VM Building questions

Dave Raymer
Gentlefolk,

I've started playing with VM building and I've got a few questions, perhaps observations for which I was unable to find answers/confirmations.

Using: Win32 system, v1545 out of SVN repo; VMMakerTool

The following plugins don't have an platform specific files:  FileCopyPlugin and InternetConfigPlugin
The following plugins fail when VM generation is attempted.

BalloonEnginePlugin, BitBltSimulation, DeflatePlugin, FFTPlugin, HostWindowPlugin, JoystickTabletPlugin, JPEGReadWriter2Plugin,
LargeIntegersPlugin, Mpeg3Plugin, RePlugin, SerialPlugin, SocketPlugin, SoundCodecPlugin, SoundPlugin.**

I did not attempt to "generate" MacMenubarPlugin, MIDIPlugin, or  TestOSAPlugin.

Is this expected, or am I doing something wrong?

regards,
  Dave

**All fail with in the same spot...(indicated in red below) with a MessageNotUnderstood. spec ccgDecleareCForVar: argName.
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
handlePrimitiveDirective: aStmt on: sStream

    isPrimitive := true.
    fullArgs := args.
    locals addAll: args.
    args := OrderedCollection new.
    fullArgs with: parmSpecs do:
        [:argName :spec |
            declarations
                at: argName
                put: (spec ccgDeclareCForVar: argName)].
    aStmt isAssignment ifTrue:
        [declarations
            at: aStmt variable name
            put: (rcvrSpec ccgDeclareCForVar: aStmt variable name).
         sStream nextPutAll: (self
            statementsFor:
                (rcvrSpec
                    ccg:        SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator new
                    prolog:  [:expr | aStmt variable name, ' _ ', expr]
                    expr:     aStmt variable name
                    index:     (fullArgs size))
            varName: '')].

    "only add the failure guard if there are args or it is an assignment"
    (fullArgs isEmpty not or:[aStmt isAssignment]) ifTrue:[self generateFailureGuardOn: sStream].
    ^true.

Re: VM Building questions

Bert Freudenberg
The #ccgDecleareCForVar: methods were moved out of the system image
into VMMaker recently. The 3.8 image should still have them, IIRC. Or
use a more recent version of VMMaker that includes them. So - what
image version and VMMaker version do you have?

The plugins with missing platform files were not yet ported to Win32.
MIDI should work fine there, however.

Note that hacking the VM is not exactly considered a beginner's topic
among Squeakers. You might want to subscribe to the VM-Dev list for
that.

- Bert -

Am 05.10.2006 um 20:42 schrieb Dave Raymer:

> Gentlefolk,
>
> I've started playing with VM building and I've got a few questions,
> perhaps observations for which I was unable to find answers/
> confirmations.
>
> Using: Win32 system, v1545 out of SVN repo; VMMakerTool
>
> The following plugins don't have an platform specific files:
> FileCopyPlugin and InternetConfigPlugin
> The following plugins fail when VM generation is attempted.
>
> BalloonEnginePlugin, BitBltSimulation, DeflatePlugin, FFTPlugin,
> HostWindowPlugin, JoystickTabletPlugin, JPEGReadWriter2Plugin,
> LargeIntegersPlugin, Mpeg3Plugin, RePlugin, SerialPlugin,
> SocketPlugin, SoundCodecPlugin, SoundPlugin.**
>
> I did not attempt to "generate" MacMenubarPlugin, MIDIPlugin, or
> TestOSAPlugin.
>
> Is this expected, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> regards,
>   Dave
>

> **All fail with in the same spot...(indicated in red below) with a
> MessageNotUnderstood. spec ccgDecleareCForVar: argName.
> #
> ------------------------
> handlePrimitiveDirective: aStmt on: sStream
>
>     isPrimitive := true.
>     fullArgs := args.
>     locals addAll: args.
>     args := OrderedCollection new.
>     fullArgs with: parmSpecs do:
>         [:argName :spec |
>             declarations
>                 at: argName
>                 put: (spec ccgDeclareCForVar: argName)].
>     aStmt isAssignment ifTrue:
>         [declarations
>             at: aStmt variable name
>             put: (rcvrSpec ccgDeclareCForVar: aStmt variable name).
>          sStream nextPutAll: (self
>             statementsFor:
>                 (rcvrSpec
>                     ccg:        SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator new
>                     prolog:  [:expr | aStmt variable name, ' _ ',
> expr]
>                     expr:     aStmt variable name
>                     index:     (fullArgs size))
>             varName: '')].
>
>     "only add the failure guard if there are args or it is an
> assignment"
>     (fullArgs isEmpty not or:[aStmt isAssignment]) ifTrue:[self
> generateFailureGuardOn: sStream].
>     ^true.

Re: VM Building questions

Dave Raymer
Bert,

I'm using what I think is a fully updated version of 3.8.1 -- used the full image off the squeak.org site, then updated via squeak map.

-- dave

On 10/5/06, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
The #ccgDecleareCForVar: methods were moved out of the system image
into VMMaker recently. The 3.8 image should still have them, IIRC. Or
use a more recent version of VMMaker that includes them. So - what
image version and VMMaker version do you have?

The plugins with missing platform files were not yet ported to Win32.
MIDI should work fine there, however.

Note that hacking the VM is not exactly considered a beginner's topic
among Squeakers. You might want to subscribe to the VM-Dev list for
that.

- Bert -

Am 05.10.2006 um 20:42 schrieb Dave Raymer:

> Gentlefolk,
>
> I've started playing with VM building and I've got a few questions,
> perhaps observations for which I was unable to find answers/
> confirmations.
>
> Using: Win32 system, v1545 out of SVN repo; VMMakerTool
>
> The following plugins don't have an platform specific files:
> FileCopyPlugin and InternetConfigPlugin
> The following plugins fail when VM generation is attempted.

> BalloonEnginePlugin, BitBltSimulation, DeflatePlugin, FFTPlugin,
> HostWindowPlugin, JoystickTabletPlugin, JPEGReadWriter2Plugin,
> LargeIntegersPlugin, Mpeg3Plugin, RePlugin, SerialPlugin,
> SocketPlugin, SoundCodecPlugin, SoundPlugin.**
>
> I did not attempt to "generate" MacMenubarPlugin, MIDIPlugin, or
> TestOSAPlugin.
>
> Is this expected, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> regards,
>   Dave
>

> **All fail with in the same spot...(indicated in red below) with a
> MessageNotUnderstood. spec ccgDecleareCForVar: argName.
> #
> ------------------------
> handlePrimitiveDirective: aStmt on: sStream
>
>     isPrimitive := true.
>     fullArgs := args.
>     locals addAll: args.
>     args := OrderedCollection new.
>     fullArgs with: parmSpecs do:
>         [:argName :spec |
>             declarations
>                 at: argName
>                 put: (spec ccgDeclareCForVar: argName)].
>     aStmt isAssignment ifTrue:
>         [declarations
>             at: aStmt variable name
>             put: (rcvrSpec ccgDeclareCForVar: aStmt variable name).
>          sStream nextPutAll: (self
>             statementsFor:
>                 (rcvrSpec
>                     ccg:        SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator new
>                     prolog:  [:expr | aStmt variable name, ' _ ',
> expr]
>                     expr:     aStmt variable name
>                     index:     (fullArgs size))
>             varName: '')].
>
>     "only add the failure guard if there are args or it is an
> assignment"
>     (fullArgs isEmpty not or:[aStmt isAssignment]) ifTrue:[self
> generateFailureGuardOn: sStream].
>     ^true.

Re: VM Building questions

Bert Freudenberg