02:52:58PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Here jobs which are working now and you can download produced
> artifacts from them:

Will there be any automated builds of the stable non-cog VMs?
Cog is currently unusable for cobalt
(http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=3), and the
windows interpreter VM is ancient

--
Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by Igor Stasenko

Ah, forgot to mention, that
cmake configs in archive won't work out of the box for you,
because in the file

build/directories.cmake

there is an absolute path names. Yeah.. and we can't avoid that.
So, before running cmake you should fix those.
Or you can just fire-up the generator.image
and run
<YourConfig> generate.

to update the generated cmake files.



On 15 March 2011 14:52, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A) We split the build on two stages:
>
> 1. job which watching the git repository , and then checks out latest
> version of sources and builds image with VMMaker preloaded in it.
>
> An output of this job is:
>
>  - archived snapshot of checked out sources
>  - archived image with VMMaker + CMakeVMMaker installed
>
>
>  2. job which takes the results of above one, and generating sources
> files and cmake configuration (specific to target build) and then
> makes VM
>
> An output of this job is:
> - achive containing
>   - checked out sources + generated source + cmake configs + image
> with vmmaker
>
>   - a built VM
>
>
> B) We finally were able to run build process on Mac slaves and as
> result, build Mac-specific VMs.
>
>
>
> See following for a list of jobs:
> https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/
>
>
> Here jobs which are working now and you can download produced
> artifacts from them:
>
> Cog Linux JIT:
> https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/Cog%20Unix/
> Stack VM Linux:
> https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/Stack%20VM%20Unix/
>
>
> Mac Cog Jit (Carbon)
>
> https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/Cog%20Mac%20Carbon/
>
> Mac Stack VM (Carbon)
> https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/StackVM%20Mac%20Carbon/
>
>
> Once Esteban adopt his sources to our build system, we will also build
> a Cocoa versions of Cog/Stack VMs for Mac.
>
> (btw, prod Esteban to produce config for cross-compiling Stack VM for
> iPhone target :)
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>



--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by Matthew Fulmer
 
On 15 March 2011 15:00, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 02:52:58PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> Here jobs which are working now and you can download produced
>> artifacts from them:
>
> Will there be any automated builds of the stable non-cog VMs?

If someone could adopt it , then why not.
I simply don't have time for it. Sorry :(

We decided to go with Stack and JIT Cog into future, and leave old VM behind.
It is too much time and energy to maintain 3 different VMs on 3+
different platforms.

So, please make us aware, what is not working for you in Cog, and we
will gradually fix that, so you can happily run Cobalt on it.

> Cog is currently unusable for cobalt
> (http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=3), and the
> windows interpreter VM is ancient
>

I am going to provide Win32-specific cmake configs and integrate them
into build system.
This is my current priority right now.

> --
> Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)
>



--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Matthew Fulmer
 
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 03:08:17PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>  
> On 15 March 2011 15:00, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 02:52:58PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> >> Here jobs which are working now and you can download produced
> >> artifacts from them:
> >
> > Will there be any automated builds of the stable non-cog VMs?
>
> If someone could adopt it , then why not.
> I simply don't have time for it. Sorry :(
>
> We decided to go with Stack and JIT Cog into future, and leave old VM behind.
> It is too much time and energy to maintain 3 different VMs on 3+
> different platforms.

if not maintain, then how about build a final release to say
goodbye to the platform? We're stuck running
cobalt on Squeak 3.8 until one of the following two happen:

There is a windows interpreter VM able to run cog images, and
newer than april 2010, and there is a mac interpreter VM with
all the plugins. The unix 4.4.7 VM released for squeak 4.2 works
great; I wish there was a windows and mac vm like it

OR

all the kinks get worked out of cog

--
Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Andrew Gaylard
 
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 03:08:17PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>
> On 15 March 2011 15:00, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Will there be any automated builds of the stable non-cog VMs?
>
> If someone could adopt it , then why not.
> I simply don't have time for it. Sorry :(
>
> We decided to go with Stack and JIT Cog into future, and leave old VM behind.
> It is too much time and energy to maintain 3 different VMs on 3+
> different platforms.

Hi Igor,

Thanks so much for getting the auto-builds going.
This will help greatly with keeping the codebase
"real" (i.e. identifying patches which break the build).

I've been waiting on the sidelines for an official
release of the new VM before taking it for a spin;
our code still expects the 3.10-4 VM.

So do the new VMs require a x86 CPU? -- we've been
running on SPARC under Solaris.  If so, then a final
release of the "traditional" VM would be wonderful.

- Andrew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Matthew Fulmer
 
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 05:02:27PM +0200, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
> So do the new VMs require a x86 CPU? -- we've been
> running on SPARC under Solaris.  If so, then a final
> release of the "traditional" VM would be wonderful.

There are two flavors of the new vm: Cog, and Stack. Cog only
runs on x86. Stack should run anywhere; it's a bug if it
doesn't, I believe

--
Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Levente Uzonyi-2
In reply to this post by Matthew Fulmer
 
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 03:08:17PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> On 15 March 2011 15:00, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 02:52:58PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>> Here jobs which are working now and you can download produced
>>>> artifacts from them:
>>>
>>> Will there be any automated builds of the stable non-cog VMs?
>>
>> If someone could adopt it , then why not.
>> I simply don't have time for it. Sorry :(
>>
>> We decided to go with Stack and JIT Cog into future, and leave old VM behind.
>> It is too much time and energy to maintain 3 different VMs on 3+
>> different platforms.
>
> if not maintain, then how about build a final release to say
> goodbye to the platform? We're stuck running

Note that Igor is a paid Pharo developer, he's talking about Pharo's
decision. Squeak developers plan to support the interpreter VMs for a
while to give people more time for the transition to CogVM (which as you
already noticed doesn't have all the features of SqueakVM yet).

> cobalt on Squeak 3.8 until one of the following two happen:
>
> There is a windows interpreter VM able to run cog images, and
> newer than april 2010, and there is a mac interpreter VM with

Andreas is the maintainer of the Windows SqueakVM. He's busy nowadays, but
I'm sure he will release a new Windows VM in the near future. But if
you're impatient, then you can build one yourself and see if anything has
to be fixed.

> all the plugins. The unix 4.4.7 VM released for squeak 4.2 works
> great; I wish there was a windows and mac vm like it

Try the 5.7.4 Mac VM, if it's built from the latest VMMaker sources
(which I guess it is), then it should be like the 4.4.7 Unix VM.


Levente

>
> OR
>
> all the kinks get worked out of cog
>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by Matthew Fulmer

On 15 March 2011 16:16, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 05:02:27PM +0200, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
>> So do the new VMs require a x86 CPU? -- we've been
>> running on SPARC under Solaris.  If so, then a final
>> release of the "traditional" VM would be wonderful.
>
> There are two flavors of the new vm: Cog, and Stack. Cog only
> runs on x86. Stack should run anywhere; it's a bug if it
> doesn't, I believe
>

Right.

> --
> Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)
>



--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Levente Uzonyi-2
In reply to this post by Andrew Gaylard
 
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Andrew Gaylard wrote:

>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 03:08:17PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> On 15 March 2011 15:00, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Will there be any automated builds of the stable non-cog VMs?
>>
>> If someone could adopt it , then why not.
>> I simply don't have time for it. Sorry :(
>>
>> We decided to go with Stack and JIT Cog into future, and leave old VM behind.
>> It is too much time and energy to maintain 3 different VMs on 3+
>> different platforms.
>
> Hi Igor,
>
> Thanks so much for getting the auto-builds going.
> This will help greatly with keeping the codebase
> "real" (i.e. identifying patches which break the build).
>
> I've been waiting on the sidelines for an official
> release of the new VM before taking it for a spin;
> our code still expects the 3.10-4 VM.
>
> So do the new VMs require a x86 CPU? -- we've been

Currently only the x86 code generator is implemented for the JIT.

> running on SPARC under Solaris.  If so, then a final
> release of the "traditional" VM would be wonderful.

On Solaris you should run the Unix VM. Version 4.4.7 was recently released
by Ian and I doubt it's a "final release". You can download the source
code for that release from here:

http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.4.7.2357-src.tar.gz


Levente

>
> - Andrew
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by Levente Uzonyi-2
 
On 15 March 2011 16:35, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 03:08:17PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>
>>> On 15 March 2011 15:00, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 02:52:58PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Here jobs which are working now and you can download produced
>>>>> artifacts from them:
>>>>
>>>> Will there be any automated builds of the stable non-cog VMs?
>>>
>>> If someone could adopt it , then why not.
>>> I simply don't have time for it. Sorry :(
>>>
>>> We decided to go with Stack and JIT Cog into future, and leave old VM
>>> behind.
>>> It is too much time and energy to maintain 3 different VMs on 3+
>>> different platforms.
>>
>> if not maintain, then how about build a final release to say
>> goodbye to the platform? We're stuck running
>
> Note that Igor is a paid Pharo developer, he's talking about Pharo's
> decision. Squeak developers plan to support the interpreter VMs for a while
> to give people more time for the transition to CogVM (which as you already
> noticed doesn't have all the features of SqueakVM yet).
>

Yes.
Stack-based VMs are very close to old Squeak VM. And i don't expect
much pain in transition (there is some plugins which is broken, but
most of them functional).
The problem was (and with Hudson is now fixed) that nobody cared to
build Stack VMs and make them public,
so people could try and see if it works for them.


>> cobalt on Squeak 3.8 until one of the following two happen:
>>
>> There is a windows interpreter VM able to run cog images, and
>> newer than april 2010, and there is a mac interpreter VM with
>
> Andreas is the maintainer of the Windows SqueakVM. He's busy nowadays, but
> I'm sure he will release a new Windows VM in the near future. But if you're
> impatient, then you can build one yourself and see if anything has to be
> fixed.
>
>> all the plugins. The unix 4.4.7 VM released for squeak 4.2 works
>> great; I wish there was a windows and mac vm like it
>
> Try the 5.7.4 Mac VM, if it's built from the latest VMMaker sources (which I
> guess it is), then it should be like the 4.4.7 Unix VM.
>
>
> Levente
>
>>
>> OR
>>
>> all the kinks get worked out of cog
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)
>>
>



--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Matthew Fulmer
In reply to this post by Levente Uzonyi-2
 
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 04:35:16PM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> Try the 5.7.4 Mac VM, if it's built from the latest VMMaker sources
> (which I guess it is), then it should be like the 4.4.7 Unix VM.

from http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-February/006922.html :

The mac VM 5.7.4 is missing at least the following plugins,
needed by Cobalt:

Asynchfileplusin
B3dAccelerateorPlugin
Croquetplugin
FloatmathPlugin
JoysticktablePLugin
MidiPlugin
Mpeg3Plugin
SerialPlugin

I don't know where else to report this

--
Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

EstebanLM

Hi,

El 15/03/2011, a las 12:48p.m., Matthew Fulmer escribió:

>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 04:35:16PM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> Try the 5.7.4 Mac VM, if it's built from the latest VMMaker sources
>> (which I guess it is), then it should be like the 4.4.7 Unix VM.
>
> from http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-February/006922.html :
>
> The mac VM 5.7.4 is missing at least the following plugins,
> needed by Cobalt:
>
> Asynchfileplusin
> B3dAccelerateorPlugin
> Croquetplugin
> FloatmathPlugin
> JoysticktablePLugin
> MidiPlugin
> Mpeg3Plugin
> SerialPlugin
>
> I don't know where else to report this

yes... I'm aware of this... 5.x series still lacks a lot of plugins.
I'm sorry, I didn't have the time yet to build them. It is in my "infinite TODO", and soon or later I will take it and push it :)
In fact, I want to make some tweaks to CMake generator, so it can generate also external plugins... I think is better than build manually all of the plugins ( (as there are a lot of them :) )

Cheers,
Esteban

>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Levente Uzonyi-2
In reply to this post by Igor Stasenko
 
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>
> On 15 March 2011 16:35, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 03:08:17PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On 15 March 2011 15:00, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 02:52:58PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Here jobs which are working now and you can download produced
>>>>>> artifacts from them:
>>>>>
>>>>> Will there be any automated builds of the stable non-cog VMs?
>>>>
>>>> If someone could adopt it , then why not.
>>>> I simply don't have time for it. Sorry :(
>>>>
>>>> We decided to go with Stack and JIT Cog into future, and leave old VM
>>>> behind.
>>>> It is too much time and energy to maintain 3 different VMs on 3+
>>>> different platforms.
>>>
>>> if not maintain, then how about build a final release to say
>>> goodbye to the platform? We're stuck running
>>
>> Note that Igor is a paid Pharo developer, he's talking about Pharo's
>> decision. Squeak developers plan to support the interpreter VMs for a while
>> to give people more time for the transition to CogVM (which as you already
>> noticed doesn't have all the features of SqueakVM yet).
>>
>
> Yes.
> Stack-based VMs are very close to old Squeak VM. And i don't expect
> much pain in transition (there is some plugins which is broken, but
> most of them functional).
> The problem was (and with Hudson is now fixed) that nobody cared to
> build Stack VMs and make them public,
> so people could try and see if it works for them.

The main functional differences between SqueakVM and StackVM are:
- StackVM requires 6505 images (maybe 6504, i'm not sure) while
SqueakVM can execute 6502, 6504 and 6505 images.
- StackVM's plugins (same for Cog) lack fixes compared to SqueakVM. For
example SoundPlugin doesn't work at all on Windows, SocketPlugin lacks the
IPv6 changes on all platforms, etc


Levente

>
>
>>> cobalt on Squeak 3.8 until one of the following two happen:
>>>
>>> There is a windows interpreter VM able to run cog images, and
>>> newer than april 2010, and there is a mac interpreter VM with
>>
>> Andreas is the maintainer of the Windows SqueakVM. He's busy nowadays, but
>> I'm sure he will release a new Windows VM in the near future. But if you're
>> impatient, then you can build one yourself and see if anything has to be
>> fixed.
>>
>>> all the plugins. The unix 4.4.7 VM released for squeak 4.2 works
>>> great; I wish there was a windows and mac vm like it
>>
>> Try the 5.7.4 Mac VM, if it's built from the latest VMMaker sources (which I
>> guess it is), then it should be like the 4.4.7 Unix VM.
>>
>>
>> Levente
>>
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> all the kinks get worked out of cog
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)
>>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko
 
>
> The main functional differences between SqueakVM and StackVM are:
> - StackVM requires 6505 images (maybe 6504, i'm not sure) while SqueakVM can
> execute 6502, 6504 and 6505 images.

not a big deal. I think everyone aware that Cog using newer image version(s).


> - StackVM's plugins (same for Cog) lack fixes compared to SqueakVM. For
> example SoundPlugin doesn't work at all on Windows, SocketPlugin lacks the
> IPv6 changes on all platforms, etc
>

So, someone has to diff & port them..

>
> Levente
>

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Levente Uzonyi-2
 
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>
>>
>> The main functional differences between SqueakVM and StackVM are:
>> - StackVM requires 6505 images (maybe 6504, i'm not sure) while SqueakVM can
>> execute 6502, 6504 and 6505 images.
>
> not a big deal. I think everyone aware that Cog using newer image version(s).

Not a big deal, for you.

Someone just mentioned, that they're using 3.10-4 VM on Solaris, so they
don't use newer image versions. We also have some Squeak 3.9 images
deployed and we're not planning to upgrade them yet. The latest Etoys and
Cobalt releases use the old image format.

>
>
>> - StackVM's plugins (same for Cog) lack fixes compared to SqueakVM. For
>> example SoundPlugin doesn't work at all on Windows, SocketPlugin lacks the
>> IPv6 changes on all platforms, etc
>>
>
> So, someone has to diff & port them..

Oh, thanks for the info, I thought they will merge themselves
automagically.


Levente

>
>>
>> Levente
>>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

stephane ducasse-4
In reply to this post by Levente Uzonyi-2

Hi Levente

Well we could have build an infrastructure only for pharo and do not share it but this is not the case.
You can freely use the three months of effort of igor (payed for pharo indeed) to build an automatic build server.
All the vms produced on the build server are also freely accessible. So people wanting CogVM can just use them.

Noticed also that the infrastructure will make
        - building VMs after every single commit (no need to wait several months for one new vms) so high availability of recent vms
        - helping vm developers to improve the reproduction of bugs and regression
        - engaging the community to really invest in the vms and contribute.

Notice also that what igor is doing is open, everybody can clone and contribute.

Stef
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by Levente Uzonyi-2
 
On 15 March 2011 17:35, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>>
>>>
>>> The main functional differences between SqueakVM and StackVM are:
>>> - StackVM requires 6505 images (maybe 6504, i'm not sure) while SqueakVM
>>> can
>>> execute 6502, 6504 and 6505 images.
>>
>> not a big deal. I think everyone aware that Cog using newer image
>> version(s).
>
> Not a big deal, for you.
>
> Someone just mentioned, that they're using 3.10-4 VM on Solaris, so they
> don't use newer image versions. We also have some Squeak 3.9 images deployed
> and we're not planning to upgrade them yet. The latest Etoys and Cobalt
> releases use the old image format.
>

Well, if people decided to stick with old images, it is their choice.
And once they decide to migrate,
then there is a way to do that. I see nothing complicated there.

Either you stay with old MS-DOS, and run your application using DosBox , or
you run it on x64 compiled using modern compiler. The choice is always yours :)


>>
>>
>>> - StackVM's plugins (same for Cog) lack fixes compared to SqueakVM. For
>>> example SoundPlugin doesn't work at all on Windows, SocketPlugin lacks
>>> the
>>> IPv6 changes on all platforms, etc
>>>
>>
>> So, someone has to diff & port them..
>
> Oh, thanks for the info, I thought they will merge themselves automagically.
>

I meant that we should address that in future. If these fixes were so
important, then old VMs would be built once fixes
available, but not once per year.
I also don't like losing important fixes. But first things first.

>
> Levente
>



--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by stephane ducasse-4

On 15 March 2011 19:38, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi Levente
>
> Well we could have build an infrastructure only for pharo and do not share it but this is not the case.
> You can freely use the three months of effort of igor (payed for pharo indeed) to build an automatic build server.
> All the vms produced on the build server are also freely accessible. So people wanting CogVM can just use them.
>
> Noticed also that the infrastructure will make
>        - building VMs after every single commit (no need to wait several months for one new vms) so high availability of recent vms
>        - helping vm developers to improve the reproduction of bugs and regression
>        - engaging the community to really invest in the vms and contribute.
>
> Notice also that what igor is doing is open, everybody can clone and contribute.

Yes, that was the idea. Everyone can join and participate. The intent
was to make it as easy as possible.
And it is - just register at gitorious, clone your copy of cogvm and you are in.

>
> Stef



--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VM Automated builds update

David T. Lewis
In reply to this post by Igor Stasenko
 
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:22:27PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>  
> On 15 March 2011 17:35, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>>
> >>> The main functional differences between SqueakVM and StackVM are:
> >>> - StackVM requires 6505 images (maybe 6504, i'm not sure) while SqueakVM
> >>> can
> >>> execute 6502, 6504 and 6505 images.
> >>
> >> not a big deal. I think everyone aware that Cog using newer image
> >> version(s).
> >
> > Not a big deal, for you.
> >
> > Someone just mentioned, that they're using 3.10-4 VM on Solaris, so they
> > don't use newer image versions. We also have some Squeak 3.9 images deployed
> > and we're not planning to upgrade them yet. The latest Etoys and Cobalt
> > releases use the old image format.
> >
>
> Well, if people decided to stick with old images, it is their choice.
> And once they decide to migrate,
> then there is a way to do that. I see nothing complicated there.
>
> Either you stay with old MS-DOS, and run your application using DosBox , or
> you run it on x64 compiled using modern compiler. The choice is always yours :)
>

For whatever it may be worth, I intend to continue supporting the traditional
interpreter VM to the best of my ability for the forseeable future. I also
intend to help as best I can to support Cog and hopefully to help merge
code bases and reduce redundancy where possible. Finally, I think that the
work Igor is doing for automated builds is very valuable.

Let's be glad for the progress that is being made with new VMs and new
build processes, but please do not assume that this progress comes at
the expense of all that has come before. It just ain't so.

$0.02,

Dave

12
Loading...